Author Topic: Lady Lucan RIP  (Read 2514 times)

Lady Lucan RIP
« on: 27 September, 2017, 04:17:57 pm »

Lady Lucan, key figure in 1974 murder mystery, found dead at London home

Veronica, the Dowager Countess of Lucan, was the only known witness to the terrible events that led to the murder of her children’s nanny Sandra Rivett, 29, in 1974 at the family home in Belgravia, central London.

With her death, described by police as “unexplained” but not believed to be suspicious, the mystery will endure.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Re: Lady Lucan RIP
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2017, 04:31:23 pm »
Not really adding much to this thread, I went on a walking tour of Belgravia and the mews there. We went to the pub which Lady Lucan ran into after finding the nanny dead.  Ah - the Plumbers Arms says the article.
Such pubs were actually named after the trades which would gather there. So if you needed a plumber - well go to the Plumbers Arms. Same for Bricklayers etc.

« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2017, 04:55:03 pm »
Not really adding much to this thread, I went on a walking tour of Belgravia and the mews there. We went to the pub which Lady Lucan ran into after finding the nanny dead.  Ah - the Plumbers Arms says the article.
Such pubs were actually named after the trades which would gather there. So if you needed a plumber - well go to the Plumbers Arms. Same for Bricklayers etc.

Why would you need a plumber after finding your nanny dead?  Sounds a bit fishy, no?  Unless she mistook it for the Bricklayers Arms.  A bricklayer could have been useful..

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:38:13 am »
Presumably the Shallow Grave Diggers' Arms was shut for the night?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:41:53 am »
It was Lord Lucan, in the cellar, with the lead pipe.

I win!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2017, 06:52:39 pm »
Were it not for the substantial age difference, the disappeared villianous toff would be a dead ringer for my chum Mr Appleby.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2017, 10:30:39 pm »
So did Lucan come back and finish the job?

« Reply #7 on: 30 September, 2017, 10:20:26 am »
I thought he was supposed to have dived into La Manche or some such?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: 30 September, 2017, 10:50:10 am »
I thought he was supposed to have dived into La Manche or some such?

From the article:

This year, Lady Lucan gave a television interview in which she said she believed her husband had jumped off a cross-Channel ferry, “in the way of the propellers so that his remains wouldn’t be found – I think quite brave”.

A ferry of that era:

Whilst jumping off a ferry isn't hard, I do think a jumper is unlikely to reach the screws of a moving vessel. 

He's out there somewhere..

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 30 September, 2017, 11:18:40 am »
I don't think it would be that hard to reach the props. Over the side about 2/3 back, stick close to the hull and stay fairly deep. The props tend to suck in water. Though props aren't quite James Bond killing machines, there are plenty of dolphins, whales and other sea creatures that are scarred or killed by props and they can hear seacraft and can move in the water pretty easily.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2017, 11:45:21 am »
The thing about a moving vessel though, it tends to push the water away from the hull so getting close in would not be that easy.  Dolphins and whales are a different kettle of fish!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2017, 11:50:58 am »
I disagree that a moving vessel pushes water away from the hull, other than near the bow.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12 on: 30 September, 2017, 12:10:24 pm »
Everyone knows Lord Lucan is out there somewhere, riding around on Shergar...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #13 on: 30 September, 2017, 12:25:39 pm »
I don't think it would be that hard to reach the props. Over the side about 2/3 back, stick close to the hull and stay fairly deep. The props tend to suck in water.

Exactly. Anyone who had helmed a power vessel of any size knows this. It is a massive issue; sucks in debris and jams them up in the prop.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 30 September, 2017, 12:34:21 pm »
Everyone knows Lord Lucan is out there somewhere, riding around on Shergar...

And running a chip shop with Elvis.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #15 on: 30 September, 2017, 12:49:37 pm »
I thought he was spotted in a South African bar back in the 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEweP2TiMk
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #16 on: 30 September, 2017, 04:55:31 pm »
I don't think it would be that hard to reach the props. Over the side about 2/3 back, stick close to the hull and stay fairly deep. The props tend to suck in water.

Exactly. Anyone who had helmed a power vessel of any size knows this. It is a massive issue; sucks in debris and jams them up in the prop.

My boating career was over several decades, reaching yachtmaster offshore level.  I can't recall ever getting anything jammed in the prop, personally.  Once I was crew on a Thames Sailing barge where they got a rope round the prop when going astern berthing.  Someone - the mate - had to go overboard to fix it with, ISTR, a breadknife.   I'd not be surprised if some of the gin palaces on the river Ouse suffer from it but mostly they aren't real boats.  For a while I worked in the Harwich Port workshops and cannot remember any ferries suffering from prop damage although there were a couple of enormous beautiful bronze spares lying around.  You only had to tap one and it rang like a church bell.

(I knew this'd get 'em going :demon:)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #17 on: 01 October, 2017, 05:40:08 pm »
It was Lord Lucan, in the cellar, with the lead pipe.

I win!

Hence the need for a plumber...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.