Author Topic: Removing ear wax  (Read 6809 times)

Removing ear wax
« on: 06 December, 2017, 10:31:34 am »
Any tips on how to keep ears clear of wax build up?  Olive oil is supposed to work but while it softens it does not remove.  This is an issue for a wearer of in-ear hearing aid moulds.  Wax build up not only blocks the canal but also prevents the mould from sitting fully in the ear causing chafing and pain (and feedback!).

Bicarb is mentioned in other places.

Any thoughts good people.

Thanks

Ben T

Re: Removing ear wax
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:41:46 am »
Book a syringing at the GP, you will need to soften it in the week before with oil.... not sure if you can avoid having to go back for a second appointment by telling them you know to do that, rather than have one appointment for them to simply tell you to loosen it with oil and them come back for a second one where they actually do it.
Sometimes it's the nurse that does it rather than the doctor themselves.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:48:34 am »
I am too sensible to tell you the best way:
(click to show/hide)

I think I had a nurse deal with mine once, and she insisted they only use the syringes if there is a serious medical need. She  then applied warm olive-oil, to very little effect  ::-)   It's probably a post-code lottery thing.

Fortunately it's been years since I've needed to bother. pardon?? I wish young people would speak more clearly.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:50:26 am »
Seems to be another area the Government is trying to privatise. Private ear wax removal offers are springing up around here.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:57:25 am »
Syringing is not practical due to the timescales, it would need to be done fortnightly, certainly more often that once a month, and by the time an appointment is made the ear is sore and deaf (well, more deaf).

We did, in an emergency, buy some ear drops in France that worked which may well have been Benzoyl Peroxide but they are now out of date.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2017, 12:19:20 pm »
Wax dissolves in glycerol and glycerol in water.  That seems to be the winning strategy, though I've never had to make use of it myself (I've only ever had my ears syringed due to infectious discharge and an embarrassing[1] foreign body incident as a toddler).  Bear in mind that you should never stick anything smaller than an audiologist in your ear canal.

Earmoulds are teh ming though.  I'd rather have a hole in my head.

[1] For my parents, who thought that trying to flush a seed out with water was a good idea.

Ben T

« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:38:04 pm »
Not recommended, but: I once did get water stuck in my ear after going swimming and I used the vacuum cleaner (with pipe tool attachment) to remove it, it was very successful, put a tea towel in between the end of the tool and my ear.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:42:33 pm »
[OT] Audax ear drops used to be packaged in a red and white box...

I don't think they are available any more...

« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:45:52 pm »
A friend who is an antiques dealer insisted that the tiny, silver, delicately shaped spoon or shovel shaped object was in fact for removing ear-wax.

« Reply #9 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:47:50 pm »
[OT] Audax ear drops used to be packaged in a red and white box...

http://www.greenbank.org/misc/audax.jpg
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #10 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:50:53 pm »
Otex ear drops have always worked for me.  They use Urea Hydrogen Peroxide and fizz in your ear.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11 on: 06 December, 2017, 02:33:22 pm »
I use cotton buds even though you're not supposed to. Kirby grips loopy end is quite good too, gets the wax out good and proper. (This is not medically advised thobut)

It might be worth the hearing aid user consulting their audiology dept for advice. It might be their mould can be made "less deep" and they can be given sensible maintenance advice which doesn't involve syringing all the time. There may be prescription eardrops which aren't normally available.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #12 on: 06 December, 2017, 02:36:41 pm »
had something from the doc  once, ear  drops, and it softened the wax,  then dried it out so it shrunk, then it came loose, and eventually fell out. Can't tell you was it was tho.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 06 December, 2017, 03:15:06 pm »
(click to show/hide)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #14 on: 06 December, 2017, 03:23:29 pm »
Another vote for Otex. I have resorted to making my own from the contents of the oxidiser cabinet once, I wouldn't recommend it - if it sets fire to paper when you spill it, it's too strong for putting in your ears.

« Reply #15 on: 06 December, 2017, 03:42:24 pm »
It might be their mould can be made "less deep"

We went extra deep to prevent 'leakage' as the gain is up very high.  Previously my daughter and I were listening to music escaping from the aids but Mrs R could not make out the tune.  The 'new' deeper moulds have fixed that but brought their own issues.

Will look up Otex, thanks.

T42 - shame on you.

« Reply #16 on: 06 December, 2017, 03:48:11 pm »
"Will look up Otex, thanks."

Except from Otex website:

"Can Otex be used with a hearing aid?

If you are using a hearing aid then you should not use Otex. It is advisable to seek expert medicinal advice if you have a history of any other ear problems."

« Reply #17 on: 06 December, 2017, 04:03:58 pm »
Any tips on how to keep ears clear of wax build up?  Olive oil is supposed to work but while it softens it does not remove.  This is an issue for a wearer of in-ear hearing aid moulds.  Wax build up not only blocks the canal but also prevents the mould from sitting fully in the ear causing chafing and pain (and feedback!).

Bicarb is mentioned in other places.

Any thoughts good people.

Thanks

I have a perennial problem with ear wax and I use a baby suction bulb to blast them out using hot water. It works for me.  :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 06 December, 2017, 04:09:04 pm »
I really don't know about these things but my guess is that some ingredient(s) in Otex might attack plastics (like the dreaded DEET insect repellant).

If you can remove/wash away every trace of Otex before using the hearing aid, you might be OK.

I think you have a case for mechanical wax removal by a medical professional.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19 on: 06 December, 2017, 07:07:02 pm »
As per Barakta's point, upthread, a Kirkby Grip, although, despite having been employing these things all my life, I have never before heard of that expression.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #20 on: 06 December, 2017, 07:12:36 pm »
Bobby pins (although I think I first heard that from a USAian).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 06 December, 2017, 07:20:32 pm »
Bobby pins (although I think I first heard that from a USAian).

Device for shorting out the speed control on the XR-2300 lunar shuttle.  Only women have them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:11:06 pm »
The problem with putting oil or other things into your ear to clear wax is you lessen the chance of that amazing feeling when you hold on your fingertips an enourmous piece of wax and think “chuff neck, that came out of my ear!!!”
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #23 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:23:33 pm »
I think I had a nurse deal with mine once, and she insisted they only use the syringes if there is a serious medical need. She  then applied warm olive-oil, to very little effect  ::-)   It's probably a post-code lottery thing.
I've had mine syringed at the surgery every five to ten years for decades. It is normally the practice nurse who does the job. I do have to soften the wax first, but just doing that would certainly not clear it.

« Reply #24 on: 07 December, 2017, 09:59:20 am »
I'm a long term sufferer. I go to the practice nurse about once a year to have them syringed, but they won't do that if they can see through to the ear drum with their ear gizmo.

I have found that regular use of drops helps. Otex, which contains Urea Hydrogen Peroxide is the most convenient and is better for me than Olive Oil.  I add one or two, no more, drops when lying on my side in bed before getting up, once or twice a week in the most affected ear.

The problem is getting the wax out, the ear seems to be badly designed for this.  I go against the dire warnings against self syringing.  I use a 20ml syringe with warm water in the shower, 3 or four squooshes about once a month.  It's not possible to raise too much water pressure with only 20ml so I reckon it's safe.  The pressure felt during Nurse syringeing is much greater.

Top Tip #1  Buy Otex from Ebay