Author Topic: On Thursday something special is going to happen.  (Read 3824 times)

On Thursday something special is going to happen.
« on: 18 January, 2017, 11:56:38 am »
My much loved Canon AE-1 is coming home.   

This camera holds much sentimental value for me.   It belonged to my best friend and best man from the 1980's.   He died a few years after I married from cancer.   In order to help his widow who had two young children I bought his camera from her for a generous amount of money.   I last used it in 2000.

During my marriage break up and subsequent divorce it was held hostage and 'disappeared'.

I thought that it had been long disposed of but apparently not and I get it back on Thursday.   I wonder what state it will be in.

Re: On Thursday something special is going to happen.
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2017, 10:08:29 pm »
Oh my!

Youngest son arrives with the camera still in the wee gadget bag that I used to carry the AE-1 with a 35 - 70 zoom, a Vivitar Thyristor zoom 3500 flash and a few accessories around in.   I pulled it out of the bag and re-familiarised myself with it.   My, aren't slr's small.

Remember, I haven't used this camera since mid 2000.

I click it on and raise it to my eye.   A gentle squeeze of the shutter and ...

it bursts into life!   Really?   WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moving the camera about I can see the needle popping up and down as I move across the ceiling light, the flashing red leds for under / over exposure, and even manage to focus using the screen.   That needs a clean.

I slip a couple of Duracell AA's into the flashgun and attach it to the camera.   I turn the flashgun on.   After a few seconds it bleeps to tell me that it is ready.

I point he camera at mllePB, focus, then hit the shutter button.  The flash pops, the viewfinder light goes green and the flash gives me the 'correct exposure' long beeeeeeeeep.   There is still a film in there too.   It is an Ilford 400 which I put in there in 2000.

I am incredulous at the fact that it all works still after nearly 16 years in hibernation.   

I'm considering buying film and taking her to Malham.   

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2017, 10:26:11 pm »
 :)
Good luck with it. I think I've got an AE1 in the loft. Good cameras.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2017, 10:28:48 pm »
That's great! I wonder what else is on the film?

(I had wondered if something like this was delivered

I know I've got some shots of West Indes vs some team or other at Jesmond in the v early 1980's. I just have to guess which roll it is!
It is simpler than it looks.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2017, 10:33:47 pm »
I have an AE-1 program which I took some film pics on this year, having not used it for years, was surprised it still worked!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2017, 11:30:20 pm »
Oh I am pleased you got it back. Do finish the film and see what else is on it when you get it developed and tell us all.

« Reply #6 on: 20 January, 2017, 12:19:46 am »

Nice one Mike  :D

I've got a Pentax ME-Super of similar vintage...... not used it in years....

I've also got a few rolls of 90's vintage Velvia left  somewhere!  I wonder if that's still usable, or worth anything on Ebay!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #7 on: 20 January, 2017, 06:08:16 am »
Result! It's great when things that are lost are found again...Not sure the film will expose properly after that time in who knows what conditions.

« Reply #8 on: 20 January, 2017, 06:42:40 am »
I gave away my AE1 (+ lenses and other kit) to TT Cyclist (NOTP) a couple of years ago.
It had lain unused for around 20 years. It was still working when I gave it to her.
I think that after all that time, the film you have. may be toast.

« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2017, 11:26:13 pm »
Really pleased for you Mike. I still have my AE-1, bought new for me by my granddad in about 1979. I've still got the 50/1.8 it arrived with and a couple of other lenses picked up along the way. I still get it out occasionally too, partly sentimental but also because the 55/1.2 is a bit special.

Enjoy

Mike

fuzzy

« Reply #10 on: 06 February, 2017, 03:31:00 pm »
I must say, there is something viscerally satisfying about the sound of a wet film camera firing off and the motor drive advancing.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #11 on: 07 February, 2017, 05:44:32 pm »
I must say, there is something viscerally satisfying about the sound of a wet film camera firing off and the motor drive advancing.

Yes.  I stupidly sold my Me-Super a while back.  I'd like it back just to fire the shutter off occasionally.

I guess I'll just have to use one of my many 35mm "ornaments" ... but leaf-shutters don't sound the same.

For true nostalgia a Zenit-E always gave a true Soviet, "Ker-whoosh-bang" when it fired.  I suspect the internals were AK-47 based.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2017, 07:48:27 pm »
I've still got two ME Supers - mine, and my late father-in-law's. Really ought to give them a try again. I've also got my Super A, which was very second hand, but very working.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 08 February, 2017, 02:53:14 pm »
Still got 3 Ollies + lenses, although the rings on my favourite 24-45 mm is now very stiff.  I used it on an EP-3 a couple of years back with pleasant results.

Funny feeling, using a film camera these days: I keep looking at the bit of film carton in the clip on the back and wondering where the LCD went.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 18 March, 2017, 08:37:16 pm »
The best shutter sound is that of a screwmount Leica at its flash sync speed.  On SLRs you hear the clack of the mirror more than anything.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 19 March, 2017, 01:22:09 pm »
Leaf shutters make by far the best sound.
Getting there...