Author Topic: Recommend me a route from South London to Portsmouth?  (Read 1253 times)

Recommend me a route from South London to Portsmouth?
« on: 11 July, 2017, 11:58:04 am »
Hi all,

I'm going to a meeting in Portsmouth in September.
I quite fancy cycling there, so have been looking at routes. Using cycle.travel, which I quite like for route planning, it suggests a route via Kingston and Petersfield for about 80 miles.

I'm not a big fan of any route out via Kingston, so wondered about a route that heads more directly South and then crosses East to West. Perhaps following a route towards Brighton and then striking out cross-country from somewhere like Haywards Heath?

Any suggestions from the hive mind?

Re: Recommend me a route from South London to Portsmouth?
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2017, 01:00:18 pm »
I went last bank holiday from Portsmuff to Worthing then via Haywards Heath, then just straight up on the B roads. Watch the hill the otherside of the M25 into the suburbs of London. Only says 10%, I reckon more like 15%  :sick:

A nice route with the weather & sea on your right hand side through Chichester & stuff.

« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2017, 11:45:40 pm »
in the past when Ive been heading to the ferry i used to like getting the train out to Pulborough then riding on into portsmouth via this route:
https://www.strava.com/activities/134452208

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2017, 07:30:56 am »
I used to do this ride a lot. Once out of town it is vey pleasant. Head for Richmond Park, Hampton court, Guildford Via Occam, then you have to choose which route to avoid main roads but head down cross country to Havant. Down Hayling Billy trail to the ferry across into Portsmouth itself. It is a smashing ride.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2017, 03:16:30 pm »
You could try clarion's cheats escape route to get out of London. Out through Ewell, across Ashstead common to Leatherhead then small roads towards Ripley and Guildford? That avoids the steeper hills and busier roads.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.