Author Topic: Which compact digital next?  (Read 12027 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Which compact digital next?
« Reply #25 on: 17 November, 2016, 08:47:10 am »
Hum.  Looking more closely at TZ60 samples on DP Review, the lens gets a bit smeary in the corners at the widish end, while lawn grass tends to get mushed, probably by a mixture of lens effects and noise reduction.  Maybe for some this is an acceptable trade-off with superzooms, but I find it a bit off-putting.  My TZ3 was only a 10x with 7 Mp effective, but the lens was much better-behaved and the NR didn't mush things so much.  But it used a CCD, which maybe explains things, and didn't have great ISO performance. And phones weren't pushing compact cameras out of the market.

I think that marketing has pushed compact-camera lenses and small-sensor ISO far beyond their optimal performance range, largely because the punters can't tell the difference: witness the rash of crappy supermoon pics on FB.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #26 on: 19 November, 2016, 12:34:36 pm »
The deed is done!

The clincher was when I spotted one of the artists I'm mentoring had a TZ71 and he said it was what his dad (who used to work for Ilford) picked out for him.

Thanks all for your help - I would still be faffing and going around in circles without this thread.

Now, just under 2 weeks in which to figure out how to use the thing...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #27 on: 20 November, 2016, 02:53:26 pm »
Now, just under 2 weeks in which to figure out how to use the thing...

Stick it in Program mode and turn off the flash unless absolutely necessary.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #28 on: 20 November, 2016, 02:58:50 pm »
Try it at various ISO levels and various lighting conditions so that you'll know which to use when.  It's a bummer to find that what you thought was going to be a great shot turns out to have green & purple patches in the shadows or have burnt-out detail-free sky.

« Reply #29 on: 20 November, 2016, 04:29:06 pm »

It's insane!
That tower's 3 miles away and I didn't even get out of bed to take the photo!

Flash off is my default, and I can cope with point and shoot, but I want to master some of the useful tools beyond that and be a bit more accomplished generally.

Agreed about finding out where its limits are too.

Getting the focus where I want it and not where the algorithm thinks I want it is the first challenge!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #30 on: 21 November, 2016, 09:26:43 am »
Getting the focus where I want it and not where the algorithm thinks I want it is the first challenge!

....and yet it's the nicer photo

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #31 on: 21 November, 2016, 10:42:05 am »
Sometimes that can have interesting results. What you don't want to see on the autoroute:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 21 November, 2016, 02:11:45 pm »

....and yet it's the nicer photo

That's because you can see less Birmingham.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #33 on: 21 November, 2016, 02:39:30 pm »
That's because you can see less Birmingham.

Ah , it has an automatic Brummy-Blur filter?  Very nice.

« Reply #34 on: 12 December, 2016, 04:08:56 pm »
OK, so the timing looks good for me to ask some dumb questions.

I would like to upgrade the family compact camera (currently a Canon SX210).
The logical choice might be the Canon SX710, or perhaps the (very similar spec) Sony DSC HX60.

However, my wide likes the look of the Canon SX530, which is admittedly very cheap (I know it's a couple of years old now).
It's a smaller sensor with an older processor, but I'm guessing it'll be a big step up from the SX210.

However, I suspect the extra weight and bulk of the bridge camera outweighs any advantages with regards to extreme zoom length.

Opinions?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #35 on: 12 December, 2016, 04:40:59 pm »
Suggest you correct the typo in case she reads over your shoulder. ;)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #36 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:45:17 pm »
OK, so the timing looks good for me to ask some dumb questions.

I would like to upgrade the family compact camera (currently a Canon SX210).
The logical choice might be the Canon SX710, or perhaps the (very similar spec) Sony DSC HX60.

However, my wide likes the look of the Canon SX530, which is admittedly very cheap (I know it's a couple of years old now).
It's a smaller sensor with an older processor, but I'm guessing it'll be a big step up from the SX210.

However, I suspect the extra weight and bulk of the bridge camera outweighs any advantages with regards to extreme zoom length.

Opinions?

I wouldn't upgrade from the SX210 to the SX710 personally. It doesn't seem that much of an upgrade for £200.

As mentioned above the Panasonic TZ60 sounds like a superb package that will allow you to take a step further (RAW images) if you decide to at some stage.

Why are you "upgrading"?

« Reply #37 on: 12 December, 2016, 08:42:25 pm »
Mainly because the old camera has been heavily used and is pretty battered. Missing cover from one of the buttons. The lens cover doesn't close properly and there's a small defect in the lens now.

« Reply #38 on: 15 December, 2016, 03:56:26 pm »
Nikki you are probably in Japan by now - or even back here again - but the TZ-70 has a Shooting Through Glass scene mode that works very well through double glazed patio doors.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #39 on: 15 December, 2016, 04:47:37 pm »
The TZ70 would be my choice I this, but it bumps the price a bit.

The Canon "Bridge" cameras like the SX530 aren't pocket-able in the same way and the images from "Superzooms" are of questionable quality at the far end.

Better to have a camera that you can carry easily and some nice glass.

« Reply #40 on: 28 December, 2016, 05:55:06 pm »
Nikki you are probably in Japan by now - or even back here again - but the TZ-70 has a Shooting Through Glass scene mode that works very well through double glazed patio doors.

Got back late last night.

Fuji-san through glass and from 45 storeys up:

Fuji-san through glass and from considerably higher up:

I got a bit flummoxed by the camera on occasions, but loving the zoom and it's lovely to not have the blobby things on every image  :thumbsup: