Author Topic: Fancy a trip down memory lane?  (Read 1000 times)

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
Fancy a trip down memory lane?
« on: 21 May, 2018, 08:52:47 am »
Being 'over a certain age' this is quite tempting. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/21/raspberry_pi_pdp_11_revival/

Re: Fancy a trip down memory lane?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:09:01 am »
Memories of my early years at work, complete with noisy punched tape machine.

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2018, 10:29:33 am »
Probably has more than the 8k of memory the IBM mainframe I first used had!

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2018, 01:06:50 pm »
The "blinkenlights" reminds me of the first time I saw a PDP-11 in the flesh, in a DEC computer room in 1981.  I was astonished to see a blinking led pattern, which I was told was produced by the O/S's "null" process. I believe it was RSX-11 or 11M-plus (everything had to be -plus at DEC).  Some years earlier I'd seen the same pattern coming from a cabinet behind Keith Emerson at an ELP concert and there was a general rumour that Emerson used computers in his elaborate keyboard setup.  At the time I dismissed it as teenage nonsense...

As for trips down memory lane, my advice is don't.  In the run-up to my retirement, now failed, I looked into getting VAX/VMS (the pinnacle of CISC) running under SIMH and doing a bit of assembly programming.  A little bit of research convinced me that this was a pointless exercise in nostalgia and things had moved on so much you could probably get the O/S to boot up in emulation on a smartphone faster than the original hardware.  Better to go where computing's gone - beyond the hardware, beyond the software, and to big data and probability maths.  I might look into that when I actually retire; but no looking back.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.