Author Topic: Bike friendly hotels in Basel  (Read 2406 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Bike friendly hotels in Basel
« on: 20 August, 2017, 09:05:10 pm »

Can anyone recommend a bike friendly hotel in Basel? Am pondering a ride there and would like somewhere to stay at the end of the ride where I can keep the bike indoors overnight.

Any recommendations?
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: Bike friendly hotels in Basel
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2017, 08:28:14 am »
Can't recommend a hotel as when I stayed in Basel recently, it was in a Formula 1 and I just took my bike up to my room with me. Nobody cared.

Actually, my experience of several European cycling tours is that hotels are very accommodating when it comes to bikes. I have never not had secure indoor parking for my bike and I rarely inform the hotels I am arriving by bike. That applies to large city centre hotels as well as small country ones.

If you don't get a recommendation, book a hotel that you like and tell them you're coming by bike. I'm sure you'll be fine.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2017, 08:56:01 am »
Can't recommend a hotel as when I stayed in Basel recently, it was in a Formula 1 and I just took my bike up to my room with me. Nobody cared.

Actually, my experience of several European cycling tours is that hotels are very accommodating when it comes to bikes. I have never not had secure indoor parking for my bike and I rarely inform the hotels I am arriving by bike. That applies to large city centre hotels as well as small country ones.

If you don't get a recommendation, book a hotel that you like and tell them you're coming by bike. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cheers.

The only negative experience I've had is the youth hostel in Luxembourg city, they objected to me wheeling my Brompton in and weren't much happier when I folded it up and took it upstairs with me. I'm hoping the Swiss will be more sensible about it as I won't be on a folding bike.

Cheers.

J
--

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2017, 11:51:40 am »
Hopefully you are aware how expensive hotels are in Basel.

My advice head north out of the city on the D66 to Saint-Louis, after crossing the border either the first or second on the left there is an Ibis they have a store room available. Staying on the French side further along the D66 there are some cheaper hotels including a Formula 1 near the airport. Not the best of hotels but they allow bikes in the rooms. If you go there remember they allow dogs (possible flees) in downstairs rooms so avoid. Much better to take your bike up a flight of stairs.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2017, 11:58:00 am »
My advice head north out of the city on the D66 to Saint-Louis, after crossing the border either the first or second on the left there is an Ibis they have a store room available. Staying on the French side further along the D66 there are some cheaper hotels including a Formula 1 near the airport.
I used to live in St Louis.  Basel is so expensive that a meal out in the city was a rare treat.  I can agree with the hotels that bikepacker has suggested, definitely stay on the French side.  There may be some on the German side of the river if German is your preference over French.

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2017, 10:13:13 pm »
I've found that the more upmarket the hotel is, the more accommodating they are. I've stayed in 2 hotels in Luxembourg City (found some cheap deals online) and both times the bike was well looked after.

Another thing is that cycle touring is incredibly popular in Europe and it's quite likely that the hotel is well used to cyclists and you'll probably not be the only one staying there.

Now that you mention it, the F1 was in Saint-Louis by the airport. Only €29 per night inc in-room bike parking 👍
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2017, 08:52:07 pm »

For when I find this thread again when googling for swiss hotels in a year or so, the youth hostel in Basel is bike friendly, they have a dedicated locked room in the basement with key access on request from reception.

I've spent the last 5 nights in hostels/hotels in 5 different countries, only one let me take the bike I to the room (cap Europe, Strasbourg).  One didn't really have any bike parking options so I locked it in the underground car parking garage. One had an outdoor parking area, but as it was literally freezing and I arrived soaked, let me park the bike in their office. The rest all had a dedicated room (1 outside, the rest inside) where I could store the bike.

Quite a mix

J
--

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #7 on: 01 January, 2018, 05:07:56 pm »
How are you getting back? Remember that while the airport there is Swiss-administered, and outside the EU for Customs purposes, it is geographically entirely within France.  I know the Bike Express has/had a route there, but I don't know where they stop.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 01 January, 2018, 05:25:05 pm »
How are you getting back? Remember that while the airport there is Swiss-administered, and outside the EU for Customs purposes, it is geographically entirely within France.  I know the Bike Express has/had a route there, but I don't know where they stop.

Train. 1100 from Zurich, charging at Duisberg and Arnhem Centraal. Booked a space for the bike and everything.

J
--

« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2018, 08:16:39 pm »
I've spent the last 5 nights in hostels/hotels in 5 different countries, only one let me take the bike I to the room (cap Europe, Strasbourg).  One didn't really have any bike parking options so I locked it in the underground car parking garage. One had an outdoor parking area, but as it was literally freezing and I arrived soaked, let me park the bike in their office. The rest all had a dedicated room (1 outside, the rest inside) where I could store the bike.

Quite a mix

J
If they say they do not have bike storage. I just say ok. I never ask if I can take my bike up to the room. I just carry it upstairs or wheel it into the lift. Never been challenged. Done this all over Europe, but there again, it is not often there is no storage facility. In Mallorca I always take the expensive hire bike into my room. Nobody seems to care.
Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/