Author Topic: Cycling injuries- the gorier the better.  (Read 155419 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Cycling injuries- the gorier the better.
« Reply #250 on: 10 December, 2014, 05:12:39 pm »
right, if anyone's wondering about my injuries on highlands glens and western isles, here they are :-X:

(click to show/hide)

fuzzy

« Reply #251 on: 10 December, 2014, 05:14:41 pm »
Damn good effort there zigzag!

(GWS BTW)  ;)

« Reply #252 on: 10 December, 2014, 05:16:22 pm »
GOOD GRIEF  :o

I am most impressed you kept riding with that hole in your arm in particular

Chapeau sir!  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #253 on: 10 December, 2014, 05:28:36 pm »

that hole in my elbow kept oozing for two months afterwards, before it closed. i should've insisted to have it debraided and stitched. all good now :thumbsup:

« Reply #254 on: 10 December, 2014, 05:40:22 pm »

that hole in my elbow kept oozing for two months afterwards, before it closed. i should've insisted to have it debraided and stitched. all good now :thumbsup:

I can imagine.  Really nasty looking wound that. Glad it healed eventually.   :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #255 on: 12 December, 2014, 03:18:29 pm »
Strewth, glad all is well.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #256 on: 12 December, 2014, 08:23:58 pm »

I suspect it would have taken a while to mend whatever was done; there's a tissue defect there, which would have been under tension if stitched and the elbow was allowed to bend. It might have healed faster with a skin graft...

« Reply #257 on: 15 April, 2015, 08:56:21 pm »
tl;dr The bike's okay, except the top of the bell sheared off. My injuries aren't especially gory, but I'd like taken into consideration the bits of vegetation implanted into my face.

Today was the sort of day where it was too nice to do the gardening. I don't have a garden; it was also too nice to do spreadsheets and marketing emails. So I decided to give the newly excavated School Bike a shakedown on the trails around Cannock Chase.

There was a lot of this:

A fair bit of this:

A couple of these:

(nothing happened)

Truth be told, I'd rather have been on the difficult Red Route, but even I'd recognised that trying that with a 20+ year-old MBSO and little off-road experience would be a little rash. So I'd opted for the moderate Blue Route instead to avoid any narsty occurences. The Blue Route! What's the worst that could happen?!

Dear Reader, please picture an elongated 12.2 mile 'circular' route. And then, if you will, picture the point at 6.2 miles along that route. Let us for the sake of argument call it "The Point Most Distant from my Parked Car". It was about here that yours truly started hankering for something a bit more challenging than the "wide gravel tracks and forest roads" so on a gentle descent I popped up onto the single-track that had been worn alongside it.

You can see it top right in this photo:

You can also, perhaps, see where this is going ...and where I failed to until a bit too late for my slightly-too-ineffective brakes to stop me in time or slow me enough to make that tight right hand bend where the track goes around the sharp drop.

I made it down the drop okay, but see that tree stump?
No, I didn't either.

Clipped it with my front wheel enough to send me somersaulting over the handlebars. eep!

Luckily my fall was broken by that bramble patch...

I had to spend some time with the self-portrait mode of my phone removing thorns from my face, and I've been doing similarly for my arms since getting home. I'm still finding the blimmin' things!

My left arm, left thigh, left calf and to a lesser extent my right thigh look similar to this (my right arm):

I think my right leg must have hit bike before it hit brambles because I have a bruise on my thigh that is turning colours similar in hue to the top I was wearing and I'm not sure what my right knee is going to do, but whatever it is it's going to be very adamant about it when it does. Ice has been applied.

I'm not sure what happened to cause that (the bike, not the pile behind it), but it's not a loosely clamped saddle. I couldn't open the quick-release and it took a bit of boshing with both hands to swing the saddle back around again.

I eventually found the top half of the bell that had sheared off in the impact, but I see now that it's lost the spinny ringy thing too. I've checked the tyres and they seem thorn-free, so the bike's still in the boot of the car ready for Bristol duties tomorrow and Friday. I may not be skyving off early to do the Bristol-Bath path as originally planned, however.  :(

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #258 on: 15 April, 2015, 09:22:22 pm »
 :-*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #259 on: 15 April, 2015, 10:01:14 pm »
Ouch!!!

Hope being punctured doesn't deflate you. :-*
Getting there...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #260 on: 15 April, 2015, 10:10:06 pm »
Good effort Nikki  :thumbsup:

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #261 on: 15 April, 2015, 10:15:50 pm »
Nooooooo... Not the 88mph bell?

GWS Nikki
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #262 on: 15 April, 2015, 10:37:41 pm »
I feel a bit of a twonk - 99.9% my own stupid fault, that one!

Fear not Vince! The 88mph bell is safe on The Shiny Tourer That Doesn't Get Used Enough  :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #263 on: 15 April, 2015, 10:38:34 pm »
That looks like it stings. Good effort! GWS :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #264 on: 15 April, 2015, 10:40:31 pm »
More  :-*  Hope you are not too sore in the morning.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #265 on: 15 April, 2015, 10:43:31 pm »

Good injury skills!

Speaking as a chap, shearing the top of your bell off? Well, it just doesn't get much worse. 

Heal soon!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #266 on: 15 April, 2015, 10:46:56 pm »
Impressive commitment, nikki.

fuzzy

« Reply #267 on: 15 April, 2015, 11:03:49 pm »
Nice one Centurion!

GWS  :-*

« Reply #268 on: 15 April, 2015, 11:35:15 pm »
My face cleaned up pretty well, so I shouldn't be scaring too many small children tomorrow. The stinging decreased a lot after I washed the sun lotion out of it, but the first experimental trouser-wearing this evening was a bit painful!

Bizarrely it's the bit of leg with least blood drawn that stings the most now. Knee and thorny infections are the things to keep an eye on, I reckon.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #269 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:36:51 am »
Just caught up with the last couple of pages of this. Some gory stuff! From which I hope everyone has recovered or is recovering.

(Nikki: a. That's not you - no smile! b. Bristol-Bath path is closed at Staple Hill tunnel - there's a signposted diversion, but it's a bit of a pain.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #270 on: 17 April, 2015, 08:45:05 am »
Thanks Cudzoziemiec. I managed a slow limp of a ride from Bedminster to Bower Ashton, so I don't think there's any risk of a leisurely jaunt over to Bath. Bruises everywhere! I'm deducing the wonky saddle is related to the two big blue patches appearing near my coccyx...

My left arm's not so happy: I may try a walk-in centre later and request someone with keen eyesight, long nails, a pair of tweezers and possible a sharp scalpel.  :-/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #271 on: 17 April, 2015, 10:25:36 am »
If you're in Bristol this weekend, you could do worse than visit Bespoked at Temple Meads.
http://www.bespoked.cc
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #272 on: 17 April, 2015, 12:50:49 pm »
I can also recommend the minor injuries unit at Southmead hospital...  :facepalm:

« Reply #273 on: 17 April, 2015, 10:00:11 pm »
I've just got back to Brum and am intermittently applying needle and antiseptic.

Bespoked looks dangerous - glad I didn't know about that when I walked past Arnolfini a couple of hours ago!

« Reply #274 on: 18 April, 2015, 12:22:32 pm »
Took a slow speed tumble (anti cycling railings, gravel, slow speed, and gusty wind don't mix  :facepalm:  :-[).
This is post clean in a nearby garden centre cafe otherwise it would've been just black oil stain visible. Surprisingly little blood flowed!