Author Topic: Struggling with hills  (Read 8725 times)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Struggling with hills
« on: 13 July, 2008, 09:43:12 am »
I'm sure this has been aired before, but i couldn't find it.  I'm having major problems with hills and I need to get it sorted.  Since getting back into cycling a year and a bit ago I have managed to lose a fair bit of weight, which has helped somewhat, but I'm still struggling disproportionately it seems.

Is it just a case of keep plugging away and gradually improving or is there something more specific, such as buying some squat stands?

In the week I found myself in the Dorking area, in my van I hasten to add and had a quick recce of the 'Hilly 50' route.  My conclusion was  'you lot are 'avin a larf', White Down seems to me to be utterly ludicrous, yet folk clearly manage it.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Struggling with hills
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2008, 09:49:24 am »

White Down seems to me to be utterly ludicrous, yet folk clearly manage it.

Strange use of 'manage' if I may say so :) I think I'm still suffering a week on.

I've got a document that I cut 'n' pasted from somewhere - I can't remember where now and am reluctant to post for fear of breaching copyright - if you pm me your e-mail address I can send it to you.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2008, 09:55:23 am »
The first way to get better at hills is to lose weight.
The second is to ride hills.

To assist with the second option I'd recommend a low gear and spin rather than try to muscle it up in a higher gear. Only get out of the saddle when absolutely necessary as it's more tiring and usually indicates that option 2 isn't being followed. (Or you've run out of gears  :-\ )

If you run out of gears often, try a compact chainset.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2008, 09:59:15 am »

To assist with the second option I'd recommend a low gear and spin rather than try to muscle it up in a higher gear. Only get out of the saddle whan absolutely necessary as it's more tiring and usually indicates that option 2 isn't being followed. (Or you've run out of gears  :-\ )

Or perhaps a triple with 12 - 29 on the back.

« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2008, 10:03:07 am »
Just pick a ride with some long hills (but not ridiculously steep) and ride up them at a pace you can manage comfortably without suffering... then once you have the confidence that you can do hills and know your capabilities and limits you can play around with you pace.

« Reply #5 on: 13 July, 2008, 10:06:53 am »
I got good at hills by doing long (100km) hilly rides with gears that I could manage, at the time that meant a triple with a 27 sprocket. It caused me to lose weight and build strength. Doing it simultaneously will cause you to have more strength sooner than if you lose the weight first. There is no easy way, just suffer.

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2008, 10:17:07 am »
Weight and gearing are the 2 biggest factors.

I only find hills hard when I try and go up the too quickly and/or in too high a gear.  To make them easy(er), knock it into first and spin slowly up them.

I'd be interested to know your weight and bottom gear.

I'm 14 stone and use a 28" gear for Hampshire Downs' worst.

If you are 17 stone with a >30" first gear then that's why steep hills are hard.

PS.  Don't do squats, ride up steep hills more.  Squats won't teach you technique or give you the aerobic capacity for long climbs.

It makes a big difference if you stop  heaving on the bars and grimacing.  The only muscles you want the blood to flow to are your leg muscles.  Relax your shoulders, lighten your grip, get into an rhythmic breathing pattern (thinking of any AC/DC song helps I find) and spin up accordingly

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2008, 11:22:24 am »
Breathing is very important (or you will die). Better to slow down if you find that you are breathing too fast (and therefore too shallow) and get your rythm back. Good exhalation is also important so that you are using oxygen more efficiently.

Pedalling techniques are a very individual thing. I like the pace of `one two buckle my shoe' etc... (better lyrics than AC/DC). I have also used the every three strokes method. With this you push down hard every three strokes (hence the name) and ease off on the other two, only on really steep stuff though....

Keep at it, you will get there in the end...
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Gandalf

« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2008, 01:34:27 pm »
Weight and gearing are the 2 biggest factors.

I only find hills hard when I try and go up the too quickly and/or in too high a gear.  To make them easy(er), knock it into first and spin slowly up them.

I'd be interested to know your weight and bottom gear.

I'm 14 stone and use a 28" gear for Hampshire Downs' worst.

If you are 17 stone with a >30" first gear then that's why steep hills are hard.

PS.  Don't do squats, ride up steep hills more.  Squats won't teach you technique or give you the aerobic capacity for long climbs.

It makes a big difference if you stop  heaving on the bars and grimacing.  The only muscles you want the blood to flow to are your leg muscles.  Relax your shoulders, lighten your grip, get into an rhythmic breathing pattern (thinking of any AC/DC song helps I find) and spin up accordingly

I'm currently 14 stone down from about 16 and a half, at 5' 10" that's still way too blubbersome.   I would like to get down to about 11 if I can, but I'll have to see if that's feasible.  I'm afraid I did have a french bread 'incident' yesterday but I'm good most of the time.  O:-)

The lowest gear I have is 34/27, which is pretty low I know.  On my three hour ride yesterday my average heart rate was 169 and the highest was 190.  So much for 220 minus age!

« Reply #9 on: 13 July, 2008, 06:21:33 pm »
Is it just a case of keep plugging away and gradually improving

Annoyingly, yes. Keep practicing. Don't avoid hills, seek them out and conquer them.

In the week I found myself in the Dorking area, in my van I hasten to add and had a quick recce of the 'Hilly 50' route.  My conclusion was  'you lot are 'avin a larf', White Down seems to me to be utterly ludicrous, yet folk clearly manage it.

I'm just back from doing the Hilly 50 route and I walked nearly all of White Down. but then I was on 71" fixed

I'm finding hills easier now that I'm down to 12.5st (from 15st, and I'm 5'9"). Getting down to 11st (70kg) is too much effort so I'll just get better at going up hills by riding more of them.

With gears I did manage a similar hill (17%) on the Elenith coming out of Pont-Rhyd-Y-Groes but that was about my limit, even with a 30x29 lowest gear.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

gonzo

« Reply #10 on: 13 July, 2008, 06:29:59 pm »
At the bottom of the Faster and further section, there's a 5 page thread on going uphill!

The piece I wrote on it is here

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #11 on: 13 July, 2008, 06:49:40 pm »
At the bottom of the Faster and further section, there's a 5 page thread on going uphill!

The piece I wrote on it is here

That's the piece that I alluded to above - at least I can now attribute it correctly  :thumbsup:

alan

« Reply #12 on: 13 July, 2008, 06:58:09 pm »

I'm currently 14 stone          , at 5' 10" that's still way too blubbersome.   I would like to get down to about 11 if I can, but I'll have to see if that's feasible. 

The lowest gear I have is 34/27, which is pretty low I know. 

That is a perfect description of me.I dislike hills with a passion but as everyone is saying the only way to improve is to slay the beast.
While I am very slowing improving I take the view that I have not yet met a hill that I cannot walk up.When I do find it necessary to walk I remember where the hill is & next time I try to at least ride up it further than last time or not walk it at all.
Keep on keeping on

« Reply #13 on: 13 July, 2008, 07:01:07 pm »
I struggled on a 34:27 climbing a b*st*rd hill yesterday. It was long, though, and had a large section at 20%.

I was practically track-standing up it at one point.  ;D

Gandalf

« Reply #14 on: 13 July, 2008, 07:08:10 pm »
Thanks all, that other thread is excellent.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #15 on: 13 July, 2008, 07:33:30 pm »
Having survived the Midlander Super Grimpeur 300k a few weeks ago, my advice would be:

- Practice, practice, practice.  Believe it or not, they do get easier the more frequently you ride them.  I consciously add hills to practically every training ride I do.  Your body's lactate threshold increases too, which means that you can delay the point at which your legs begin to experience the burning sensation when climbing. 

- Contrary to the advice further up, I think getting out the saddle can be a good thing.  Not necessarily climbing the entire hill out the saddle, but certainly parts of it.  Having ridden with other strong climbers, riding out the saddle is not unusual.  Riding out the saddle uses different muscles, and so allows your normal climbing muscles to rest.

- Learn to breathe deeply when climbing.  Fill those lungs with oxygen.

- Use your gears.  I have seen far too many cyclists trying to ride up hills on their big gears.  This is inefficient and wastes energy.  There is nothing macho about riding up a hill in your big ring. 

- Watch how others ride hills.  I have learned a lot by watching other riders, especially those who are good at hills. 

« Reply #16 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:14:27 pm »
[...]

Yup.

Even being a heavy rider, I have learnt to enjoy hills; but for that you need to tackle them first. Riding fixed has given me more power so when I go back on the geared bike I feel quite comfortable.

Another thing is to learn to use your gears. This means usually (say you are on the big chainring) reducing one or two teeth at the back first, at the foot of the hill, and then reducing at the front onto the small chainring so that you have a smooth transition and plenty of sprockets left to finish the climb. Try to spin your way up if needed, and avoid brute force at first.

I tend to stay in the saddle for shorter, power climbs on a bigger gear (I enjoy that and it works well when you ride a bit fast), but will get out of the saddle to re-launch or when I may be in a smaller gear and for a longer climb. I don't like climbing on a very small gear in the saddle.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #17 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:25:43 pm »

Try a triple, not compact.

I ride a triple, and the Granny gear is low enough to get me up anything tackled to date (and as the hardest ones were easier to ride than walk I think that's low enough).

My tactic for hills is to go into a low gear at the bottom, and twizzle up whilst eating, drinking, and looking at the map.  This means I don't need to stop to eat, so get a fair distance.  I calculated once that from start of the meal to the end of it I'd ridden 2.5 miles.   That's a 10 minute stop saved!

« Reply #18 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:27:58 pm »
Nutty, I'm not sure this is the best way to tackle a hill!!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:40:19 pm »
Nutty, I'm not sure this is the best way to tackle a hill!!
Thank god - I thought it was just me reading that post in amazement ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #20 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:53:12 pm »
What's the point of wearing yourself out trying to sprint up an incline?   

The whole point of cycling is to get from A to B in a manner faster and easier than walking, especially when A and B are several hundred miles apart.

« Reply #21 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:57:18 pm »

You're posting in the Further and Faster forum, although better hill climbing technique/prowess will help with the Further bit too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 01 August, 2008, 03:00:50 pm »

The whole point of cycling is to get from A to B in a manner faster and easier than walking, especially when A and B are several hundred miles apart.
You seem to be suggesting making even less effort uphill than on the flat!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #23 on: 01 August, 2008, 03:04:15 pm »

You're posting in the Further and Faster forum, although better hill climbing technique/prowess will help with the Further bit too.

ah, missed that bit  :-[    Damn effects of just using "While you were away".

I'll stick with the "further" bit and keep riding without stopping.

« Reply #24 on: 01 August, 2008, 03:04:51 pm »

Maybe this is due to your definition of faster and easier! Think of the others waiting for you at the top!  :-\

I have never seen your proposal as an efficient way to clim a hill. I actually thought you were joking...