Author Topic: GoogleMap guidance and Strava logging?  (Read 1714 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
GoogleMap guidance and Strava logging?
« on: 21 May, 2018, 10:44:04 pm »
When Brommieing around foreign parts, I tend to use Google Maps on my Iphone to give turn directions. Whenever I try to simultaneously run Strava recording, Strava goes to sleep. Am I missing a trick? Is there a way to get them running simultaneously?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: GoogleMap guidance and Strava logging?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2018, 07:50:21 am »
I’m guessing that only one app at a time can access the GPS.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2018, 08:15:18 am »
No, this should work, I do it all the time.

If you have a really old iPhone it may close other apps if you use another one, killing Strava. Which iPhone do you have? When you switch back to Strava does it look like it's restarting the app (e.g. showing the loading screen for a long time) or just switching back?

It could also be a permissions issue - check that Strava is allowed background location access in the Privacy settings.

(although I note on my phone Strava is set to "Only when using the app" and it works fine in the background, but shows a blue bar at the top of the screen when recording in the background)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2018, 12:31:52 pm »
4S, which still works fine, after a couple of battery changes. Thanks for the tips, I'll check the settings and suchlike this evening.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2018, 11:18:31 pm »
I did this exactly last night and it worked fine. Strava on and recording. Back to home page and start google maps. I get tbt from google and my walking distance updates from Strava.

« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2018, 06:38:08 pm »
The 4S only has 512 MB of RAM, which (sadly) is going to struggle to keep two complex modern apps open at once alongside all of the OS gubbins.

You could try another recording app (Wahoo Fitness is good and can upload to Strava, but no idea if it uses less memory).

The other technique you can use to give you the best chance is (1) open Strava and start recording (2) start TBT in Google Maps (3) double click home and select Strava, check it's still recording (4) double click and switch back to Google Maps.