Author Topic: Heating costs per year  (Read 3065 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Heating costs per year
« Reply #25 on: 13 January, 2024, 07:14:27 am »
More stuff on minimum temperatures for bones:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5c5986f8ed915d045f3778a9/Min_temp_threshold_for_homes_in_winter.pdf

The advice seems to be slipping from 21 deg to 18 deg based on energy efficiency concerns, which is bollocks unless Human 1.0 has had an upgrade to 1.1.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #26 on: 13 January, 2024, 08:18:58 am »
Lots of interesting stuff in this thread BUT making comparisons/comments in £s isn't very helpful given the volatility of energy prices - the sure-fire method is to use the consumption figure in KwH + the standing charge. 

I've been tracking our consumpton since we moved to this house  in February 2020 (4 bed/2 bath detached, built late 1960s, lots of insulation in the loft - not sure about the walls - gas for CH & big tank HW, electric for cooking - just 2 of us, retired, so here most of the time) 

My spreadsheet presents a fairly consistent picture with reductons in consumption when we made a few changes that cost around £300 - swapped every light for LEDs, fitted Hive valves to 4 radiators to enable timed control in 2 bedrooms we don't use and 1 room that's only used in the evening, increased insulation in the loft.

I haven't finished compiling 2023 yet (waiting on latest bill from BG) but our consumptions in 2022 were :  Gas 16,400 KwH, Electricity 4,700 Kwh. so about 30% more than the "cap consumptions" - I expect similar volumes for 2023.

We've been on a series of fixed rates since switching to BG (from AVRO  :hand:) in Feb 21 with quarterly "pay the whole bill by DD"  - all of which have have been below the cap KwH rates.   Standing charge increases have been outrageous!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 13 January, 2024, 10:20:29 am »
in uk, heating two bedrooms and a bathroom to a comfy temp, around £900/y (this includes some hot water)
abroad, colder (baltic!!) climate, temperature indoors 21-22c year round, heating all 141m2 for £50/y (not a typo - new house, latest greatest tech)

That is really impressive. Of course, all new houses in the UK are being built to such a spec <sarcasm>
But Baltic climates come with Baltic prices – which are going to vary between, say, Finland and Latvia.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #28 on: 13 January, 2024, 12:01:24 pm »
More stuff on minimum temperatures for bones

Spends <redacted> reading document looking for where it mentions “bones”.

:facepalm:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #29 on: 17 January, 2024, 07:35:11 pm »
MrsC was doing some budgeting before getting the oil tank refilled, and was surprised to see how much we are spending on heating oil.

£1200 per year

I'd assumed it to be much higher.

We do keep the house quite cool compared to many people (17.5 is the max temperature). In evenings in winter we sit in living room, which has a solid fuel stove for supplemental heating.
Are you including the cost of the solid fuel, if any?  I spend £1,140 on gas and electric (gas is probably £600 of that) but around £600 on wood.
No cost for solid fuel, I get my own.

Our house is detached, 2 story, 5 bedrooms. Poor insulation, which I'm gradually improving.

You've got cutting rights?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 29 February, 2024, 04:26:43 pm »
I've just totted it up for another purpose and it comes to about 5,000kWh of gas per year for heating and hot water.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #31 on: 29 February, 2024, 05:12:30 pm »
MrsC was doing some budgeting before getting the oil tank refilled, and was surprised to see how much we are spending on heating oil.

£1200 per year

I'd assumed it to be much higher.

We do keep the house quite cool compared to many people (17.5 is the max temperature). In evenings in winter we sit in living room, which has a solid fuel stove for supplemental heating.
Are you including the cost of the solid fuel, if any?  I spend £1,140 on gas and electric (gas is probably £600 of that) but around £600 on wood.
No cost for solid fuel, I get my own.

Our house is detached, 2 story, 5 bedrooms. Poor insulation, which I'm gradually improving.

You've got cutting rights?

Missed the question, sorry.

Everyone  on Lewis and Harris has cutting rights. It is controlled by the grazing clerks.

Cutting is strictly with hand tools only, and you are not permitted  to sell peat.
<i>Marmite slave</i>