Author Topic: iPhone battery replacement...  (Read 1191 times)

iPhone battery replacement...
« on: 08 May, 2018, 01:25:18 pm »
Daughter's 5S phone battery is failing.  What's the best way to fit or have fitted, a new battery?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

sib

Re: iPhone battery replacement...
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2018, 01:35:39 pm »
I used apple's repair service when my ipad air battery failed.
It cost £90 and I received a replacement ipad - don't whether it was NOS or a refurbished one but you don't get your own back - but tbh it is pristine (as mine was).
There's a similar service for phones.

There are unofficial repairers who can change just the battery and are probably cheaper but how to tell the good from the bad - YMMV

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2018, 01:44:48 pm »
I think there is now an official cap on the price from an Apple Store, I think maybe £30.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2018, 02:59:43 pm »
Thanks.  had a look @...  https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/battery-power

Unfortunately the out of warranty £25 charge is for SE, 6 and above; 5S has fallen off the apple 'list of any interest' and is £79.  I wonder what DIY options are like?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2018, 03:10:04 pm »
Thanks.  had a look @...  https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/battery-power

Unfortunately the out of warranty £25 charge is for SE, 6 and above; 5S has fallen off the apple 'list of any interest' and is £79.  I wonder what DIY options are like?

The Dry Cleaner cum Phone repair shop in Wantage did a battery change for about £25. I've used them a few times and been happy with them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2018, 03:29:59 pm »
I wonder what DIY options are like?

As the owner of an ageing 5S, I've looked into this myself. As far as I can tell, the main difficulty in replacing the battery yourself is getting the old one out, since it is glued in quite firmly. I've read numerous stories of people setting fire to their phones by accidentally piercing the old battery while trying to lever it out. This is especially a problem with old batteries that apparently get quite soft.

There's also the problem of lots of fiddly wires to disconnect and tiny screws to remove, then put them all back together. There's one particular screw that is shorter than the rest and apparently if you put the wrong (ie too long) screw back in that hole, it can cause damage to some delicate components.

Basically, it's not a job you should undertake lightly. I've replaced screens on various phones over the years but replacing the battery in a 5S is a job that makes me nervous. There are numerous YouTube guides out there if you want to give it a go though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2018, 05:17:24 pm »
Thanks P & c.  DIY does sound like quite a mission*.  Will look at wantage shop option (Thames Valet & MOBI, I think).  There's a company called wefix that have roving vans and one can book a slot - still £60 though. 

edit *Had a look at this kit & reviews...  https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGA-Fixxoo-Lithium-Ion-Instructions-Installation/dp/B01GJRYUG2  Someone managed to brick their phone.  Batteries sound poor.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2018, 05:36:18 pm »
Yes that’s the place. If I remember next time I’m in town I’ll see if I can get a price

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2018, 05:41:25 pm »
Yes that’s the place. If I remember next time I’m in town I’ll see if I can get a price

Thanks Paul.