Author Topic: Non stick frying pan  (Read 1762 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Non stick frying pan
« on: 31 October, 2018, 06:48:01 pm »
Teflon or hard anodised?
We've always used Teflon til now. It's time for a new frying pan and I was pondering going for a Circulon hard anodised or similar.
Or are they just a bit Emporer's new clothes?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Non stick frying pan
« Reply #1 on: 31 October, 2018, 06:59:08 pm »
Whatever is cheap in Tkmaxx.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 31 October, 2018, 07:11:36 pm »
Does Teflon not work? For about £30–40 you get something fairly weighty and non-stick that lasts for a good few years. Eventually the coating gives out. Well, I assume ours is Teflon. I can't say it's sticky in the slightest and the hefty base spreads the heat fine.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2018, 07:13:51 pm »
Ceramic coating can be popular

« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2018, 07:27:53 pm »
Nothing apart from steel (or cast iron) last forever, IME none of the alternatives make much difference to longevity, although better quality ones last longer. You pays yer money and takes your choice. The two things that kill non stick pans are (1) utensils/ cleaning/scratched by other pans in storage damaging the surface and (2) getting too hot (which you need for proper frying sometimes). Again IME, very little of the advertising puff turns into real long life. I keep my non-stick pan in the cloth bags that are all the rage at exhibitions etc. I was only thinking last night how the non stick pan is the only change in my panwise-batterie de cuisine for about 30 years, my 70's steel frypan, 80's cast iron le creuset as well as stainless pans are all going strong.

ETA - not quite true, when Mrs Ham left my steel frypan on a high light for 30 minutes, it bowed the bottom meaning I have had to supplement it with a deKuyper crepe pan for pancakes. Still sees nigh on daily use for other stuffs.

Ben T

« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2018, 07:37:03 pm »
Judge are definitely better than procook.
I've just got a scanpan which claims to be the bees knees, we'll see how it lasts.
Le creuset are apparently good but are very heavy.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 31 October, 2018, 08:56:17 pm »
Le Cruset, very expensive and the Teflon is no harder wearing than others, so you need to look after them. I've had good results from an aldi ceramic coated pan for a tenner, it was the handle that failed on that one. Currently getting daily use from a tefal one, Teflon lined and wearing g well.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7 on: 31 October, 2018, 09:02:07 pm »
John Lewis own brand NOT non-stick S/S frying pan.
Been doing the job since 2003.
Recommended.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 31 October, 2018, 09:23:47 pm »
Pretty sure ours came from JL but with Teflon because I can't be bothered with faff. Like most things, beyond a certain price point they merely become a means to extract spare cash from the middle classes.

I shall shortly be making a cauliflower pilaf (and you need to char the cauli a bit). And it won't stick.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 31 October, 2018, 10:00:05 pm »
Tefal again then.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #10 on: 31 October, 2018, 10:18:17 pm »
The only non stick frying pan I've got is by Kuhne Rikon , I mainly use it for scrambled eggs & it's pretty good.  Several years of being shoved in a drawer with the other pans has had no ill effects.  From TK Maxx.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11 on: 01 November, 2018, 08:49:09 am »
Keep seeing adverts for a 'copper stone' pan that seems to out-Teflon Teflon IYSWIM.

Revelation or woo? I would link to a tube video but they're either adverts or amateur reviews which remind me why 99.7899999% of the population should never 'star' in their own production...

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #12 on: 01 November, 2018, 09:06:41 am »
I vote woo. Actually, not necessarily woo as it may well do a decent job of work, but unlikely to be fundamentally different from other decent non stick.

BTW, AFAIK, the uber-expensive le creuset pans are not non stick, but have a black enamel coating. Personally I buy the best quality coating at a decent price point, which seemed to be somewhere between £25-35 a little while back (and I ended with a Waitrose version of the JL one, when they had 25% off). I prefer to buy from somewhere that the pans are protected, rather than jumbled on a shelf, Tefal do a reasonable job with the cardboard but the one occasion I bought from TKMax I regretted it, as the defect from handling soon became apparent.

As it happens, I keep two non stick pans alongside my steel (also a deep copper and stainless steel saute pan). I keep one for eggs and use the other for stuff where (for whatever reason, normally ease of cleaning) I prefer non-stick. When that one stops being non stick to the point it irritates it gets binned and the egg one demoted, to be replaced when there's a deal on.