Author Topic: Cross Training: Rowing  (Read 228854 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Cross Training: Rowing
« Reply #1000 on: 29 December, 2016, 02:14:27 pm »
The joy of having time over Christmas.  I should probably have gone out for a run this morning and taken advantage of the frozen ground, but I had a slight niggle at the top of the quad on my last run, which didn't seem to be impacted by the Concept 2.  So I set off at what I thought was a sustainable pace and decided to see if I could keep going all the way to 25,000m.  There was a moment of stress at about 6000m when the jambox ran out of power and the music died, but CET Junior was summoned to provide a cable and get the bluetooth going again.  Then it was plain sailing (as far as you can sail on steel contraption sitting on a concrete floor) up until the half-marathon point (my previous distance best) when it started to feel like hard work.  But by then it was almost over and the magic of almost there took over (after a bit of a wobble when I realised that 10% to go was still 2500m).

Contact points were OK, just a couple of warm points on callouses, which suggests that a marathon would be possible, although I would have to think about hydration and energy drinks.  If anyone has rowed a marathon on a Concept 2 would be interested in what they did with feeding/drinking strategies.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

simonp

« Reply #1001 on: 29 December, 2016, 02:23:07 pm »
Nice one. Hoping to get last water session of 2016 on Saturday. And first of 2017 on Tuesday. My new club kit should be waiting for me.  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1002 on: 29 December, 2016, 04:53:29 pm »
I think "hour records" are a brilliant thing. There aren't many sports where they are practical for Joe Public, so I urge you (indoor) rowers to make the most of the opportunity  :thumbsup:

(I'm too slow to ride a 25 in an hour, so I am cruelly excluded from that option :P )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1003 on: 29 December, 2016, 06:33:24 pm »
I think "hour records" are a brilliant thing. There aren't many sports where they are practical for Joe Public, so I urge you (indoor) rowers to make the most of the opportunity  :thumbsup:

(I'm too slow to ride a 25 in an hour, so I am cruelly excluded from that option :P )

I think the holy grail for the hour would be 16095m (10 miles), but like most holy grails on the rower it's just out of reach (like that mythical hour for 25 (61:09); I did 15811m once, but that extra 300m was something like 1.5s splits over 500m, which is a chasm.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

simonp

« Reply #1004 on: 29 December, 2016, 07:35:02 pm »
Paul's law to calculate expected pace given a pace at a different distance.

http://www.machars.net/#paulslaw

My fastest 10K (from 2010) is 39:29.9 and my fastest (much more recent) 2K is 7:13.2. This 2K results in a significantly slower 10K prediction though I should still apparently be able to be under 40 minutes. 2010 was by far my highest milage year.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1005 on: 04 January, 2017, 04:01:22 pm »
Paul's law to calculate expected pace given a pace at a different distance.

http://www.machars.net/#paulslaw

My fastest 10K (from 2010) is 39:29.9 and my fastest (much more recent) 2K is 7:13.2. This 2K results in a significantly slower 10K prediction though I should still apparently be able to be under 40 minutes. 2010 was by far my highest milage year.

That's an interesting calculator.  My best 10k this year was only 3 seconds per 500m quicker than my half-marathon, and I would have said that I found the 10k tougher than the half-marathon.  But that might be after many years of Audax that I am not a speed and endurance balanced athlete.  Certainly I wouldn't get close to the 2000m time predicted from my 10000m time, although I would be delighted to do so. 

The good news is that, based on my 10k time I'd get under the 3 hours for the marathon  :thumbsup:  That is, once I've got over my black ice induced hip injury that looks like reducing my January metres to not very much.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1006 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:32:03 pm »
i did my first ever timed attempt on a concept2 rower (while waiting for a wattbike to become available), 5km in 20:28. the resistance, as i found out afterwards was set to 10, i reckon somewhere around 6-7 would have been more suitable.
rowing speed compares pretty well with running speed, doesn't it?

simonp

« Reply #1007 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:51:42 pm »
I typically go a bit lower resistance. Rowing club advice is to display drag factor and adjust until it's 130 as this gives consistency between machines. Usually this is around 5.

My PB for 5K is 18:56 iirc. You are a much faster cyclist than me so with proper form and getting used to the machine you could surely beat that.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1008 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:07:53 pm »
i almost started laughing when my arms started giving up half way through, such a contrast compared with the legs! ;D

another question - is there a technique to avoid blisters on one's hands? would mitts help?

simonp

« Reply #1009 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:22:46 pm »
Generally blisters mean you need to have a more relaxed grip. Try gripping with just your fingers and leave the thumb on top. I do get calluses which will help eventually.

It sounds like you are using too much arms. 75% or more should come from legs, a bit from the body and only a little bit of arms. There are plenty YouTube videos showing good technique.

For working on form it's a good practice to row at a lower stroke rate and really feel the push in the legs. Maybe 22spm. As you improve you can work efficiently at higher rates.

« Reply #1010 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:16:50 pm »
another question - is there a technique to avoid blisters on one's hands? would mitts help?

No and no.
I don't grip tightly and I get blisters all the time, despite being a pretty regular rower. You build calluses (like when you're a regular lifter) and if you're me, then get blisters under the calluses when you do a long session. I've read that cleaning the handlebar properly may help. I tried cycling mitts and they made no difference, and I got rubbing from the seams.
I maybe wouldn't get blisters if I could knock out 5k in 20+ minutes rather than 23+, mind.  ;)

« Reply #1011 on: 25 January, 2017, 07:31:34 am »
I typically go a bit lower resistance. Rowing club advice is to display drag factor and adjust until it's 130 as this gives consistency between machines. Usually this is around 5.

My PB for 5K is 18:56 iirc. You are a much faster cyclist than me so with proper form and getting used to the machine you could surely beat that.

Where do you see the drag factor?.

simonp

« Reply #1013 on: 30 January, 2017, 08:58:48 am »
Perfect thanks. Turned out that on that particular rower, it's at 5.5, where I usually tend to set it anyway.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #1014 on: 08 March, 2017, 09:49:23 pm »
Silly tonight.

Chased the fish for 10 minutes, and 10860 points at darts...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

simonp

« Reply #1015 on: 15 March, 2017, 03:07:18 pm »
7037m in 30:00 r22

« Reply #1016 on: 30 March, 2017, 12:26:57 pm »
I've bought a boat!  A 10 year old janousek 1x called Emily. 

I coach during normal adult outings, then the juniors use all the sculls in the other sessions when I'm not coaching so I never get to actually row any more, and I really miss it.  I got free rack space at a club where I do occasional coaching and found this online for a sensible amount (1500), and he threw in some blades with it too so I thought why not?  I did a couple of years of sculling 10 years ago and love it.   Just need to get fit now... :D

simonp

« Reply #1017 on: 30 March, 2017, 12:44:55 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Two water sessions for me this week - 7 seat in an 8 on Tuesday, and I'll be in 3 seat in a 4 on Saturday.

We have a training camp coming up in April, chance to really get some decent time on the water.

JJ

« Reply #1018 on: 30 March, 2017, 03:02:16 pm »
I've been out in an old farts VIII two Sundays in a row.  That's a 20 year PR!

JJ

« Reply #1019 on: 30 March, 2017, 03:10:00 pm »
I've bought a boat!  A 10 year old janousek 1x called Emily. 

I coach during normal adult outings, then the juniors use all the sculls in the other sessions when I'm not coaching so I never get to actually row any more, and I really miss it.  I got free rack space at a club where I do occasional coaching and found this online for a sensible amount (1500), and he threw in some blades with it too so I thought why not?  I did a couple of years of sculling 10 years ago and love it.   Just need to get fit now... :D

And grow eyes in the back of your head round here!

simonp

« Reply #1020 on: 15 April, 2017, 02:37:44 pm »
So it turns out capsizing a 4 is easier than you'd think.

« Reply #1021 on: 15 April, 2017, 11:11:57 pm »
!!!

simonp

« Reply #1022 on: 16 April, 2017, 12:42:11 pm »
Roll ups led into roll overs.

« Reply #1023 on: 16 April, 2017, 05:13:28 pm »
Can you Eskimo roll a 4?

simonp

« Reply #1024 on: 16 April, 2017, 06:59:22 pm »
Can you Eskimo roll a 4?

Not possible - you fall out straight away, there's nothing holding you in unlike in a kayak.