Author Topic: left hand axle nut thread on S-A aw3  (Read 1928 times)

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
left hand axle nut thread on S-A aw3
« on: 11 February, 2018, 07:23:13 pm »
Does anyone know the thread diameter and pitch of the aforementioned nut?? Here in France parts are somewhat difficult to come by....Thanks in advance

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: left hand axle nut thread on S-A aw3
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2018, 07:40:10 pm »
Unique to SA, though very similar to F&S.
13/32" and 26TPI
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2018, 09:09:24 pm »
Yup SA are 13/32" x 26tpi as LWaB says.

Some F&S (SRAM) are 10.5mm x 26tpi and some are 10.5mm x 1.0mm. Both are a slack (i.e poor) fit on an SA axle.

Lots of vendors in the UK and Holland  (where SA hubs have been popular for a very long time) will ship to France I think.

cheers

guidon

« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2018, 09:12:23 pm »
Many thanks both, I will peruse my stock of taps but I shall probably have to order....

« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2018, 09:41:36 pm »
SA axles are hard; hard enough to chase threads certainly and hard enough that you can make an ersatz tap from a scrap axle, good enough for a few uses on steel that isn't too hard.

[BTW I think the idea of hard axles is that the nuts (which are soft) are sacrificial and will fail through wear or overtightening without damaging the axle.]

cheers

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2018, 10:27:06 pm »
Is this still true on the modern hubs?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 11 February, 2018, 10:48:02 pm »
What still true? The threading or the axle hardness?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2018, 10:50:44 pm »
Is this still true on the modern hubs?

hardness wise yes, it is meant to be, but I have seen a few Taiwanese-made  axles that were perhaps not manufactured correctly in this respect.

cheers

« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2018, 06:02:41 pm »
The bandits of Bridgewater will almost certainly have them. There is a dutch site that I have used for Shimano IGH bits that might have them as well. Both tend to be pricey on carriage, SJS might be a better bet these days on small parcels. I currently have a rh nut on the lh of my AW3 due to thread failure. Be careful with the drop-out lock washers, I am sure that a part of my failure was due to a bit of movement which made the lh side nut work a bit harder than necessary

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2018, 06:15:37 pm »
Yup SA are 13/32" x 26tpi as LWaB says.

Some F&S (SRAM) are 10.5mm x 26tpi and some are 10.5mm x 1.0mm. Both are a slack (i.e poor) fit on an SA axle.

Lots of vendors in the UK and Holland  (where SA hubs have been popular for a very long time) will ship to France I think.

cheers
Sachs also used the cheekily-named FG9,5 thread on the Duomatic R2110; this is exactly the same as your bog-standard 3/8" cycle thread as used on millions of BMX bikes and cheap singlespeeds, but they couldn't bring themselves to use inches.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 12 February, 2018, 07:20:42 pm »
further googling dutchbikebits do not have SA wheel nuts although they do have a variety of other bits.

These people do claim to have the bit

https://trainers4me.com/Other-Sturmey-Archer-3-Speed/11/200/386/e13'57267g17Sturmey%20Archer%203%20Speed'e16'3/185/

although I am never very willing to trust this sort of site.
E-bay also has people offering SA wheel nuts.

I probably won't be needing mine for several months if you get stuck - but you'll have to come up and get it (and warn me beforehand, I'll be in and out of the CHU).

« Reply #11 on: 12 February, 2018, 07:38:02 pm »
13/32" and 26TPI

I don't have thread tables to hand but is that not a standard cycle thread pitch in 13/32" diameter?

« Reply #12 on: 12 February, 2018, 08:18:24 pm »
13/32" and 26TPI

I don't have thread tables to hand but is that not a standard cycle thread pitch in 13/32" diameter?

yes it is a standard BSC pitch, but that diameter is pretty much exclusive to SA hubs.

cheers

« Reply #13 on: 23 February, 2018, 02:38:30 pm »
it has just come to my attention that there is a company called 'polymark' (based in Aubergenville) that do (or at least did) Sturmey Archer spare parts. Might be worth getting in touch with them.

cheers

guidon

« Reply #14 on: 26 February, 2018, 09:26:10 pm »
Thanks for all the info - Mzjo I'll give you a bell before coming up - good luck with the physio...;