Author Topic: Comfy handlebar grips, for flat bars  (Read 1999 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Comfy handlebar grips, for flat bars
« on: 07 October, 2017, 02:49:50 pm »
I am getting sore/numb hands on some longer rides, so would like to try some better grips.
Any recommendations for something more comfortable? Maybe some sort of soft padding?

Or looking at the Ergon grips, are they worth it. Or any cheaper copies, from other brands?

I already have bar ends, and would like to keep them.
How well does the Ergon GP1 work with bar ends? Looks like it has the lock on clamp on the outside, does that get in the way of bar ends. Seems it would be easier if the clamp was at the other end of the grips.

Re: Comfy handlebar grips, for flat bars
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2017, 04:17:38 pm »
I am getting sore/numb hands on some longer rides, so would like to try some better grips.
Any recommendations for something more comfortable? Maybe some sort of soft padding?

Or looking at the Ergon grips, are they worth it. Or any cheaper copies, from other brands?

I already have bar ends, and would like to keep them.
How well does the Ergon GP1 work with bar ends? Looks like it has the lock on clamp on the outside, does that get in the way of bar ends. Seems it would be easier if the clamp was at the other end of the grips.

Hi fuaran. How about a pair of these ? I purchased a pair a little while ago and also fitted my own lockable bar-ends in Silver Alloy.
They are from Shenzhen,China,I got them within 3 weeks of ordering them and P&P paid.
The position that you have your grips rotated in relation to how you sit and the position of the rotation of your bars and of course the length of your stem really does make a difference to not only your hands,fingers,thumbs but also to your shoulders.
This is also greatly influenced by the overall width of your bars.
I have reduced the width of mine to 525mm and that allows for my 10spd Campagnolo Veloce Flat-bar Levers.

There are others on E'bay but they are essentially the same but for stupid money.
If the posting of images was easier I would be showing you them fitted to my Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu Carbon Flat-bar Road Hybrid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chic-Lockable-Handle-Handlebar-Grips-For-Bicycle-Handlebar-Set-Cycling-equipme-/282312563432?var=&hash=item41bb23dae8:m:mRlfzPSETqNMIV6Vv-peOZ
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2017, 04:35:46 pm »
Ergon Biokork are my recommendation. I went with the ones with short bar ends. The only criticism I have is that I only find them comfy by holding the bar ends when climbing and I’m standing out if the pedals. Any subsequent gear changes I need to make mean I need to change grip. Not sure that would bother everybody though.

« Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2017, 05:53:21 pm »
I also used ergons with bar ends, which helped a lot as I, too, used to get pins & needles after relatively short rides. Those chinese options are a whole less ££££ though, although visually I would say the ergon has a larger flatter area.

Setting them up is essential, thobut, with no one angle fits all solution.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2017, 08:25:49 pm »
Ergons are brilliant.  If you want bar-ends the best solution is to get the Ergons with the bar-ends integrated.

I've got some cheap imitations of a GP2 on my mountain bike, which cost me all of about 6 quid on eBay and look similar to the ones ACyclingRooster suggests:  The rubber bit is a passable impression of the real thing ergonomically (seems closer to the narrow diameter version), but seems substantially less hard-wearing.  The bar-end is unergonomic metal, but seems admirably sturdy in crashes.  I'm working on the principle that if I wear them out, that means I'm using the bike enough to justify something better.

Thing I learned recently: There's a variant on the GP1 for swept-back bars.  This is important because the usual ones don't work properly on bars that aren't an approximation of straight.

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 07 October, 2017, 08:33:32 pm »
ESI silicone. :thumbsup:  Plain round tubes with no clamps or other bits to get in the way - very comfy and don't lock you into one position.  I like the chunky one, but you can get skinnier or fatter ones if you prefer.

« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2017, 02:56:47 pm »
I had Ergons with long curved barends on my flat bar bike, but still got hand and wrist pain after an hour so, so fitted low rise bars 30mm rise with about 3' of upsweep and 3' back sweep, problem solved , then some scrote stole it !!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2017, 11:21:32 pm »
Ergons are brilliant.  If you want bar-ends the best solution is to get the Ergons with the bar-ends integrated.
Maybe, but rather expensive - £45 for the Ergon GP5. Or £60 for the Biokork version! And seems rather wasteful if you have to replace the whole thing, when the rubber parts wear out.

ESI silicone. :thumbsup:  Plain round tubes with no clamps or other bits to get in the way - very comfy and don't lock you into one position.  I like the chunky one, but you can get skinnier or fatter ones if you prefer.
They look pretty good, and available in orange:D
How easy are they to fit, do they stay in place properly without clamps? Might give them a go.

« Reply #9 on: 09 October, 2017, 12:00:53 am »
Maybe, but rather expensive - £45 for the Ergon GP5. Or £60 for the Biokork version! And seems rather wasteful if you have to replace the whole thing, when the rubber parts wear out.

I like the large GP5 Ergons, I haven't fond anything I find as comfortable.  When the rubber part wears out, replacements are around £20.  The plastic bar ends are also a bit vulnerable if you go sliding down the Tarmac  :facepalm:

« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2017, 06:40:42 am »
Another user of GP1 grips with separate bar ends here. E.g.: https://goo.gl/images/FFT1bF. (Not mine, but similar).

Having said that, I also have ergo-like clones on a different bike and also find those good - at 1/4 of the price: Clicky
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #11 on: 09 October, 2017, 10:09:40 am »
Hi to you all out there.

Is there an option that I am missing that allows for an image to be uploaded from my own PC ?

I have used Photo Bucket in the past but it has had restrictions and totally nonsensical fees applied to it over the last few months.

If there is non available then which is the best and easiest option to use ?
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #12 on: 09 October, 2017, 10:21:06 am »
This thread may help you.

You can only link to online resources to post images on YACF.  I have failed to master the process though it would appear relatively simple given the number of images posted.   mllePB has been successful using tapatalk from her mobile.   I also find tapatalk difficult to use.   :facepalm:

I assume that I'm just technically incompetent.   :D

« Reply #13 on: 09 October, 2017, 10:44:07 am »

You can only link to online resources to post images on YACF.  I have failed to master the process though it would appear relatively simple given the number of images posted.   mllePB has been successful using tapatalk from her mobile.   I also find tapatalk difficult to use.   :facepalm:

Hi Polar Bear. Thank you. I will have a go later but I still need to select an Image Hosting Site since Photo Bucket has become so difficult to use.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14 on: 09 October, 2017, 12:00:05 pm »

Hi Polar Bear. Thank you. I will have a go later but I still need to select an Image Hosting Site since Photo Bucket has become so difficult to use.

the simplest way: install tapatalk (forum app that works with yacf among others) on your phone, use your phone to take photos, upload the photos from your phone - no hosting sites required

Chris N

« Reply #15 on: 09 October, 2017, 12:55:51 pm »
They look pretty good, and available in orange:D
How easy are they to fit, do they stay in place properly without clamps? Might give them a go.

They don't stay orange for very long, unfortunately.  Fairly easy to fit - ESI recommend window cleaner or similar to lubricate - and they stay in place once you've wrestled them on.