Author Topic: Inner thigh cramps after cycling  (Read 3245 times)

Inner thigh cramps after cycling
« on: 23 May, 2017, 08:08:30 am »
After cycling for the last 2 weeks (65Km & 76Km) I have suffered inner thigh cramps about 2 hours or so after these cycling bouts. It starts when I am sitting down on the settee resting, the inner thigh of only my right leg begins to spasm and go into a debilitating cramp from my knee right up into my groin, possibly my gracilis muscle?. It doesn't affect my left leg. This is a new problem.

I have noticed my right heel has nicely polished my right crank so some sort of adjustment is needed ( I have just fitted a spacer to move my right pedal out by 20mm). I have read this may be a serious artery problem which affects cyclists due to the bent over position while exercising which kinks the main artery serving one of the legs reducing it's blood flow, this leads to the artery wall becoming hardened.

I am going to try some adductor strengthening exercises, that along with my pedal adjustment, I will monitor my progress.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Re: Inner thigh cramps after cycling
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2017, 10:38:12 am »
I have had inner thigh soreness resulting from my saddle being too low.   Have you recently altered the position or has it moved of it's own accord perhaps?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2017, 10:52:34 am »
I had exactly this problem a while after long rides. "Mummy, why is Daddy curled up on the floor, swearing?"

HIGH-5 Zero completely fixed the problem.  It was dehydration-related cramps.  Well that's my theory.

I'll even mix up a pint of HIGH 5 when I get home as well.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2017, 11:03:31 am »
I've also equated many of my cramp problems to dehydration.  On longer rides I now force myself to drink more frequently even though not consciously thirsty.  As above, water with added tablets - NUUN are my favourites.

BTW, when the inner thigh cramp is extremely painful I can relieve it my self-massaging deep into the muscles just above the knee on the inside.  It hurts but it works!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2017, 11:05:27 am »
I have had inner thigh soreness resulting from my saddle being too low.   Have you recently altered the position or has it moved of it's own accord perhaps?

Nothing has changed on the bike, it's not soreness, this was a sudden onset of cramp in my inner right thigh after riding on both occasions. it's not due to chaffing etc. Thanks.

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2017, 11:12:05 am »
I had exactly this problem a while after long rides. "Mummy, why is Daddy curled up on the floor, swearing?"

HIGH-5 Zero completely fixed the problem.  It was dehydration-related cramps.  Well that's my theory.

I'll even mix up a pint of HIGH 5 when I get home as well.

On the first ride I only took plain water, the second was with High 5 zero electrlyte tablets added and also a further bottle of water half way round. I am fully aware of dehydration as I am a serious cramper. I have written about in here before so I don't think it was dehydration, that's why I am thinking either weak inner thigh strength or something else as it was only this one area.

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2017, 11:16:29 am »
I've also equated many of my cramp problems to dehydration.  On longer rides I now force myself to drink more frequently even though not consciously thirsty.  As above, water with added tablets - NUUN are my favourites.

BTW, when the inner thigh cramp is extremely painful I can relieve it my self-massaging deep into the muscles just above the knee on the inside.  It hurts but it works!

When the cramp came on it was severely painful and the only respite I could get was to carefully stand up, massaging didn't seem to help much but it was short lived but oh so painful. Due to my previous on cramps I managed to down a magnesium supplement afterwards as I have found this helps me. It just seems to becoming a regular feature I'm trying to sort out before my 160K Lunesdale Audax in June.

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2017, 12:14:24 pm »
I use High five and still get the cramps on occasion. Inner thigh is murder.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain