Author Topic: Haglund’s Deformity (heel bursitis)  (Read 1201 times)

Samuel D

Haglund’s Deformity (heel bursitis)
« on: 28 June, 2018, 10:08:20 am »
I think I have this problem. Self-diagnosed, but I’ve never wrongly self-diagnosed since I became convinced I had breast cancer as an adolescent boy.

I have the risk factors of fairly high arches, bony heels, and walking (landing) on the outside of my heel.

I’m not sure this was caused by my cycling, because I have street shoes that appear to be problematic, i.e. with high and stiff heel counters and tabs.

However, I’ve also had months of problems with my calves/Achilles tendons/heels caused mainly, I think, by a slipping seatpost. I cycle with a fairly low heel at the best of times, and when the saddle slips down farther, the Achilles tendon has to stretch in a curve while under pressure from the heel counter – probably not ideal.

I’m going to try changing my street shoes, stretching the calves and tendons daily, and replacing my cycling shoes. Anything else I should consider?

Are any cycling shoes known to have medically sensible heel counters?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Haglund’s Deformity (heel bursitis)
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2018, 11:57:33 am »
I think you need to see someone who can examine you feet, shoes and walking pattern.

Feet and walking are three dimensional, dynamic entities and advice over the internet by those who can't  see and feel your feet, and have little knowledge is probably not very helpful.

Re: Haglund’s Deformity (heel bursitis)
« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2018, 09:51:25 pm »
I think I have this problem. Self-diagnosed, but I’ve never wrongly self-diagnosed since I became convinced I had breast cancer as an adolescent boy.

I have the risk factors of fairly high arches, bony heels, and walking (landing) on the outside of my heel.

I’m not sure this was caused by my cycling, because I have street shoes that appear to be problematic, i.e. with high and stiff heel counters and tabs.

However, I’ve also had months of problems with my calves/Achilles tendons/heels caused mainly, I think, by a slipping seatpost. I cycle with a fairly low heel at the best of times, and when the saddle slips down farther, the Achilles tendon has to stretch in a curve while under pressure from the heel counter – probably not ideal.

I’m going to try changing my street shoes, stretching the calves and tendons daily, and replacing my cycling shoes. Anything else I should consider?

Are any cycling shoes known to have medically sensible heel counters?

Hard to advise but in terms of recovery I recently suffered with Achilles bursitis during my marathon training.

Interestingly for many Achilles issues (such as tendonitis) rest and ice and stretching will not help if it isn't an injury caused by swelling.   If its a tear from positional issues then you need to rebuild the muscle and it also needs to be rebuilt in a certain way to become strong.

My problems were due to mini tears and general weakness.   I was told to do 100-200 concentric stair raises each day.   So you stand on a bottom step with most of your foot over the edge of the stair.   Then you use the good ankle to raise all your weight onto the tip toe of your weak foot.  At that point you take all the weight on the weaker tip toe and slowly lower your foot down and push the ankle past the level point...so the ankle is below the step.

Its very painful for the first week but the results were incredible - all pain gone and a much stronger ankle and Achilles.    This exercise seems to be a go to for many runners with weak or tight Achilles so might be worth looking up on youtube