Linked Events

• YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne: 06 September, 2019 - 08 September, 2019

Author Topic: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 6-8th September 2019  (Read 13463 times)

Re: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 7-8th September 2019
« Reply #25 on: 27 August, 2019, 11:49:43 am »
My position is the same as previously stated and hope I am still pencilled in. I am keen to be there but it will depend on what is said to Pauline at her next hospital appointment on the 5th.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 6-8th September 2019
« Reply #26 on: 27 August, 2019, 09:00:50 pm »
Okay, I've emailed the site to see what the best way to handle the booking is.  I've updated the OP to say who I think is coming.  Firm numbers would obviously help, though I expect they'll be fine with a last-minute addition or two if it doesn't affect the required number of pitches.

Any more takers?  Especially important to know if anyone was interested in staying in a tipi rather than camping...

« Reply #27 on: 27 August, 2019, 09:22:19 pm »
I will see if I can get a pass. Will have to be moto assist. Yurt/tipi not needed.  O:-) Logistics are more difficult than they used to be.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 27 August, 2019, 09:34:57 pm »
You can unquestion me.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 28 August, 2019, 04:07:00 pm »
Just received a response from the campsite:

Many thanks for your email and it's pretty much yes to all of your queries.
We would be delighted to have you all stay with us and you can book online individually (mention in NOTES your group name) and yes numbers can be added.
If you book online it automatically takes a payment for cars but we refund that (in cash) to those arriving on bikes.
I hope that all helps and please feel free to call me if you need more info.

Which all sounds pretty positive.

So:

1) Let me know you're coming if you're not already listed as confirmed in the OP.
2) Book as "standard grass pitch" with the campsite, saying that you're with YACF in the 'notes field in the booking form.  Should be £10/adult/night, plus £6/night for a car that you can't not book.
3) Non-motorists collect £6/night cash refund on arrival.

:thumbsup:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #30 on: 28 August, 2019, 04:14:26 pm »
Not camping but probably up for day ride on Sunday and/or anything on the Saturday after 1530 - presumably some sort of plan/timetable will be published here?

Rob

PS: Any bike issues - cycle shop in Bridge Street in the centre of Wellesbourne is open 0900-1700 Friday, 0830-1530 Saturday

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 28 August, 2019, 10:40:24 pm »
Yes, it would be good to have a plan, (or at least an idea for a destination and nominal start time) for a ride, although I expect most people will want to do that on the Saturday before heading home on Sunday.  If nothing else, there may be enthusiasm for a Sunday morning cafe run to the airfield?

I'm going to recuse myself from actual ride-leading, on the basis that my achilles still isn't quite right and I might have to sit out a day ride if it protests on the way down.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #32 on: 29 August, 2019, 01:40:59 pm »
Booked. I'll probably take 2 days to ride there and 2 to ride home, bagging new VeloViewer tiles as I go.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #33 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:44:47 pm »
I'm happy to lead a ride if Rob can give us a few routes I can load onto my GPS, AND, of course any cafe stops!
Reine de la Fauche

robgul

« Reply #34 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:53:44 pm »
I'm happy to lead a ride if Rob can give us a few routes I can load onto my GPS, AND, of course any cafe stops!

The local cycling club has a library of routes of varying distances - if you look at  http://wellesbourne-wheelers.org.uk/index.php/rides/rides-library/ride-library/category/3-thursday-rides  there is an index with indicative locations and then both .gpx files and .pdf maps    The club's main website also has a list of cafes etc.    All of the rides start at The Stag pub in the village.

That's probably the simplest way to work out some rides

Rob

« Reply #35 on: 29 August, 2019, 09:14:43 pm »

The local cycling club has a library of routes of varying distances - if you look at  http://wellesbourne-wheelers.org.uk/index.php/rides/rides-library/ride-library/category/3-thursday-rides  there is an index with indicative locations and then both .gpx files and .pdf maps    The club's main website also has a list of cafes etc.    All of the rides start at The Stag pub in the village.

That's probably the simplest way to work out some rides

Rob

That looks EXACTLY what I need Rob, thank you!
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #36 on: 29 August, 2019, 09:46:25 pm »
I moved the green tourer to the front of the pile on Monday, meaning to give it a bit of a fettle.  All was good.  I got home today & the front tyre is flat  ???
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 29 August, 2019, 10:08:33 pm »

Wow, that's brilliant.  I may have to spend some time browsing those   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 29 August, 2019, 10:09:15 pm »
I moved the green tourer to the front of the pile on Monday, meaning to give it a bit of a fettle.  All was good.  I got home today & the front tyre is flat  ???

Getting the visitation out of the way before you set off is always a good idea...

« Reply #39 on: 29 August, 2019, 10:20:14 pm »
Any concensus on how far is a good idea for a bimble  and do we prefer Sat or Sun?
Reine de la Fauche

robgul

« Reply #40 on: 30 August, 2019, 10:21:35 am »

Wow, that's brilliant.  I may have to spend some time browsing those   :thumbsup:

All my own work ! - or at least I compiled them and created all the files from a hotch-potch of information from a couple of the club members (I'm a member of the club but seldom ride with them - I planned and set up the original club website to include the library)

The airfield cafe gets VERY busy especially on Sunday mornings - there is another cafe in the centre of Wellesbourne village and one at a garden centre in Charlecote, close to the airfield.

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 03 September, 2019, 12:06:38 pm »
*bump*

« Reply #42 on: 03 September, 2019, 01:52:13 pm »
About 90% certain I will be there. Maybe with another.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #43 on: 03 September, 2019, 02:19:16 pm »
Just received a response from the campsite:

Many thanks for your email and it's pretty much yes to all of your queries.
We would be delighted to have you all stay with us and you can book online individually (mention in NOTES your group name) and yes numbers can be added.
If you book online it automatically takes a payment for cars but we refund that (in cash) to those arriving on bikes.
I hope that all helps and please feel free to call me if you need more info.

Which all sounds pretty positive.

So:

1) Let me know you're coming if you're not already listed as confirmed in the OP.
2) Book as "standard grass pitch" with the campsite, saying that you're with YACF in the 'notes field in the booking form.  Should be £10/adult/night, plus £6/night for a car that you can't not book.
3) Non-motorists collect £6/night cash refund on arrival.

:thumbsup:
And they confirm this by special email.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #44 on: 03 September, 2019, 02:20:06 pm »
I am out thinks.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #45 on: 03 September, 2019, 03:19:21 pm »
Still planning on getting there. Not sure if it will be Friday night or Saturday.

« Reply #46 on: 03 September, 2019, 09:18:27 pm »
I am packed and ready to go  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #47 on: 04 September, 2019, 08:48:15 am »
Looking at my slow progress on the map I may need to use Bloody Trains.  I can get one from Wrexham to Stratford upon Avon.

robgul

« Reply #48 on: 04 September, 2019, 08:54:12 am »
Looking at my slow progress on the map I may need to use Bloody Trains.  I can get one from Wrexham to Stratford upon Avon.

Make sure you don't make the common mistake of alighting at Stratford PARKWAY station - you need to get off at Stratford (town) station (which is at the end of the line) - from there you could pick up NCN 5 as a non-direct but safe route to Wellesbourne (it actually passes the end of the lane where Michael Twite's place is)

Rob

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #49 on: 05 September, 2019, 07:23:50 am »
I have been gathering camping gear but it is all carefully concealed, not having been used since a weekend with Nikki and Peli and Woolly in April last year. Must make a concerted effort today.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.