Author Topic: Using a raspberry Pi as an advert blocker  (Read 1770 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Using a raspberry Pi as an advert blocker
« on: 04 July, 2017, 01:23:12 am »
Was wondering if any one was using a Pi as an ad blocker using the pi hole program.

Just wondering as I'm thinking of doing it.

Maludenbas

Re: Using a raspberry Pi as an advert blocker
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:09:30 am »
I do and I wouldn't be without it.

PiHole has become quite sophisticated since it's inception; it will handle DHCP allocation too now (I don't use that function and leave it to my router) and the web interface is quite swish now too, giving loads of info on what's been blocked and when. There are editable black & white lists, though the stock blacklists are comprehensive. In honesty, it's been fun to watch PiHole grow. I have made donations too btw, as it's an important part of my network. I can't specify the DNS on my router so I have to configure each device, manually - no problem, and enables those that want ads etc to see them. It can also be disabled from the web interface, which is a useful function. I'd even swear my tablet loads web pages more quickly now too!

My Pi runs Raspbian (Debian Jessie) and the PiHole installation is a doddle, a simple command line instruction that does everything for you.  Do it, you won't be disappointed :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:55:47 am »
Was wondering if any one was using a Pi as an ad blocker using the pi hole program.

Out of interest, does the client browser still get messages from savvy websites asking you to disable your ad blocker?

« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:12:18 am »
FTR, I keep an ultra stripped back version of  K-Meleon (without Javascript etc) that mostly works to show adblocker detecting sites, IICBA.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2017, 12:03:33 pm »

Out of interest, does the client browser still get messages from savvy websites asking you to disable your ad blocker?

No idea.  I'm at the thinking stage ;)

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 28 November, 2017, 07:44:58 pm »
Just installed Pi-hole today. Set up was pretty simple as our network chores were already handled by a pi running dnsmasq.

We'll see how this pans out. The winning blocked domain so far is a Microsoft address  ::-).

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2017, 10:01:01 pm »
I run it under LXC on my router and it works well... only downside is it also blocks some google shopping suggestions and the odd quidco click through but other than that... annoying adverts playing music etc are a thing of the past :)
Regards,

Joergen