Author Topic: Double wrap bar tape - which tape?  (Read 2819 times)

Double wrap bar tape - which tape?
« on: 13 October, 2017, 03:38:26 pm »
I will shortly be embarking on a double wrap of my handlebars, for a bike that will be used for both off-road and long mountainous rides, and sometimes both together. For comfort, particularly on the rough stuff, I've convinced myself that double wrapping will be a better option than using gel tape, and I've found a good instructional resource on You Tube to achieve the double wrap neatly. However, I cannot find anything about what bar tapes to use for the inner and outer wrap.

Does anybody with experience of double wrapping have any recommendations regarding which bar tapes to use? I'm guessing there is a compromise between having the comfort and the wrap being too wide to be comfortable to hold, which is possibly one of the reasons why the instructional video suggests wrapping the inner tape tightly.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Re: Double wrap bar tape - which tape?
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2017, 04:16:03 pm »
I will shortly be embarking on a double wrap of my handlebars, for a bike that will be used for both off-road and long mountainous rides, and sometimes both together. For comfort, particularly on the rough stuff, I've convinced myself that double wrapping will be a better option than using gel tape, and I've found a good instructional resource on You Tube to achieve the double wrap neatly. However, I cannot find anything about what bar tapes to use for the inner and outer wrap.

Does anybody with experience of double wrapping have any recommendations regarding which bar tapes to use? I'm guessing there is a compromise between having the comfort and the wrap being too wide to be comfortable to hold, which is possibly one of the reasons why the instructional video suggests wrapping the inner tape tightly.

Hi psyclist. I have been double wrapping/thickening my dropped bars for many many years and indeed did so way back in the 60's/70's when we used two layers Herringbone Cotton Tape.
I use the Black Cork Tape with the central part being thicker than the two outer edges,I don't pay stupid money for it either and usually go for the P&P Free/Included.
It is all well and good buying branded products like 'Deda' and others but I have never ever had an issue with what I have bought.
After-all they are all made of the same materials and the only real difference is that some have a central line of adhesive with a protective covering that is peeled off as the wrap progresses.

I start by firstly using a tight foam sleeve if taping new bars or using the same foam sleeve but cut up the length and wrapped around the bars and lightly taped in place to hold it in place before applying the tape

I always start at the bar-ends with one full/overlapping turn and leave sufficient to fold into the tube after first petaling the ends to avoid creasing when the bar-end plugs are inserted.

I usually finish the first roll underneath the hoods and then begin again with the second roll - finishing just about 3" away from the stem and finally close the whole wrap with electrical insulating tape ceasing underneath and facing forwards.

An example of which can be found here :---- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302480120812?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2648

Also here :--  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302480985798?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2648

Both are in on E'bay using my ID of the45rooster
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2017, 05:06:51 pm »
I use Fizik gel pads under my tape.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2017, 06:25:37 pm »
Gel pads under tape is a better option, particularly if you have small hands (Trumpitus?). Padding on top of the bar where it is helpful but not much padding under the bar, where it isn't.

Double wrapped tape is overly thick under the bar (giving no shock improvement) but significantly increases the circumference and squishiness. In the days of foam handlebar sleeves, I tried wrapping padded tape over the top once it started to degrade. I got sore hands from gripping the bar tightly enough whenever I pulled on the bars.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2017, 06:59:22 pm »
Thank you for your replies. Gel pads is a new one for me, but that may just do the trick. I've just seen some comments on an online store where people have described the gel pads as heavy, but at 105g I would think the benefits will trump the increase in weight.

Why do the pros have double wrapped tape on the cobbled classics? Presumably it must be a weight thing for them, and tradition.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2017, 07:28:56 pm »
Gel pads weigh very little.

« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2017, 08:26:50 pm »
Gel pads under tape is a better option, particularly if you have small hands (Trumpitus?). Padding on top of the bar where it is helpful but not much padding under the bar, where it isn't.

Double wrapped tape is overly thick under the bar (giving no shock improvement) but significantly increases the circumference and squishiness. In the days of foam handlebar sleeves, I tried wrapping padded tape over the top once it started to degrade. I got sore hands from gripping the bar tightly enough whenever I pulled on the bars.

Hi LW&B. The foam sleeves without something over it to protect them is a NO BRAINER. The extra thickness is what I require quite simply because I have hands like a navies shovels.
The fact that the additional thickness is all around the bars and not just limited to the tops takes the shocks that are transmitted on rough roads away from my thumbs.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #7 on: 13 October, 2017, 08:38:07 pm »
I prefer Marsas foam under a single wrap of tape.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebar-tape-grips/marsas-audax-shock-absorbing-foam-1-set-for-drop-handlebars/

(Available from other retailers.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2017, 09:05:53 pm »
I like having the tape doubled all round the bar; bits of my hands go round the bars as well (like fingers and thumbs). I only double wrap the tops and my technique is to start wrapping at start of the straight part, wrap back towards the centre of the bars before reversing direction and wrapping all the bar from top to bottom (which isn't the tidiest way to do it but it works for me). I use basic Decathlon bar tape, black and fairly thick. The one roll does each side entirely.

I must admit that I have never tried gel pads. I have never really been convinced by gel pads in saddles or gloves but I could yet be persuaded.

« Reply #9 on: 14 October, 2017, 07:49:55 am »
I use two full layers of cork tape, wrapped normally from end to centre, one on top of the other.
I use tape that has a silicone gripper strip on the back, like you find on shorts, armwarmers etc, which means there's no sticky residue if I want to replace just the outer layer, or rewrap with more or less overlap if the length came out wrong during installation.
The tape I've used is either Profile or Bontrager (seems to be the same stuff, including colour patterns).

I double wrap rather than use pads because I prefer the increased bar diameter.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 14 October, 2017, 08:25:09 am »
The shape is as important as the padding - think of Brooks' saddles.  If you put a gel pad in the wrong place on top of the bar you can end up with a ridge that hurts more than no gel at all.  I favour an ellipse section with the long axis tilted up slightly from front to back, such that pressure is distributed across the palm. To achieve this on circular-section bars I tape a bit of old tyre on the trailing side and extend the front with a bit of aquarium tubing, then wrap [el cheapo] Bike Ribbon cork gel tape over the lot. It works.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #11 on: 14 October, 2017, 12:54:29 pm »
I'm glad I asked the question, as there seems to be multiple ways to skin this cat.

My new bars are slightly flared, to aid staying on the drops over rough stuff, therefore additional padding is needed there as much as on top. I guess I might be better to do a bit of trial an error, in which case the use of foam or double wrapping might be a cheaper try, and then switch to gel pads if the trial doesn't work out successfully.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #12 on: 14 October, 2017, 03:08:05 pm »
My Genesis has Fizik gel pads top & bottom with double wrap of tape. Bottom tape is the original Genesis tape (which was quite padded), top tape is Fizik tape.
J.Ack has Cinelli gel pad on drops only and single wrap of Fizik tape.
Fixed has Lizard Skins DSP 3.2mm which is quite good.

I keep meaning to put a double wrap on J.Ack, but haven't got round to it yet.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #13 on: 15 October, 2017, 01:11:10 pm »
I prefer Marsas foam under a single wrap of tape.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebar-tape-grips/marsas-audax-shock-absorbing-foam-1-set-for-drop-handlebars/

(Available from other retailers.)
That looks very much like Plastazote low density closed cell foam (Similar stuff to that which Karrimats are made of)- which is what I've been putting (8mm thick) under my bar tape for years.
SJS's price would probably pay for a m2 from Pentonville Rubber.
That's plenty, for lots of 'bars.