Author Topic: replacing fluorescent tubes  (Read 1428 times)

replacing fluorescent tubes
« on: 11 August, 2017, 07:57:02 am »
I need to rewire the lighting circuit in my workshop.
The first section is 9 metres by 3 metres and the second 4 metres by 2.4 metres. Neither section is over 2.4 metres at its highest point.
At the moment there is an ad hoc collection of 4' fluorescents; four in the long section and two in the remaining. They provide sufficient light because I have extra lighting over the three areas that I work.
I would like to go to LED lighting out there. Most of the house is now LED and I like the sharp whiteness of the light.

Am I right in thinking that there are LED tubes available to fit in my fluorescent fittings? if not, what are my alternatives?
Also, from a couple of years at night school in the early 1980's I vaguely remember that it is possible to work out how much light you need for a given area. Anybody know the formula, please?
Thanks for any advice and help.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: replacing fluorescent tubes
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2017, 10:16:57 am »
Do not get LED tubes that fit fluorescent fittings, as they need modifications to the fitting anyhow.

Get LED fittings that look like fluorescent fittings, as they will fit in place of the existing fittings.

Something like one of the last three on this page:-

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lighting_Fluorescent_Index/LED_Battens/index.html
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2017, 03:26:12 pm »
Do not get LED tubes that fit fluorescent fittings, as they need modifications to the fitting anyhow.

Get LED fittings that look like fluorescent fittings, as they will fit in place of the existing fittings.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lighting_Fluorescent_Index/LED_Battens/index.html

Interesting and twice the price.
Is there more to not getting the LED tubes than modifying the fitting?
Cheers

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2017, 06:17:02 am »

Interesting and twice the price.
Is there more to not getting the LED tubes than modifying the fitting?
Cheers
Not really. I don't like the general bodging involved in modifying the fittings, and once I'm up a ladder to make changes like that, I would rather do things properly.

Personally, I thought that the price was quite reasonable compared to the time taken to modify and re-use old fittings.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2017, 07:46:40 am »
+1. I put one up in my workshop recently: the job was no different from the ordinary fittings, and there aren't any dodgy wee starters to worry about. Not much difference in price from a fluo, and the light is quite pleasant.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2017, 11:24:46 am »

Not really. I don't like the general bodging involved in modifying the fittings, and once I'm up a ladder to make changes like that, I would rather do things properly.

Personally, I thought that the price was quite reasonable compared to the time taken to modify and re-use old fittings.
[/quote]

Thanks for that.
I'm retired so time is not a problem (although I'm aware it is running out) and nothing is over step up height in my workshop but I will take a look at the full fittings before deciding :)
Thanks for your help - very useful.
Cheers

« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2017, 10:57:44 pm »
Depends if the original fittings have magnetic or high frequency ballasts.  Magnetic ballast is a straight swap of the tube and replacing the starter with a unit that comes with the led lamp.  High frequency ballast units can't be adapted in this way.  See Toolstation for led replacement lamps and luminaires.

« Reply #7 on: 13 August, 2017, 10:03:49 am »
Depends if the original fittings have magnetic or high frequency ballasts.  Magnetic ballast is a straight swap of the tube and replacing the starter with a unit that comes with the led lamp.  High frequency ballast units can't be adapted in this way.  See Toolstation for led replacement lamps and luminaires.
Thanks Tod28