Author Topic: Rockbros folding bike travel bag  (Read 357 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Rockbros folding bike travel bag
« on: September 23, 2017, 10:18:02 pm »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itsbruce/albums/72157689467939225/with/36553803604/

Found this while looking for a soft travel bag that would take a small bike with room for clothes as padding.  What you get is a backpack with a travel bag inside it, so that you can arrive, unpack the bike and ride off with the travel bag on your back.

Basics

Sometimes (and at time of posting) available from UK eBay traders for £34
Currently costs £57 on Amazon.  Although there's no official UK shop, they're storing stock somewhere in the UK because they offer next day delivery.

Backpack: 16.65 * 5.9 * 14.17 inches (42.3 * 15 * 36 cm), so 22L capacity
Travel bag: 26.77 * 13.38 * 33.46 inches (34 * 68 * 85 cm)
Combined weight: 2.4 kg

Backpack

Canvas with a (good quality) waterproof inner layer.  Fastenings and zips are enamelled steel.  A carrying handle, 2 webbing side pouches, two removable straps, a velcro sheath that can be used to combine the two straps into one (as an alternative way to carry by hand or to fasten the straps across your chest), two velcro fastenings that can be used to adjust the tension of the straps and/or to  hang the backpack from handlebars or a rack.

Construction quality is good all around, with no flimsy components or shoddy stitching.  It has fewer compartments than most cycling backpacks but the adaptability of the carrying/fastening options is impressive.

With the travel bag inside, there is a small amount of space left for other items.  You could fit in various toiletry items and a pair of Converse trainers in, for example.

Hanging the backpack from handlebars would only work with straight bars or shallow risers - not Brompton M - and would be helped by creative use of the straps to secure the bottom.

Travel bag

Same canvas as the backpack but a 3mm layer of foam padding and a water resistant inner layer.  Same quaiity of zips and fastenings, a small pouch on one side, a foldable insert with more padding to stiffen the base.  Restraining strap on the inside, the straps from the backpack can be transferred to the carry bag (which you will need to do while moving it because there are no other handles).

Again, the overall quality is good.  But it's not enough protection for a cargo hold.  You would want to put some bubblewrap and clothes around the bike.  There's room.

Folding the travel bag up again to fit it in the backpack is easy - as long as you leave the zips open a bit, otherwise you'll be wrestling with an inflatable bed (a testament to the integrity of the inside layers and the zips).

Summary

Simple, good idea.  Good quality kit. Adaptable to different combinations of transport and additional luggage. Cheap.  But it's a soft bag, so you'll need to add to the protection for a cargo hold.  Useful if you want one hold bag to fit both your clothes and your folder.

I'll be putting this to the test in a few days so will be able to report back.

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Re: Rockbros folding bike travel bag
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 09:59:37 am »
I used this on an EasyJet flight to Turkey, adding some cardboard lining, some bubblewrap and some clothes.   No damage at all to the bike.

The bag has no wheels, which will make it difficult to carry for any distance, for most people, just by lifting with your arm(s).  However, the straps can be used to carry the (fully laden) travel bag on your back. The detachable straps mean you can choose between having the bike/bag in a traverse or vertical position on your back.

If you're not confident about your back, your choices are
  • Plan your route to the airport so that the bag will not have to be carried far
  • Ride to the airport with the partially packed bag on your back and finish packing there
  • Buy some detachable wheels
  • Choose a different bag

Personally, I'll be happy to use this bag again.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher