Author Topic: family cycle touring  (Read 1418 times)

family cycle touring
« on: 21 July, 2017, 11:52:58 am »
Probably unrealistic but considering a family cycle tour in august as well got holiday ok late and want to do something mildly adventurous with the girls. Is there anywhere people can recommend with maybe 3 campsites within sorta 10 miles of the last which can be got to on quiet roads or cycle trails. Can't be too much more then that as that's about what the eldest monkey can manage. I can haul gear and the youngest in the burley kid trailer.

Thanks

Re: family cycle touring
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2017, 01:53:33 pm »
A few years ago we started putting together plans for a Cub and CrinklyLion-friendly orbit of York. First bit was probably down the planets path to Naburn, then I think we were looking to get across to http://www.fangfosspark.co.uk with the railway platforms on the campsite.

A while back I was also looking at walking some of the Welsh coastal path and noted the close proximity of campsites around the Shell Island/Barmouth area (I figured my range was about 5 miles a day at the time). Not very familiar with the area for cycling, but there's that trail going up the estuary from there.

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:56:39 pm »
We did a bit of a tour in East Kent and Thanet when the duck was 1 and in the seat on the back of my bike which was nice, mostly on quiet roads and the sea wall. We started at Whitstable and rode to Thanet then Canterbury.

2 years ago when he was 2, we rode from Mildenhall into Suffolk, which was beautiful, although circumstances made our first day longer than I would plan. Suffolk has loads of lovely roads for cycling, as does Norfolk.

Another that I have thought of doing is around the Cuckoo Trail and Pevensey levels. I think that we might do that as a first mini tour with the lad on his own bike, because I think we can do really short days.

I have thought of doing a tour around the Tissington and High Peak trails (and the others in that area), but there is a bit of a problem getting there because of the lack of railways. Plenty of campsites though.

Do it, it's great fun!  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2017, 01:50:37 pm »
Been vetoed by wife but if anyone is interested there seem to be a chain of forest camp sites in the new forest which would have been an option