Author Topic: Emoji translator  (Read 1396 times)

Emoji translator
« on: 12 August, 2017, 11:01:46 am »
On the Beeb this morning there was one of those wonderful "create your own job" opportunities

Apparently with the increasing use of Emojis (World's fastest growing language), different companies offering slightly different interpretations, and general misunderstanding of the meanings ....

Therefore we all need the services of an Emoji Translator!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: Emoji translator
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2017, 11:48:31 am »
This baffles me.  Most* of the world gave up using heiroglyphics / other pictographic systems over 2,000 years ago because they were such a bloody pain and, by comparison with alphabet systems, hopelessly limited and much more difficult to learn and now some chumps want us to go back to them?  Gahhh! 

As for that bearded fool on the Beeb, yeah I saw the interview as well, I can't see that you need a human to do it. A machine could probably do it.  Google translate probably can already.

*Most, not all.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2017, 01:50:04 pm »
Roffle!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2017, 02:06:42 pm »
I agree with lurker on this one. Although I have used them to cover up my inability to express myself using the written word.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2017, 02:36:20 pm »
They're also mostly international, although Mr. le Maire's glyph for IGMC might pass a furriner by.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2017, 04:23:19 pm »
I agree with lurker on this one. Although I have used them to cover up my inability to express myself using the written word.

How can you be sure that the image you send is what the recipient sees?  That's what I'd like to know.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 16 August, 2017, 10:00:48 pm »
How can you be sure that the image you send is what the recipient sees?  That's what I'd like to know.

The same way you know that I see the 'H' at the start of the above sentence the same way you do.  (ie. you might reasonably assume that I'm seeing something that resembles an 'H', but shouldn't make assumptions about the finer details of the glyph.)

To their credit the Unicode Consortium have done a fantastic job of standardising all these emoji, but that doesn't mean that Apple's PILE OF POO will have the same Bristol Stool Scale score as stock Android's.  Or that your Windows desktop will even have a glyph for PILE OF POO.

💩