Author Topic: advertising a touring bike for sale  (Read 1507 times)

advertising a touring bike for sale
« on: 28 June, 2018, 07:49:37 pm »
I am new to YACF. Can anyone give me information how to advertise a touring bike for sale please.

Re: advertising a touring bike for sale
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2018, 08:18:51 pm »
Post in the For Sale thread. Give as much detail as you can and link to some photos. Oh, and give a price and where you are.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2018, 08:54:11 pm »
The more information you give (especially photographs of your item, not a similar one for sale
in a shop or on internet), the more interest you'll get in the bike.

« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2018, 11:27:48 am »
*Look for similar bikes for sale and use that to help you set a realistic price.  If you spent £1000 on it but they are selling for £300 on eBay, you should be selling it for about £270 here (saving eBay fees). 
*If the price is unrealistically high people will move on and you end up with a trail of "bump"s and price drops.  If you keep dropping the price then even if people are interested they know that they should wait another month for the next price drop.
*Indicate "ono", even if you don't want to hear about "nearest offers" don't put people off by refusing to listen (and if it's the only option you have you may reconsider).
*Extras (mudguards, dyno lights, etc) won't realistically affect the price, but may help make the sale.  If you have a hub dynamo consider making a price for the bike with a regular wheel, but offer the hub wheel as an optional extra.
*Conversely the buyer may not want your £100 saddle or pedals, so selling without saddle or pedals is quite common/expected. 
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2018, 11:48:11 am »
Rough rule of thumb for pricing: 50% off list price after one year, take off 10% every year thereafter - depending on condition, obviously.  So a £1000 bike that's three years old and in ok condition will be £405 or thereabouts.  Price it to sell, rather than to make money.

Take lots of good clear photos, particularly of any damage.

Specify what size it is and any useful measurements (top tube and seat tube lengths etc.)

Work out how much it'll cost you to ship (or specify collection only).  Calculate fees if you're using paypal, and don't ask for paypal friends and family payments.

« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2018, 03:50:20 pm »
Thanks to all who replied to my questions about selling a touring bike , but will someone please explain to this old duffer how I add the pictures to the advert. Thank you all.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2018, 05:01:25 pm »
Thanks to all who replied to my questions about selling a touring bike , but will someone please explain to this old duffer how I add the pictures to the advert. Thank you all.

Create a Flickr page. Add photos, and then link to those in your listing. It may help to put them as 'pictures' in the listing but anyone keen will go and look. For instance:

Sharing:
https://flic.kr/p/KbBrtt

IMAGE:

BBCode:
IMG_20180704_204650 by David Crampton, on Flickr

then use the Preview button to see how it will look before posting. Most smart phones can add the Flickr app and that will allow you to take the picture and upload it to flickr. Then log in on your PC and post here.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/