Author Topic: Forgotten sitcoms  (Read 11820 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Forgotten sitcoms
« on: 30 January, 2018, 11:29:33 pm »
Who remembers Packet of Three? Early 90s Channel 4 sitcom set in a theatre, starring Frank Skinner and Jenni Eclair. I was discussing Frank Skinner with my wife earlier and she doesn't remember it, but it's the first thing I remember seeing him in on TV (it predates Fantasy Football). I think I saw him doing stand-up in the early 90s as well. It seems to have fallen off the radar of popular culture - barely even merits a skeleton article on Wikipedia.

Going back a few years before that, another sitcom I quite liked was Brush Strokes, which came to mind because of the death last week of Howard Lew Lewis who played Elmo, the slow-witted barman. I suspect it was actually rubbish. Reading about it the other day, I was surprised to discover it was created by Esmonde & Larbey, better known for The Good Life, but also the superb Ever Decreasing Circles, which was on TV around the same time as Brush Strokes. Hard to believe two so totally different series came from the same creators. Ever Decreasing Circles was repeated a little while ago on one of the digital channels and although it looks a bit dated, still stands out for the exquisite performances of Richard Briers and Penelope Wilton.

This got me thinking about other sitcoms that have been lost in the mists of time. Who remembers Paris? It starred Alexei Sayle as an artist in Paris in the 1920s. I loved it but it only lasted one series and has never been repeated as far as I know. A couple of years later, the same writing partnership came up with another sitcom - it was about a priest in rural Ireland, of all things. Highly unlikely but since I liked Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews' previous work, I thought I'd give it a go. Turned out to be quite good.

How about Nightingales? Yet another early 90s sitcom, this time about three night security guards. Totally off the wall but utterly brilliant and very, very funny. Starred Robert Lindsay, David Threlfall and James Ellis.

Going back to the 80s, one of my favourites was Chance In A Million - starring a young Simon Callow as Tom Chance, a man whose life is a series of increasingly unlikely coincidences, and Brenda Blethyn as his girlfriend. Deserved a much wider audience than it had but probably suffered through being on Channel 4 which was still in its infancy at the time.

Another favourite was Watching, starring Emma Wray and Paul Bown as a mismatched couple - she was a gobby Scouser, he was an introverted birdwatcher. Astutely observed and very funny.

Going back even further, who remembers The Happy Apple? First major TV role for Leslie Ash (though she'd already been in Quadrophenia by then). All I really remember about that is that she played Nancy, who was a secretary in an advertising agency, which sticks in my mind because those were the words of the theme tune, set to Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. I've never seen it repeated.

And even further back than that, I have memories of a sitcom called Rosie, about a young idealistic but naive policeman, but I must have been very young when that was on so I don't know why it made an impression on me. Anyone remember that?

Another one that I've just remembered: Is It Legal? - set in a solicitors' office in Hounslow and written by Simon Nye, who had previously made Men Behaving Badly. I always thought Is It Legal? was the far superior of the two but it never seemed to make the same impression on the world at large.

Talking of Men Behaving Badly, there was a sitcom in the 80s called No Place Like Home - about a couple who are looking forward to a quiet retirement until their grown up children (who included a very young Martin Clunes) all return to the nest. Although I was young at the time, I could appreciate that it was pretty awful, and the thing I mostly remember about it is that it used the same house that Terry and June once occupied - at least, I'm fairly sure it did, though I can't find any evidence to support this online.

Anyone else have any favourite lost sitcoms?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: Forgotten sitcoms
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2018, 11:36:43 pm »
I remember five of those!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2018, 11:40:57 pm »
Before I google this one, I'll describe it. It might not even have been a sitcom. Aired on Channel 4 and set in a Soho chop shop, it featured two men, one of which was gay. Umm, that's it. Very right on and a bit earnest IIRC.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2018, 11:50:54 pm »
I didn't know you cared

https://youtu.be/37Apscp3hsM

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2018, 11:53:24 pm »
Nearest and Dearest

citoyen

« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2018, 12:00:03 am »
I didn't know you cared

https://youtu.be/37Apscp3hsM

Blimey, is that a very young Stephen Rea?

Never heard of that one - it's from before my time though. The humour seems a tad old-fashioned but it could be a lot worse!

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2018, 12:06:58 am »
Before I google this one, I'll describe it. It might not even have been a sitcom. Aired on Channel 4 and set in a Soho chop shop, it featured two men, one of which was gay. Umm, that's it. Very right on and a bit earnest IIRC.

Not a clue!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2018, 01:12:27 am »

Not a clue!
Got it.  The Corner House from 1987 with Christopher Eynard  (who he?) and Robert Llewelyn.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2018, 07:49:03 am »
I remember "Rosie", vaguely.  Mostly the awful theme song.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2018, 07:57:33 am »
Chance in a million was great. Not least because Tom Chance would drink pints of lager in a oney at every opportunity.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2018, 08:33:13 am »
The Thin Blue Line
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2018, 08:36:58 am »
How Do You Want Me - another Simon Nye one that was better than Men Behaving Badly.

Dylan Moran plays... Dylan Moran, opposite Charlotte Coleman when they move to her home village and he takes up photography. It was lovely and sweet and sour and no one else remembers it. Peter Serafinowitz was in it too.

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2018, 10:28:46 am »
Chance in a million was great. Not least because Tom Chance would drink pints of lager in a oney at every opportunity.

I was very disappointed to learn they used a trick glass for that.

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2018, 10:30:28 am »
How Do You Want Me - another Simon Nye one that was better than Men Behaving Badly.

Yes, I vaguely remember that. Unless I’m thinking of pretty much anything else with Dylan Moran in it.

hillbilly

« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2018, 10:31:03 am »
BBC3 had quite a few. 

"Pulling" and "How not to live your life" spring to mind.  Very enjoyable and remembered only by those with great taste.

I suppose it was the nature of the channel that it set up and nurtured cheap emerging talent.  But when they got so far they would move on and their shows would fizzle out (or transfer to BBC1 or BBC2 if the shows were sufficiently popular, e.g. Mighty Boosh).

« Reply #15 on: 31 January, 2018, 10:38:07 am »
Grownups

A Sheridan Smith vehicle but Naomi Bentley had the best part as her bonkers boss Rachel.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #16 on: 31 January, 2018, 10:47:27 am »

« Reply #17 on: 31 January, 2018, 10:50:26 am »
Who remembers Packet of Three? Early 90s Channel 4 sitcom set in a theatre, starring Frank Skinner and Jenni Eclair. I was discussing Frank Skinner with my wife earlier and she doesn't remember it, but it's the first thing I remember seeing him in on TV (it predates Fantasy Football). I think I saw him doing stand-up in the early 90s as well. It seems to have fallen off the radar of popular culture - barely even merits a skeleton article on Wikipedia.
The only I knew of this was this very early appearance of an earnest Dave Gorman.

« Reply #18 on: 31 January, 2018, 11:02:57 am »
The River

David Essex as a lock keeper. This one was made in the early 80s I think. I really cant remember if it was even funny at the time or not. Don't think they have ever bothered repeating it so probably not.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #19 on: 31 January, 2018, 11:07:30 am »
I remember Brush Strokes, Watching and Rosie (didn't watch that one though) but not the others.

What about Desmonds?
Pen Pusher

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #20 on: 31 January, 2018, 11:07:41 am »

I was very disappointed to learn they used a trick glass for that.

>:( >:(
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21 on: 31 January, 2018, 11:27:41 am »
The Liver Birds. 
And I seem to remember enjoying Butterflies
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22 on: 31 January, 2018, 11:32:38 am »
The Liver Birds. 
How does The Liver Birds qualify for "forgotten"? Surely it's ingrained into the very wossname. Our Lucian. Me rabbits.

« Reply #23 on: 31 January, 2018, 12:05:50 pm »
The Liver Birds. 

Both of those are classics not forgotten. If your over a certain age and there is a lot of car shuffling going on on someone's drive its "like Butterflies".

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #24 on: 31 January, 2018, 12:12:53 pm »
The Liver Birds. 
How does The Liver Birds qualify for "forgotten"? Surely it's ingrained into the very wossname. Our Lucian. Me rabbits.

Our Lucian was in Bread, wasn't he?
Jennifer - Walker of hills