Author Topic: USB-C charging cables  (Read 1341 times)

USB-C charging cables
« on: 04 September, 2017, 12:58:13 pm »
I understand this plug standard is starting to become the new standard for mobile phone use. Why is it hardly stocked anywhere on the high street or supermarkets?

Another thing, I take it a charging cable is USB-C to USB-C if I want a second cable to charge my phone at a conventional computer USB socket or on a charging plug socket? It's just that looking online you get all sorts of USB to USB cables. Not all are described clearly and in plain English IMHO. Possibly a stupid question but it's one I have.

Thirdly, any recommended cables? I read somewhere that cables with the same nominal spec do not necessarily have the same performance. Some are actually not very good.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: USB-C charging cables
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2017, 01:09:54 pm »
I understand this plug standard is starting to become the new standard for mobile phone use. Why is it hardly stocked anywhere on the high street or supermarkets?

Because high streets and supermarkets are always years behind the technology curve.  This was as true in the days of 5.25" floppies (when the idea that a *supermarket* might sell *computer equipment* was laughable) as it is today.

« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2017, 01:11:21 pm »
I shall put my two pence worth in here.  I saw a Phillips sales guy demonstrating a USB-C monitor a few months ago, and was convinced. One cable to your laptop to provide power, video and networking. And the plug is reversible to boot. So I recently bought a new laptop with USB-C - an HP Spectre, which is lovely.

Regarding the availability of cables - in the Netherlands every MediaMarkt store has a selection of Belkin USB-C to USB-C cables, USB-A to USB-C charging cables and USB-C chargers and car chargers. Regarding the quality of the cables, this meme seems to have come about because an employee of Google ruined his new Pixelbook by using a dodgy cheap USB-C lead. So I would stick to known brands.
https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/02/google-engineer-finds-usb-type-c-cable-thats-so-bad-it-fried-his-chromebook-pixel/

Regarding chargers, there are from what I can see two broad standards. The one for charging phones and tablets, for which all you need is a USB-A to USB-C charging lead, and a normal USB-A outlet or wall charger. For ultrabooks, Macbooks etc there is a USB-C power profile - whihc needs a 20Volt level. So for them you need a dedicated USB-C mains charger. In addition to the HP one I bought a small USB-C charger with a British mains plug. 20 quid from Carphone Warehouse. Sorted. 

I also bought a Hyperdrive USB-C hub at the weekend - USB-C to the hub, then HDMI, USB 2.0 and USB-C out.
This hub provides USB-C power also - so plug your charger INTO it and all you need is the one connection to your laptop.

So my short answer would be to have a look in Carphone Warehouse stores - their chargers at least are cheaper thean Maplin for a similar item.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2017, 05:32:22 pm »
Thirdly, any recommended cables?

Anker, Aukey, Belkin.

There are also USB Micro to USB-C adapters to allow the use of cables you've probably already got, for charging a modern phone or tablet.  http://amzn.eu/5FDRosm
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2017, 06:24:22 pm »
^^^^^ adapter ^^^^^ :thumbsup:   you only want to charge, right?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2017, 09:29:30 pm »
Charge and transfer files. Can you do that OK with an adapter?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2017, 04:18:35 pm »
Yes, with the Anker one at least.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●