Author Topic: Milk which type - full, skimmed or semi  (Read 5430 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Milk which type - full, skimmed or semi
« Reply #25 on: 26 February, 2017, 07:49:29 pm »
Kosher milk was unpasteurised (GREEN top) when I was a kid and delivered by our Express milkman.
While our family was happy to drink standard pasteurised milk, we sometimes had guests who only took Kosher milk, which we only had for Passover.

Being unpasteurised in an urban environment/delivery chain meant it was frequently off  :sick: or on the turn.

I have always loved my milk but this was worse than school milk in the '60s...

« Reply #26 on: 26 February, 2017, 08:27:19 pm »
Hemp milk. Love it.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #27 on: 27 February, 2017, 03:05:31 pm »
We got raw milk from the milkman when I was a kid. It's much nicer than pasteurised milk, in the same way that free range eggs are nicer than battery eggs.

Tastes best still warm from the cow.
 :thumbsup:
Jennifer - Walker of hills

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 27 February, 2017, 09:36:18 pm »
Primary school udban myth: all Co-Op milk is goats' milk.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #29 on: 02 March, 2017, 06:39:39 pm »
It's about time correct milk consumption got its own thread!  For me it's been all about semi for a long time for the reasons OP states however recently my girlfriend has been getting me on soya for the environmental benefits (less cow farts used) and I have to say the taste and price are not as different as I feared.

« Reply #30 on: 03 March, 2017, 08:35:29 am »
Mrs M insists on skimmed milk which is fine until it comes to breakfast cereal when it's like eating cornflakes with water. I've found Oatly which is an oat based milk of Swedish origin and it is the perfect accompaniment for cereal (but nothing else). It must be shaken or it looks like body fluid. Almond milk is a good second.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #31 on: 22 March, 2017, 11:02:38 am »
We're a raw milk household, and I found an added benefit was the lack of histamines which are apparently released during the Pasteurisation process, I now suffer dramatically less allergy attacks than I used to, and I haven't had to restock with Benadryl since we started using it.  We get ours from Peak House Farm, Cole Henley, in Hampshire.  Yes, you can freeze it (as long as you have the plastic bottles, not the glass ones!).

Yes, non-pasteurised doesn't last as long, but as it is so much fresher when you get it (same day, or early in the day it'll be the previous days) as compared to about a week old for pasteurised, I don't consider it to be an issue. The whole milk buying machine and surroundings are impressively clean at our place, which is more than could be said for the production dairy/bottling plant that I used to do building design and maintenance work for.

At work I use skimmed, because that is what my manager insisted on, and since she's gone, I've stuck with it, as I reckon it can't have much of the histamines in it, as it hasn't got much of anything in it!  I won't have to buy any more of that, as I retire next week  ;D ;D ;D
Wombat

« Reply #32 on: 22 March, 2017, 11:08:26 am »
We always had milk straight from the cow when I was a kid.

I notice from the tellybox this morning that there's now such a thing as Free Range milk. Apparently to qualify the cow has to spend 6 months outside but again my memories from being a kid in the pennines are that most cows were outside all the time so long as the weather wasn't too bad. In winter they would be brought up to pastures near the farm house but that was it.