General Category > OT Knowledge

Home lock help please

(1/3) > >>

velosam:
I have an Ingersoll classic lock at home.

The keys are aftermarket.

Recently after putting the key into the lock, it does not seem to want to turn. Moving it around a bit and or pulling it in and out, seems to get the lock to turn.

I suspect there is wear somewhere but am not sure where.

I can get a new barrel with new keys - is that the best way forward?  Also does it have to be an Ingersoll barrel as they are not cheap at around £80 including a couple of keys.

thanks

Biggsy:
Try lubricating first of all.  I think you're supposed to use dry graphite lube with locks, but I'd use WD40 to be honest.  (It contains light oil, contrary to what some believe).

Assuming a normal typical front door lock, it's not very difficult to replace the barrel, and it doesn't have to be the same make again.

Kim:
Yes, graphite.  Works astoundingly well.  I've successfully lubricated locks just by scribbling on the key with a soft pencil, though proper puffers of lube are quicker.

Oil will work in the short term, but causes things to gum up over time (keys being an effective gunk delivery mechanism), requiring more oil.  It's fine for getting a lock moving that you're planning to replace, of course, and WD40 may be the best option when confronted with a lock that's full of water.

Biggsy:
From www.locksmiths.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/MLA-Lock-related-Jargon-Buster.pdf :

"On no account should oil be used to lubricate pin-tumbler cylinders.  Graphite is the conventional lubricant for this mechanism."

Oops.  Please ignore my bad WD40 practice!

I've remembered that I needed to move the keep on the door frame down a couple of mm when I replaced a Yale lock, but hopefully that's because the original wasn't ideally positioned rather than these things being non standard.  It's something to check or be prepared for anyway.

....That's not relevant when replacing just the barrel, but for some reason I replaced the whole lock.  Maybe the replacement barrel wasn't compatible after all.

Sorry, I'm not having a good brain day today.

rafletcher:
On a general note WD40 is NOT a lubricant. Well not any more than water is. It works in the short term, but as soon as the volatiles gas off the residue gets sticky and attracts dust etc.

Sam, any barrel should do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version