Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3903032 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21200 on: 03 August, 2017, 08:02:35 pm »
30 fixed gear miles around Mid Sussex  quite tricky into headwind...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21201 on: 03 August, 2017, 10:56:54 pm »
rode to St Ives at 27.4km/h, retuned at 35.5km/h.  It was windy
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #21202 on: 04 August, 2017, 02:06:43 pm »
Only 13 miles on the MTB today  :-[
Steady at 15

« Reply #21203 on: 04 August, 2017, 03:55:52 pm »
Yes, yes I have, one of only a handful of non commute rides this year, I even managed not to fall off. A very roundabout way to Great Budworth and then onto Higher Whitley before a pint of Peroni in the Thorn Inn where I decided I'd better head home to get ready for a night out with four women.

58km, not fast, but it's a revelation riding that bike without all it's audax paraphernalia attached and I'm reminded why we do this  :thumbsup:

« Reply #21204 on: 04 August, 2017, 04:17:36 pm »
Last day of the Sem Fed with added excitement, when a bolt on the 2-bolt stem failed, leaving the bars flopping about rather uselessly.  I managed to steer holding the stem and reach for a lever to slow to a halt.  Luckily it happened with only 2k to go.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #21205 on: 04 August, 2017, 07:57:49 pm »
Last day of the Sem Fed with added excitement, when a bolt on the 2-bolt stem failed, leaving the bars flopping about rather uselessly.  I managed to steer holding the stem and reach for a lever to slow to a halt.  Luckily it happened with only 2k to go.

:o :hand: :thumbsup:
Milk please, no sugar.

essexian

« Reply #21206 on: 06 August, 2017, 01:43:11 pm »
After hobbling around all week with gout, my foot felt okay so off to attack the hills north of Stafford I went.

For those who don't know, there is a small range of hills which rise up from the Trent Valley before dropping back down into the Tean Valley. Nothing special but climb up is something like 200m overall and includes the climb of Milwich Lane, a road I have never made it to the top in one go until today  ;D..... I almost didn't manage it again today as I got attacked by the cyclist hating bird who lives there... okay, over egging the pudding there a little but it did come close twice before flying off to catch something tastier than an overweight cyclist.

Heading further north from Milwich I took The Avenue which is a lovely sunken lane which climbs gently a further 100m or so. I've never been up it but I did enjoy it so i'll be back. Not sure however that I enjoyed the return leg along the B5066; not due to the lumpy nature of the road, but to the number of cars being driven at stupidly high speeds.

Overall, 50km in 2 hours with 500m or so of climbing. A nice workout  ;D  Sadly.... my gout is hurting again  :facepalm:

« Reply #21207 on: 06 August, 2017, 01:46:07 pm »
After over 3 hours of faffing and failing to find my shiny I was sulking and just about to give up when my wife found the shiny after 5 minutes looking and teamed up with my mate to bully me out the door.

So a pootle round to mate's house and out into the lanes to Tatton Park before excellent cake and distinctly average coffee at Velo Espresso in Altrincham. 48km.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21208 on: 06 August, 2017, 03:22:13 pm »
I'm not one for keeping records or logging rides but for some reason I do like the idea of riding my bike into a new county. I've been down to Dorset a couple of times and Somerset is obviously a frequent one but I've never been all the way to Devon, so I started planning a DIY 200 to Devon. I'd more or less got the outward leg when I thought This is silly, Devon's such a big county it's meaningless to go a few miles over the border. I'll leave this and do a ride all the way down to, say, Exeter, when I've got more time and/or planning tuits. Or I could just do the Exmouth Exodus but I haven't planned a return, don't fancy riding back and have things to do on Sunday morning.

So instead, I went north. Up through Tytherington then along the A38, which was full of motor homes but finally Berkeley Road Bridge is open again. Didn't want to stop in Gloucester so road through Alney Island out to the farm shop at Over, which was slightly disappointing in terms of food but is an interesting building in a pretty landscape and a handy place. Looked at the map – yes, I'd thought to bring a map with me! – and planned a route to Newent along little lanes, only to divert along another lane as soon as I got there. Then out the other end of the town, under the old railway bridge and immediately right towards Upleadon and Highleadon and loop back towards Gloucester. Except that I spotted a sign to Redmarley, a place where I read a couple of days ago there is a surviving Chartist settlement; a sort of early Victorian squatter-builder-back to the land movement. (The OS map has this as Redmarley D'Abitot but all the road signs and signs in the village are just Redmarley. Besides, I was now off the edge of my map.  :D) This isn't exactly hilly country, in that there are no sizable or notable hills, but there are a lot of quite steep valleys with little rivers at the bottom. The village had been having a flower festival and a woman in the village hall was unable to sell me any tea or cake – all gone – but told me where to find the Chartist bit. It's actually beyond the village, along the main road, up the hill and then down to the left. This is what I found:

I felt like going a bit further so followed signs to a place called Pendock, not really knowing where it was. And this is what I found:
  :D

Also an old church, one of those ancient ones a couple of miles from the village:

Into Tewkesbury on one of those A roads that's so quiet you don't realize it's an A road (bet it's different on a weekday). Lasagne at the RHP. Back through Berkeley but before I got there, a car crash. There's a fairly large roundabout where the A38 joins the A419 a few miles south of Gloucester. Approaching my exit, I saw a couple of cars pulled up on the left immediately past the roundabout. Silly place to stop, I thought. Then I noticed the four or five cars stopped on the other side – these are all single carriageway roads with short sections of d.c. where they approach the rbt – stopped behind one wrecked car and a demolished lamppost. Amazingly, the lamppost had fallen entirely on the grass of the central reservation. Evidently, the crash had only just happened. As I stopped, a man got out of the crashed car and ran back in the direction he'd come from. Someone asked him if there was anyone else in the car, he ignored them but turned round, retrieved something from the car, then sprinted off again and disappeared somewhere. I walked over to the car. There was no one in it. Smoking air bags, nothing much left forward of the windscreen. No one needed help, someone was already on the phone to the emergency services, I hadn't witnessed it and couldn't identify the driver who presumably had no insurance/licence/whatever, so I got back on my bike and rode on up the slope towards Eastington. A police car screeched down the hill, sirens wailing.

After that I had a tranquil ride through the lanes, stopping in Berkeley for some chips (20p cheaper than in Bristol but not too good). It got dark and my IQ-X headlight was doing its bright but narrow and overly harsh cut off thing. Better than the 1980s though!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21209 on: 06 August, 2017, 04:11:49 pm »
How does a horse dismount?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #21210 on: 06 August, 2017, 04:37:05 pm »
A nice 108km figure of 8 loop around the Campsies including (unusually for me) a cafe stop at Rhubarb Lime in Kipped.
Weather was pretty good as was the company today

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21211 on: 06 August, 2017, 08:42:57 pm »
How does a horse dismount?
I can only think of one situation and it's not what you'd expect to see on the road...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21212 on: 06 August, 2017, 09:21:58 pm »
Ahh,  miss.  Cudzo's being  rude, miss.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21213 on: 06 August, 2017, 10:07:00 pm »
An interesting ride onto the normally 'out of bounds' Foulness Island followed by a beer on Southend beach.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21214 on: 07 August, 2017, 10:37:43 am »
A toddle down to Mutzig for a pizza. I put the dyno wheel back on the front and Mr. Carradice on the back so that it felt a bit more like an Audax. After my light Bontrager front wheel the effort needed to push the 32-spoke dyno wheel was somewhat crushing for the first hour, then I suddenly realized that I'd ridden the last few k without noticing it.

Beautiful weather with a light tailwind in the morning, freshening to no-so-light for the return trip straight into it. 153 km in all, with lumps & mucho chip'n'seal. Piccie:

Detail:

That'll be worth another visit in a couple of weeks.

Couldn't help feeling a bit spoilt when I thought of the poor devils hauling ass through the Borders on LEL and getting blasted in the Fens.  However, the pizza was one of those miserable thin-crust ones and the helping of sorbet I had afterwards was downright niggardly, which kinda makes up for it.  And I'm back to bloody diabetic short commons today. :sick:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21215 on: 07 August, 2017, 02:25:24 pm »
A quick 50k out towards Bath before work. I say work, I mean reading yacf as much as I cab get away with!

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #21216 on: 07 August, 2017, 02:49:25 pm »
28 miles in 1hr 50.

That's about my lot !!
Steady at 15

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21217 on: 07 August, 2017, 05:33:16 pm »
I took the fully-fettled Fire Mountain around the local MTB trail.  It was a lot more fun than on the old Cinder Cone.  Only one dab and I can get between the two trees near the end with 560mm bars.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #21218 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:30:21 pm »
38 mile loop up to Malmesbury and back. Nice and flat and took it steady. Bike developed a maddening noise though. Sounds like disc brake rub from the rear, but attempts to confirm all failed. I think a thorough clean and service is required and will hopefully silence it!

« Reply #21219 on: 09 August, 2017, 08:55:21 pm »
14 squelchy mounrain bike mile loop round Tilgate Forest. Discovered Ferns make good crash mats...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21220 on: 10 August, 2017, 08:54:02 am »
Yesterday, a pleasantly warm 60k in the Outre-Forêt, flat 30 + lumpy 30.  Had a mediocre and pricey lunch in Seltz - should have known better - to the enchanting lilt of Radio Arschbacken Regenbogen in the background.  I wouldn't have gone in but the sign outside said "Tartes Flambées** midi et soir" and I fancied one, but once in it appeared that that was only on weekends so I took the meal of the day but with a dessert off the menu. Ouch. Still, a pleasant terrace to eat on with lizards darting about, dragonflies zooming up & down and a pair of storks circling overhead.

The second 30 was a good digestif with a lot of rolling hills. Lots of chicken farms: much of the time I might have been cleaning out the parrot's cage. Glad our local chicken magnate keeps his away across the valley from "town".

Met the missus in Wissembourg for coffee & ice-cream, then stuck the bike in the back of the car for the trip home.

** a bit like pizza but not.

essexian

« Reply #21221 on: 12 August, 2017, 08:25:29 am »
Given the choice yesterday of spending my afternoon off shopping for a dress for a wedding or cycling, I bet you can guess what I picked to do..... ;D   

So, 35kms around the lanes near Haughton, Ranton, Eccleshall, Gnosall and back I discovered that August is no longer a summer month as I was freezing! However, I did record 8 PB on Strava and noted that since the start of the year my Watts/Kg has increased from around 1.0W/kg, to yesterday 1.30W/kg...... soon I will be up there with the Pro's.......  :-\ ;D (Well I am pleased I seemed to be getting fitter).

As to the dress... CBH says I can get one on line..... :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21222 on: 12 August, 2017, 09:19:47 am »
...I discovered that August is no longer a summer month...

Yeah.  We've had 17° and wet for the last two days.  The campsite operators are complaining about a lousy July and miserable August.  We do have odd decent days now and September is often good, but July/August? Bah.

ETA: Just read on FB: "In Lorraine we have 28°!  13° in the morning and 15° in the afternoon".

« Reply #21223 on: 12 August, 2017, 04:36:03 pm »
With a 2pm start at work, I headed out at 9am for a 100km blast over to Oxfordshire to see an old RAF pal, then headed in to dreary old Swindon for my shift.

Bike has developed an infuriating rear wheel 'tick/ping' which I think is spoke related, but they all seem nice and tight. Otherwise, a lovely brisk and breezy ride in the sun.

« Reply #21224 on: 12 August, 2017, 08:10:47 pm »
Origami ride for folding bikes, circular route from Didcot, about 30 riders incuding two tandems. Started SW via Harwell then along Winnaway, through Wantage and stopping for lunch at The Fox in Drenchworth. Total of 26 miles.