Author Topic: Anyone got an Olympus E410 or similar 4/3 cameras  (Read 2118 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Anyone got an Olympus E410 or similar 4/3 cameras
« on: 26 October, 2017, 05:04:47 pm »
What is your impression of them.  Is £50 worth it?

Re: Anyone got an Olympus E410 or similar 4/3 cameras
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2017, 06:02:33 pm »
I'm a long term Oly 4/3 user, and have had E510, 520, 620. (Full declaration: I used to get given them by Olympus) Now M10.

The E410 is a serviceable camera and uses Olympus glass which means it is capable of really good results. Compared to modern cameras it is likely to feel slow and its low light performance will be suspect. Up against an equivalent Canikon, you would likely see not too much difference, IMO the degradation in low light performance is more than made up by its better performance in general use with lack of fringing etc. Also, again IMO, the Olympus "access all areas" menu system makes it much more versatile than the competition (if you can see it, you can change it).

Would it be worth £50? Hard to say, depends what you expect for your money and what else is available.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2017, 07:52:51 pm »
The 4/3 system has been largely discontinued for a few years, so it may be getting harder to find any lenses.

Micro 4/3 (mirrorless) would give you a lot more options. Plus you can get cheap adapters to use other SLR lenses on Micro 4/3.

« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2017, 07:59:21 pm »
I have an E500 I have had for years since it was new. Lovely camera with nice glass.
Only 8mp but the pictures are great. Only bad thing is no image stabilisation, I think they brought that in with 510.
Quite a simple camera compared to modern ones and thats not necessarily a bad thing.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2017, 09:49:16 pm »
Oh yeah, I had a 500 as well. That was my first, and the only one I paid my own money for.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 27 October, 2017, 11:20:56 am »
Oh yeah, I had a 500 as well. That was my first, and the only one I paid my own money for.

Was it worth it ;)

Am quite lost at the mo, as I keep coming up with ideas that are shot down.  So far, after much discussion and searching, she bought a canon sx620 hs.  Even tho we decided that Canon's were out because of how the last two died.  So much for getting advice. 

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #6 on: 02 December, 2017, 08:49:45 am »
It is now available for £30....