Author Topic: SD Card repair utilities  (Read 1422 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
SD Card repair utilities
« on: 17 July, 2017, 03:13:59 pm »
I have a micro SD card in a full sized adaptor which I used in my camera at the weekend without problem.

I hooked the camera up to my TV last night via a USB connection to have a quick squint at the results. This also worked.

However, when I plugged it in to my W10 laptop I get error messages and W10 tries, but fails to fix them.  Copying the files off also fails after several minutes of inaction.

When I plugged it into my Ubuntu box to download the images into Shotwell it timed out/I got bored waiting for stuff to happen.

I then realised that the card was one that had been pulled from a now defunct phone and there are other images on there I'd like to rescue.  I can see the file structure fine, it's accessing the files that is the problem.

What utility does Thee Panel recommend to just Make It Work enough to grab the images? Ubuntu 16.04 or W10.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: SD Card repair utilities
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2017, 03:17:30 pm »
Linux and use Testdisk, very carefully
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2017, 03:19:45 pm »
Linux and use Testdisk, very carefully

ah, good call. I've got that (and photorec) already.

« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2017, 02:05:31 pm »
You could see if it works when cold (freezer). That worked once for me, and allowed me to lift many photos from a card that wouldn't play at room temperature.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2017, 02:52:26 pm »
Sandisk RescuePro has worked for me sometimes.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2017, 05:43:05 pm »
Reporting back.  The freezer trick didn't do a thing.  Testdisk gave me some info, but I had trouble understanding what was what.  ddrescue-gui did the job. Copied it all, bit by bit, onto my hard drive, then spent four days (yes, four days!) scraping the last wee bit from damaged blocks.  I ended up with an img file, so mounted that and copied the stuff I needed. A handful of photos couldn't be saved, although it did offer the option of trying again, with different settings. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:02:25 pm »
You could see if it works when cold (freezer). That worked once for me, and allowed me to lift many photos from a card that wouldn't play at room temperature.

Heh.  While I've used that to good effect on spinning rust disks, I wouldn't have thought to try it on flash memory!