Author Topic: Bar tape  (Read 5704 times)

Re: Bar tape
« Reply #25 on: 25 May, 2017, 12:32:58 pm »
I like the silicone ones like Widget, ODI and Lizard Skins. Even better if they have a thin 'margin' along the edge as it helps provide a guide to get them look really neat. They last for ever.
I've got the Widget tape on at present. I like it (good grip, doesn't pick up much muck so the hands stay clean, easy to re-wrap), but I'm finding it's not lasting as well as normal, even with being able to take it off and swap ends so it's the other edge inside the wrap.
I've got Lizard Skins waiting to go on, but JonB doesn't imply that it will be any better.

« Reply #26 on: 28 May, 2017, 10:26:04 pm »
I'm wondering about double wrapping for comfort. Also thinking it might be possible to wrap the two tapes to create a thin line of a different colour as a feature. I got my bike with a silver tape with a black edge. This gives a black line to the edge. It kind of works. If only it wasn't a cheap and nasty tape that's worn badly. What's your view on this?

Also you can get gel pads to put under your tape. Is this a good idea? It'll be on a bike I use for commuting and touring so comfort will be appreciated.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #27 on: 28 May, 2017, 11:10:03 pm »
I've recently fitted some Tortec Super Comfort bar tape to my Raleigh, and it seems to live up to the name. I can especially feel the difference from the old Deda Cork tape it replaced when I ride without gloves.

What I also like about it is that it has a silicone-like gripper rather than adhesive, so can be taken off and re-wrapped without leaving any sticky mess.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #28 on: 08 June, 2017, 11:01:19 am »
I've used Cinelli Cork Gel tape for a while now - about £15 - i've had the stuff on and off a few times (playing around with different old-school quill stems) and it still looks good after re-wrapping three or more times (only on the left side and you cannot tell the difference between the two sides). I also got it very oily one night when I broke a chain in the dark and it wiped down pretty well with white spirits though not totally pristine.
I've had cotton, plastic, and real cork tape in the past and this stuff offers the most comfortable/durable combo, though I've never tried that big thick foam tube stuff or leather.
FYI I almost never ride on the drops but do wrap it in that way in the Park instructions

« Reply #29 on: 08 June, 2017, 11:16:45 am »
I've used Cinelli Cork Gel tape

I'm a big fan of this, wraps easy, plenty of material on the roll, as you say - can be re-wrapped no trouble, lasts ages and is a tenner from the big online shops.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 08 June, 2017, 11:22:00 am »
big thick foam tube stuff
Grab On. I had it in the 1980s. It's pretty comfy but I wouldn't say it was enormously better than good quality tape. I do remember there was a huge difference in durability between the genuine Grab On and imitations. I know a bloke who uses it now, orders it inmultiple-of-metre lengths from a German ebay source. He also says the genuine Grab On is much better than others.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #31 on: 08 June, 2017, 12:54:40 pm »
Bit out of the norm here , I do NOT like the lizard skins tape . I find it too thick and don't think it looks good and its also a bugger to get tucked neatly into the bar ends . I always use deda carbon ribbon which is a nice compromise between cork and rubbery tape . its also easy to stretch , shiny and easy to keep clean ( even the white ) it also lasts for ages.

Again in contrary to almost everyone else it seems. I always wrap my bars from the stem down to the ends . I wrap it tight with a 50% overlap , use no sticky tape or the little extra bits and cross round the levers twice . I've never had a problem with peeling on the corners . but I know a few people who have . I couldn't say what I do differently to them but I love wrapping bars and love a nice neat job

« Reply #32 on: 08 June, 2017, 01:01:31 pm »
Anyone know why there seem to be fewer multi-coloured designs around these days? I've always liked speckled and striped patterns, but most tape now seems boringly monochrome.

Agreed. I love a bit of splash tape! Too much boring black around IMHO.

« Reply #33 on: 08 June, 2017, 02:59:08 pm »
Lizard Skins do a some colourful options as does Cinelli and others

« Reply #34 on: 08 June, 2017, 10:03:56 pm »
Lizard skins look really good, but pricey. Thanks.

« Reply #35 on: 09 June, 2017, 06:14:23 am »
thinking it might be possible to wrap the two tapes to create a thin line of a different colour as a feature. .

thin feature line?  no, go harlequin: http://imgur.com/a/lGGeb

There are on-line videos that explain the process

FWIW, I also like the Fizik product; their "charcoal" dark gray is a nice change from plain black

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: 14 August, 2017, 10:12:16 pm »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, my lbs got me a set of 3.2mm lizard skins in black.

Thanks

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/