Author Topic: My work is done  (Read 1708 times)

My work is done
« on: 25 November, 2017, 03:49:08 pm »
Eighteen months ago Mrs hatler was heard to say "You'll never get me on a road bike."

Then she did the London to Brighton (on a slicked up hardtail Orange MTB).
This progressed to regular runs out with her new cycling buddies.
Then her L2B friends slowly succumbed to the allure of drop handlebars.
Mrs h finally took the plunge and a bit over a year ago we found a Spesh Dolce Elite on eBay.
Distances and ride frequency both went steadily up.
Little Miss hatler outgrew her road bike so this was replaced with a carbon Bianchi.
Mrs hatler complains that she now has the crappiest road bike in the house.
Another eBay purchase and Mrs h now has a carbon Trek Madone.

And finally, this morning, she complained that the lights she uses are too heavy !

We have a fully fledged convert.

Rust never sleeps

Re: My work is done
« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2017, 04:04:14 pm »
No, your work is not done. It is never done.

Five years ago, my other half also swore she'd never ride a road bike, never wear lycra, never use clipless pedals. She had a no-name hybrid for town riding. That was all.

Then in a case of 'if you can't beat, join 'em', she bought an aluminium Bianchi. Then she rode a sportive, then we went touring together.
Now she has 5 bikes, her best road bike is better than mine, wears lycra, some of it is from Rapha. We go out regularly with the local club and go touring.

However, I still have work to do. She still won't go on a taster session at a velodrome or ride an Audax.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 25 November, 2017, 09:28:06 pm »
Mrs Vorsprung has a Dawes Super Galaxy

But she took up running last year and it has been festering in the garage ever since

« Reply #3 on: 27 November, 2017, 01:03:04 pm »
Mrs trekker has a new Genesis Datum. I bought it last month for her birthday and she is delighted with it. When we met in 2011 she only had a BSO, she now has three bikes, commutes by bike, has toured across the Alps (see ride reports) and is the proud owner of the only carbon fibre bike in the shed!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2017, 04:21:51 pm »
Your efforts at getting your other half on proper bikes are all excellent but you really have to enthuse the next generation as well.
To that end both my (grown up) children  ride bikes.

Daughter has returned to cycling after giving up in her teens and has done that there London ride and even commutes from Battersea into central London when she can.
Her fiance has also taken up two wheels , having been bitten by the bug when the TDF came to Yorkshire. He is now a 2x finisher of the Ride London 100.

Son has cycled ever since he could balance on a bike (has done 3 Peaks CX , 200k audax, multiple tours)  and is now indoctrinating his current GF , who comes from a non-cycling family.
She has a reasonable bike, but it was bought for getting fit for triathlons.
They are now doing proper road rides and may even be looking at touring in the future.

In our house it was Mrs. M who was the cyclist, whereas I was into long distance walking.
After 2 PBPs and LEL , she is starting to regret ever getting me on a bike.