Author Topic: Cycle to school week?  (Read 1845 times)

Cycle to school week?
« on: 03 June, 2019, 03:57:31 pm »
I thought I heard mention of it being cycle to school week. However I can't find anything about it if it is. Some of the cycling organisations seem to suggest it but the pdf I found was dated 2017

Anyone know any more. I'll have to make sure the monkeys cycle at least once rather then walking as usual and might cycle to work in solidarity

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: Cycle to school week?
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2019, 04:26:01 pm »
Not as far as I know but I did cycle to school/work today as I will all week. O:-)

ian

« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2019, 04:52:21 pm »
Given the road that runs by the local school and the skills of the local drivers, I think it'd certainly reduce the pressure on school places in the area.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2019, 10:58:59 pm »
All the primaries I work in did the 'Big Pedal' https://bigpedal.org.uk/ which is a sustrans thing - it was at the end of March, I think. 

I found CUK talking about bike week https://www.cyclinguk.org/bikeweek which is next week - is it maybe that you've heard mentioned?

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2019, 06:30:30 am »
Thanks. I only heard a snippet of something on the radio. I'll make sure

The sustrans page is the one that says 2017 when you actually open the pdf.

I'm guessing it isn't this week or if it is then its going to be a complete failure with this amount of publicity

« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2019, 06:55:59 am »
My closest school doubles as a polling station and seemed to be doing cycle to school week when the recent EU elections were on.

I live about 1/2 a mile away and saw one mother park her suv and then get little jonny and his bike out .  Mum was back without attachments half an hour later.

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2019, 12:06:53 pm »
My daughter (yr 5) was talking about sustainable transport a few weeks ago. Apparently they had been told that walking or cycling to school would earn them/the school points in something, and so they really should unless there was a really good reason they couldn't. Unfortunately, I don't think she's a good enough bike handler to deal with the busy roads she would have to navigate, and there's basically no way that I can drop her off and collect her and be present in the office for the required time, so she didn't get to do it this time. :(

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2019, 10:17:56 am »
Better start practicing so you are all ready for next time then!  ;D
And if necessary, arrange with the office to flex your arrival time that week (assuming it's operationally possible)

I observed in my own case that I underestimated what my little dears were capable of as regards getting to/from school under their own steam - I did at times need to feed a plain roll (or similar) to a hangry youngster to help with the rest of the 1km journey home.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2019, 01:04:52 pm »
Better start practicing so you are all ready for next time then!  ;D
And if necessary, arrange with the office to flex your arrival time that week (assuming it's operationally possible)

I observed in my own case that I underestimated what my little dears were capable of as regards getting to/from school under their own steam - I did at times need to feed a plain roll (or similar) to a hangry youngster to help with the rest of the 1km journey home.
She's going to cyclocross training, so her bike handling (and her endurance) is getting a lot better. :)
Getting to work on time would be just about doable. I'd basically have to finish an hour early to get back on time though. The safest route via some cycle paths would result in a journey of approx 4.5 miles each way (from her school to my work is ~13 miles each way). I'd be fine with it, but it's a not insignificant ride for her at the moment.

It seems that next Wednesday is "Car Free day" - posters have sprung up all around the business park where I work. I wonder what it actually means.