Author Topic: Seatpost diameter Raleigh Randonneur 531  (Read 1564 times)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
Seatpost diameter Raleigh Randonneur 531
« on: 05 October, 2017, 08:34:48 pm »
I'm tempted by a very sad-looking Raleigh Randonneur which has turned up in our local bike recycling project.  Various bits are missing including the seatpost.   Does anyone know, perchance, the correct diameter?  I think the original was an SR with a fluted stem.  Other missing bits include the correct brake levers - someone has fitted much later ones incorporating gearchange, but the shifters are still downtube which I prefer.  So, I'll be trying to replace these with something period - Campag would be nice, or original was Shimano 105.  Pedals also missing.  Again 105 was original, but I prefer a Lyotard or Record quill.  I'll be looking for parts if I can get the bike for a good price.
Advena ego sum in Terra

Re: Sear post diameter Raleigh Randonneur 531
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2017, 08:46:50 pm »
there is a scan of the 1987 catalogue here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jwright/sets/72157624655258334/

IIRC the 531ST tubeset changed slightly through its lifetime but most after a certain date used 26.4mm seat pins.

Later randonneurs used 708 tubing.

In any event they are very nice framesets, so you should go for it without a doubt.

cheers

diapsaon0

« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2017, 08:56:12 pm »
Many thanks.

It looks very sad now and is a tad too big for me - but the size I need 20" - was never made in this model and is rare in any model, so I'll have to lump it.  I've had a 21" in the past.

Hope I can get it for a good price.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2017, 09:47:22 pm »
if it is any consolation, the Raleigh frame geometry was a work of utter madness around that time. IIRC the effective forward reach (from the centreline of the BB shell forwards to the top of the head tube) only varied by 10mm from the ~21" size through to the ~26" size or something like that.

All the 'small' frames had the same steering geometry and they didn't want to sell frames with bad overlap or something; the result is that the small frames all have a long forward reach (TT) and some have stupidly steep seat angles too.  IIRC there is no real difference between a 21-1/2" frame and a 22-1/2" frame in some Raleigh models around that time, apart from the length of the seat tube. The top tube is no shorter on the smaller frame....

cheers

diapsaon0

« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2017, 10:56:20 am »
Sadly, it's fallen through as the manager of the bike project wants to hang on to it for themselves.  So looking for something else.
Advena ego sum in Terra

Re: Seatpost diameter Raleigh Randonneur 531
« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2017, 09:44:03 pm »
Mine (1990, 531ST) has a normal 27.2 pin in it, measured just below the fluting