Author Topic: Long Itch 2018: Friday 11th to Monday 14th May  (Read 19408 times)

Re: Long Itch 2018: Friday 11th to Monday 14th May
« Reply #25 on: 31 March, 2018, 08:44:50 pm »
Only for those who have not drink taken . . .

Don't drink and ride. You'll spill it!

I reckon my bar-ista would hold a pint glass. Assuming I'm not using it for tea. Which I am so get your own    :P
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #26 on: 04 April, 2018, 09:44:54 am »
is there any sort of itinery for this,  Green man? is that a pub? whats the nearest rail  station? are folks driving, train?  toilets? showers? riding sat? riding Sun?Usual arrangements? I've not been before,  so wouuld like a littlemore info,  local shops?  pub food?  :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #27 on: 04 April, 2018, 10:24:02 am »
is there any sort of itinery for this,  Green man? is that a pub? whats the nearest rail  station? are folks driving, train?  toilets? showers? riding sat? riding Sun?Usual arrangements? I've not been before,  so wouuld like a littlemore info,  local shops?  pub food?  :thumbsup:

Sorry, Blodders, it might seem a bit insular - but it's not meant to be. PB endeavours to make it as inclusive as possible.

Green Man. 'The Green Man Inn', Long Itchington, CV47 9PW.
Roughly equidistant from Leamington Spa & Rugby for rail access.
Camping £5 per night. Turn up when you want, go when you want.
Caravans & motorhomes welcome. PB has rates.
'Dirty' weekend - no showers. Loos left open overnight  for camper access.
Friday PM. Arrive, pitch, meet & greet (avoid eye contact at all costs, mumble name to anyone you've not met before). Free form. Beer, chish'n'fip van, beer. Snoring - quadrophonic.
Saturday ride, usually 4/5 hours in total. Very leisurely, includes lunch stop.
Saturday evening. Communal veggie meal by self & willing sous chef(s). No one dedded - ever! Followed by interment pub evening. Chat, ales, skill share TBA.
Midnight bacon sandwiches!
Co-Op local. <100m
Sunday AM, short ride (2 miles?) to Long Itch Diner for breakfast.

Communal area for cooking, chatting, brewing up, sheltering from rain/wind/hail/incessant sunshine.

Have I missed anything?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 04 April, 2018, 10:29:00 am »
Sadly not, I will be in France that weekend.  I'll raise a glass of something pleasant in your general direction.  :thumbsup:
You'll be missed, as will your teepee, unless the Clarifly A-frame turns up instead.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #29 on: 04 April, 2018, 11:01:36 am »

As Tors says, it's really just a roll up and do as much or as little as you wish.

We usually have exclusive use of the back room at the pub and the consumption of chish 'n fips from the van in the pub is positively encouraged.  The van usually arrives around 8p.m. so be prepared!

The nearest railway station is Leamington Spa (7 miles?) followed by Rugby (13 miles).  Folk have to the best of my knowledge ridden from Birmingham and Coventry, or even toured all the way from their home base!  Many folk drive for convenience though cars are not to be parked on the camping field other than for loading and unloading.  We can also accommodate camper vans and caravans but beware that there are no hookups etc. for those who like their 'home from home'.

The Saturday ride is a gentle ride of approximately 30 to 40 miles with plenty of stops and a lunch stop.   It departs at 10:00a.m. Well, it would do if folk could get their arses into gear but then it is a leisurely weekend so why be so absolutely bloody formal?

A dedicated posse of gourmets make arduous trek to The Long Itch Diner for their breakfasts on Saturday and / or Sunday.  It is about a mile away from the site.

I collect site fees in person, usually on Saturday evening but often I have to grad a fiver from somebody departing having spent Friday in our august company and screaming to escape!

Field is accessible from Friday until Monday.

Essentials are a mug*, earplugs, tent, bag, mat, and some money.  All else is entirely optional. 

Coop is a five minute walk and can sustain you indefinitely.  It also has a cashpoint.

There are five other pubs and one other campsite in Long Itchington so if you find that you cannot bear our company ...   ;)

*  Accepting hot water laced with tea or coffee on the go is almost mandatory.

« Reply #30 on: 04 April, 2018, 11:03:54 am »
I am contemplating riding to Canons Ashby again this year as we haven't been for a while.  Plenty of fabulous country lanes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 04 April, 2018, 01:16:36 pm »
Have I missed anything?

That the lack of showers is made doubly irksome by the ice-cold water in the loos and washing-up sink[1].
 This is all apparently compensated for by the hot and cold running BEER.

Oh, and due to the stochastic vagaries of roaming chip vans and half the residents of Long Itchington coming out of the woodwork to join the queueueueue your fish'n'chips will be at least an hour later than you expect it to be.  If you have medical reasons for eating being time-critical, plan on a pre-dinner snack.

If the distance from the railway is an issue (eg. because smalls), do post on the thread, someone with a car may be able to do YACF taxi duty.

[1] If it's working.  Last time it was full of compost.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #32 on: 04 April, 2018, 06:28:28 pm »
thanks awfully, any sunday ride?

« Reply #33 on: 04 April, 2018, 06:50:49 pm »
You could organise one.  Most folk tend to head home on Sunday.

« Reply #34 on: 04 April, 2018, 06:58:38 pm »
Me and Apollo would be up for a Sunday ride after deep mill breakfast   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #35 on: 07 April, 2018, 12:38:37 pm »
If arriving at Royal Leamington Spa station, one route is this one: https://goo.gl/maps/1fGZgW8fr5s (yes, I know it's on the walking setting - it wouldn't let me reroute using the cycling setting!). The hill straight after leaving the canal at Offchurch is a bit brutal, but better than the alternatives...

...Unless it dries out very considerably in the next month, do not a) continue along the canal towpath further than the map. (even if it's dry, it may well still be very rutted after the wet weather we've had of late); b) use the Greenway, it's a quagmire in the summer!

The ride down into the village is really rather nice, especially if no vehicles come the other way.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 07 April, 2018, 12:58:31 pm »
If arriving at Royal Leamington Spa station, one route is this one: https://goo.gl/maps/1fGZgW8fr5s

A less-faffing-about variation is to just stay on the Radford Road for another half a km and turn onto Offchurch Lane at Radford Smelly.  Radford Road isn't pleasant, but the first bit of Offchurch Lane does give you a bit of momentum to carry into the Bastard Hill.

Absolutely agreed about the rest of this route, though.  It's the nicest way to approach Long Itchington.

« Reply #37 on: 07 April, 2018, 04:39:08 pm »
Sorry, this was the route I had in mind: https://goo.gl/maps/d62an5HuFXR2 The canal is easily accessed opposite the station exit and a ramp a few metres up Tachbrook Road. The surface is OK until the outskirts of Leamington, when it might start to get a bit muddy.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #38 on: 08 April, 2018, 07:27:13 pm »
When do you need a definite yes? At the moment there is a strong possibility I can make it but will not be able to fully confirm until nearer the date.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #39 on: 08 April, 2018, 07:30:22 pm »
Will be great to have you along. There's plenty of camping space, the pub won't run out of beer and Saturday evening cook out ingredients are bought when I know how many want feeding.

Come Friday. Or Saturday. Or the whole weekend. It's up to you...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #40 on: 08 April, 2018, 07:39:15 pm »
I would like to make the whole weekend.  :thumbsup:
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #41 on: 08 April, 2018, 08:07:40 pm »
I would like to make the whole weekend.  :thumbsup:
That would be fab  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #42 on: 08 April, 2018, 08:21:35 pm »
If you can make it just turn up.  Will be good to see you again.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #43 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:03:38 pm »
Regarding the route from stations various, Pancho won the prize for that one, by hitching a lift on a passing narrow boat.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #44 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:06:43 pm »
Absolutely he did.   8)

Fond memories tinged with sadness.   :(

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #45 on: 08 April, 2018, 10:06:33 pm »
why the sadness,  ???

« Reply #46 on: 08 April, 2018, 10:07:29 pm »
Pancho has since passed away.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #47 on: 08 April, 2018, 10:11:41 pm »
oh, I had absolutely no idea. Oh dear, I feel sad now. Sorry for asking. :facepalm:

« Reply #48 on: 20 April, 2018, 07:46:26 pm »
BUMP.

C'mon guys - for those of you yet to commit, let's have you along please.  Don't forget your camera phones and conviviality.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #49 on: 21 April, 2018, 08:41:23 am »
I've just been informed by Mrs Wunja that she is off on a Brownie holiday that week-end, so I'm at a loose end. I know there is a bike in the garage somewhere...
216km from Marsh Gibbon