Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3909342 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21150 on: 19 July, 2017, 07:39:35 pm »
Too hot a day for cycling in a bee suit. I put my trust in the mesh and was careful on the downhills. While investigating if this wasn't an insane thing to do, I came across this: http://www.bikeabee.com. Bees and bikes sounds like a great job.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21151 on: 19 July, 2017, 10:03:21 pm »
A relaxed post work dart over the North Downs to Gatwick, the excuse being to tick off the South Terminal landside Wetherspoons. Got chatting to some Norwegian (airline not country) crew who admired my bike!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #21152 on: 21 July, 2017, 04:51:59 pm »
Another day, another cunning plan.
Today is probably the busiest day on the roads all year so the plan was to keep away from all the main roads and noodle around the lanes to the west of the A167. And it worked brilliantly until I reached Sacriston where the schools were turning out. It was total chaos with idiots even driving on the pavement. I took to the pavements myself to get through one junction where I'd been stationary for too long. I was walking and wheeling my bike though.
Other than that it was a really enjoyable ride of 24 miles in 1:36 with no flat bits.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #21153 on: 21 July, 2017, 09:37:51 pm »
42 miles with Jonathan notp . He was using his new roloff hub gears today . Alas he was using 14 and 1 leaving 12 gears unused  ::-) . I got in just as the rain started . :)

the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21154 on: 22 July, 2017, 12:16:01 am »
A tandem ride with Jan. Just under 10 miles and an ice cream. Dropped into Waitrose on the way back for ready made curries.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #21155 on: 22 July, 2017, 02:27:10 pm »
Did a couple of laps of the old TT circuit up at Leamside. Was going to do more but the rain was getting too heavy for enjoyment.
15 fairly flat miles in 55 mins.

« Reply #21156 on: 22 July, 2017, 04:26:22 pm »
Went to a beginners' MTB session to try and gain some off-roading confidence. Found it surprisingly enjoyable! There were only 4 of us plus the instructor, and it was good to not be the only one with the fear. Felt a lot better about it by the end, and I didn't die or anything.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #21157 on: 22 July, 2017, 09:31:02 pm »
Yes:
* met some friends
* did the tourist thing
* got drenched
* had fun
* 82km in total

There may be more details in other threads.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21158 on: 22 July, 2017, 10:04:01 pm »
No :(

Turbo today, every time I was ready to go out it was lashing it down. If I get caught while out, fair amount, but I'm reluctant to head out if it's already raining.  Was a decent workout anyway with one of those real life vids, Pacific highway.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #21159 on: 23 July, 2017, 01:43:27 pm »
Up with the lark and out on the bike before 8 o'clock. Stuck to the northern end of Co. Durham including bits of Gateshead so plenty of traffic lights, underpasses and broken glass. Headed out into the countryside after that for a more enjoyable ride.
48 lumpy miles in 3:24.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21160 on: 23 July, 2017, 02:25:55 pm »
Yes:
* met some friends
* did the tourist thing
* got drenched
* had fun
* 82km in total

I did some of that! :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #21161 on: 23 July, 2017, 02:26:40 pm »
Yes:
* met some friends
* did the tourist thing
* got drenched
* had fun
* 82km in total

How far do you think the actual Meander was?
Milk please, no sugar.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #21162 on: 23 July, 2017, 02:37:16 pm »
Mid to upper 40s, definitely not the 50km mentioned in the ride description.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #21163 on: 23 July, 2017, 02:58:43 pm »
28 miles in 1hr 50 before lunch. My arse can't take much more than that!
Steady at 15

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21164 on: 23 July, 2017, 04:47:58 pm »
Out early while it wasn't raining, on the road for 7:30 and 55km on the recumbent in just over 2 hours, no drama, chilly and a slight drizzle at time.

Had some bloke toot his horn and wave at me while he drove the opposite way in Mildenhall, no idea who he was.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21165 on: 23 July, 2017, 06:14:42 pm »
Yes:
* met some friends
* did the tourist thing
* got drenched
* had fun
* 82km in total

How far do you think the actual Meander was?

My total for the day was a little over 28 miles. I would think that the Meander was about 26 of those.

« Reply #21166 on: 23 July, 2017, 06:41:12 pm »
25 miles with my good friend Amoeba. Sunny till we got to the pub and then it started raining - luckily it wasn't too windy so I could put the big umbrella up at our table and we sheltered under that till we'd finished our shandies.

Once it had eased off (showers my arse! It was tipping it down) we made a dash for home. It's at this point that Amoeba discovered just why I'm such a fan of mudguards - even though the rain had stopped the roads were very wet and she got somewhat drenched. I'm now instructed to find some mudguards for her.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #21167 on: 23 July, 2017, 07:00:49 pm »
A pleasant 30 mile round trip to the Wakehurst science festival spoilt by a white van man regrettably I resorted to a frank and forthright gesture which did the trick. Now done 2000 miles exactly for the year. Can I do 1000 in the next 5.5 weeks?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21168 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:06:46 pm »
Jast a short potter this evening to say that I'd been out. 5.35 miles @ 10.2  mph. Go me!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21169 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:41:08 pm »
A quick (but not that quick, as I was deliberately doing things like riding uphill really slowly in the wrong gear) 50km on the Red Baron, to test the new chainring guard and associated re-adjustment of the front derailleur.  Notable for not getting rained on, and for being followed home by a police car.

One day I'm going to follow that sign to Pink Green and find out what colour it is.

« Reply #21170 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:55:30 pm »
50 km to keep the legs spinning and to spy out the new road layout around the A1 upgrade between Leeming and Scotch Corner.

Included a few kms along the officially closed old A1 from Scotch Corner to Brompton. I passed a cyclist going the other way, and we were both ;D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21171 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:56:16 pm »

One day I'm going to follow that sign to Pink Green and find out what colour it is.

Did that for the same reason. 
It's grey and Brown.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21172 on: 23 July, 2017, 10:07:47 pm »

Did that for the same reason. 
It's grey and Brown.

Thought it might be...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21173 on: 23 July, 2017, 10:14:17 pm »
A quick (but not that quick, as I was deliberately doing things like riding uphill really slowly in the wrong gear) 50km on the Red Baron, to test the new chainring guard and associated re-adjustment of the front derailleur.  Notable for not getting rained on, and for being followed home by a police car.

Won't you need to take someone with you who can tell you?  :P

essexian

« Reply #21174 on: 24 July, 2017, 07:45:14 am »
Rather than doing the 100km ride I had signed up for which includes several large climbs around Ironbridge I wimped out and did the 50km Bostin Newport Sportive.

A nice ride around the "flat" lands to the west and north of Newport.... flat in the way that there are no actually hills but then again, no actual flat areas with it either being slightly up or slightly down.

Happy with my average speed of 14.05mph as that means both my rides over the weekend were done at over 14mph.... I might actually be getting a little fitter as my average "wattage" is creeping up towards 120. (I know, not great on the overall scheme of things, but pleasing for me).

And finally, the rain stayed away but I still did the ride in a jacket as it was quite chilly!