Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2173752 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12775 on: 26 February, 2018, 07:45:17 pm »
Twiddled a few nuts & bolts, adjusted a couple of bearings, and my router sled is now ready to go.  Then I belted indoors without trying it, 'coz it's 2°C in the workshop.

2C, positively balmy.  I got to that point after half an hour of fan heater on Saturday whilst removing components from the roadbike to build up the cruzbike
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12776 on: 26 February, 2018, 10:05:49 pm »
Applied tactical cable ties, wielded drill, mole grips, chain lube and mild swearing. The Snobike of Thee Apocalypse is ready .

(Ok, the gears don't seem to shift but it would be tempting fate to unmantle them right now)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12777 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:15:27 am »
Bound my new receiver in my Bonanza.

Still got the same problems :(
Getting there...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #12778 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:40:05 am »
My 'spare' alto sax.  My music teacher 'confiscated' my #1 Yamaha alto at the end of last night's lesson so she could fix a few adjustment issues before next week's lesson.  Had to get out my son's old Buescher, which has been sitting in its case for about 18 months since I bought the Yamaha.

Had to spend about an hour tracking down sticky pads and a stiff action to get it to play acceptably.  Sounds OK now - so at least I can practice this week.  Definitely need at least one more alto sax, and maybe a tenor too. 

See:  the Reader's Instruments thread....
But maybe I should buy a tenor sax as well.....  Does the n+1 rule apply to instruments?)

But of course. Even more so than with bikes! :facepalm:
Yup. I've got 12.

ElyDave

« Reply #12779 on: 27 February, 2018, 03:55:20 pm »
cleaned up all of the components from the old Giant ready to mount on the new Cruzbike.  Decided not to completely refurb the old 521 long reach brakes, they are functional as it is, and it's only a couple of corroded bolts that make them look as old as they are.

Ran into a problem with the BB though, it's Shimano, and I only have the SRAM tool, of course.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #12780 on: 27 February, 2018, 04:01:42 pm »
My 'spare' alto sax.  My music teacher 'confiscated' my #1 Yamaha alto at the end of last night's lesson so she could fix a few adjustment issues before next week's lesson.  Had to get out my son's old Buescher, which has been sitting in its case for about 18 months since I bought the Yamaha.

Had to spend about an hour tracking down sticky pads and a stiff action to get it to play acceptably.  Sounds OK now - so at least I can practice this week.  Definitely need at least one more alto sax, and maybe a tenor too. 

I've been thinking of digging out my poor old Alto that has been languishing in its case since I failed to sell it. (I didn't try too hard it has to be admitted) I might as well play it and upset the neighbours as leave it all sad and alone
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12781 on: 28 February, 2018, 01:51:09 pm »
Put a temporary plywood shutter over one of our cellar windows where the wind was howling in.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12782 on: 01 March, 2018, 01:48:33 pm »
Applied tactical cable ties, wielded drill, mole grips, chain lube and mild swearing. The Snobike of Thee Apocalypse is ready .

(Ok, the gears don't seem to shift but it would be tempting fate to unmantle them right now)

Follow up fettle. Fitted a new rear gear cable and as much new outer as I could find in the Temporary Seecrit Bunker.  Gears now shift but I think the return spring on the trigger shifter is banjaxed. Good enough though, so rode it to work today, searching out snow covered bridleways.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

« Reply #12783 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:02:54 pm »
finally got hold of the correct variant of shimano external BB tool, removed bearings OK, but damaged iner plastic sleeve on removal (with a large lump of ice)

Temp fitted bearings and cranks to the new bike to allow sizing of bike and reduction in length of boom as required.  Inner sleeve seems to be a replacement part which is good news

« Reply #12784 on: 01 March, 2018, 07:30:54 pm »
Overflow has been  dripping slightly intermittently and has now frozen solid. I may have a pinhole in cylinder heating coil. (heating engineer didnt think so but I am now fairly sure that is what it is.) Took a look at the Feed and Expansion  tank and reduced its water level a bit. Yuk! various types of martian undergrowth in there. (this could suggest pumping over but I have not cleaned it in years). Must clean it out soonest. Have reduced boiler stat temp and turned off water heating programme as a precaution. HW cylinder stat is working properly with water at 60 deg. All rads lovely and warm. Have changed syncro motor in heating circ motorised valve very recently.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #12785 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:38:31 pm »
Re-rimmed the rear wheel on my Dave Yates - the old rim had an eyelet pulling through, causing a high spot on the rim. It got me through LEL, but still it was annoying.

While I was on it, I have the bike a quick clean, tidied up some of the (many many) cables, and re-greased the quill stem and seatpost.

After all that, I'm not bloody taking it anywhere until the weather cleans its act up a bit.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12786 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:40:24 pm »
Boiler conked out with a non-specific flame failure error.  As it didn't have a specific error code for a blocked condensate drain, I guessed it was that, disconnected the drain from the boiler, collected a pan full of grimy water, and the boiler rebooted successfully.

De-icing the drain pipe run made unnecessarily complicated[1] by it consisting of about 15 elbow joints before sharing a waste pipe with the washing machine (which we can't move to get access to the pipework without first moving the fridge, because Stupid Landlord Kitchen), which had indeed frozen.

TIL: That the washing machine's soft on/off switch means you can't abort an experimental attempt at pumping some warm water from the drum without committing yourself to a litre or two of flooding if the waste pipe isn't clear.

Grr.

[1] There's a drain literally on the other side of the wall from the boiler.  I assume Tweedledum and Tweedledumber (lowest-bid heating engineers for the buy-to-let market) lacked the necessary drill bit to do the obvious thing.

« Reply #12787 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:44:45 pm »
Surprised trace heating hasn't caught on with susceptible condensate pipework.

« Reply #12788 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:55:01 pm »
New Campag gear and brake cables for one of my bikes. Took longer than I expected, but I can now
index both front and rear derailleurs with confidence.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12789 on: 02 March, 2018, 09:37:03 am »
Bled the radiators in the Estate Office and the Spa, the latter being complicated by my 22mm socket hiding right at the bottom of the toolbox.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12790 on: 02 March, 2018, 01:14:49 pm »
Tried to fit an extension to a speaker lead, only to find that my small screwdrivers are all over 200km away :'(
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12791 on: 02 March, 2018, 05:24:08 pm »
Astonishingly, when one of the lenses of my reading specs fell out because loose screw on New Years Day, Professor Larrington actually unearthed a set of small screwkidisers.  Astonishing because she is not the world's most practical person.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12792 on: 03 March, 2018, 05:18:51 pm »
Took a box that contained a rat's nest masquerading as a load of cables and converted it into a nice, next pile of cables, hifi cabling for the use of.

Obviously I had left the box for long enough, in the right conditions, as there was X million IEC cables, 5 figure 8 (radio) cables, numerous cat5 and even a couple of USB A to B cables!

I swear, not so long ago that I had zero spare IEC cables, nor radio cables...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #12793 on: 04 March, 2018, 08:47:03 am »
Wait 'till you get started on coat hangars!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12794 on: 04 March, 2018, 03:21:04 pm »
Obvs in just the right conditions. No signs of a cassette of Queen's Greatest Hits . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

« Reply #12795 on: 05 March, 2018, 11:33:46 am »
Put the SPDs on the old 90's MTB for a quick ride at the weekend. Completely screwed up the knee bend, so after 3km stopped to raise the saddle to compensate the revised stack height.

Cleaned both that and the M5 one the hoze had de-froze after I got back. Sprayed a bit of lube around, and mounted the front mech on the Cruzbike.

Also added the second water bottle cage to the side of the seat on the M5.  Should have put some tape on it first - a couple of small chips on one of the holes, didn't do that on the first side for some reason - maybe I was getting a bit cavalier with it.

« Reply #12796 on: 05 March, 2018, 04:10:00 pm »
It’ll be tomorrow morning now. The rear mudguard on my bike has, somehow, rotated backwards around 2” - the being the distance the clip is now above the chainstay bridge. Hmmmm. Perhaps not unconnected with the rear ‘guard being so full of mud (I run 28mm tyres with guards where the recommendation is 25mm, and truthfully it’s bloody tight clearance) that it virtually jammed the back wheel. My “ministrations” roadside might have caused the issue.

ETA

Well that did get fettled today - deflate tyre, remove wheel, prise open the guard clips at the brake bridge, loosen the stay bolts, and push guard back into position with the clip over the chainstay bridge.  Clips re-crimped and stay bolts tightened. I've not bolted the guard at the chainstay bridge, as it's already tight to remove the wheel, but may invest in a panhead for future fettle.

Wheel back in, and because it was deflated already, valve core out and topped up sealant. Did the front too.

Then I cleaned the chain (after bodging my Park Tools chain cleaner because the retaining clip assemblies had disintegrated  :facepalm: and also the jockey wheels and cassette. 

Then Muc-Offed and washed the bike, so at least the cranks are reflective not matte now!

GT85 spray on SPD's, cassette and mechs.  Wet teflon lube on them after.  Chain got a dose of (the no longer available it seems) Finish Line Century Wet Lube.  I like this - a foaming pink spray with good penetration. Jockey wheel bearings got a dose too.

Then I decided the rear guard was still too close to the tyre, so out came the 8mm spanner and off came the guard stay caps. Loosened nuts, hauled guard up 5mm or so, and retightened. Much better.

Then went for a ride.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12797 on: 07 March, 2018, 04:05:04 pm »
Extended the speaker cable; bound the receiver to the Tx on my glider; tidied my tools; sorted aircraft bits; swapped cases for equipment.

Failed to find 3 different charging cables... ::)
Getting there...

« Reply #12798 on: 07 March, 2018, 09:00:26 pm »
New Campag gear and brake cables for one of my bikes. Took longer than I expected, but I can now
index both front and rear derailleurs with confidence.
Cut the gear and brake cable to length (at least 3 inches from where it is clamped).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12799 on: 08 March, 2018, 10:41:02 am »
I have sorted out the flaps on my Bonanza! :)  Now I need to find a suitable box so I can put it in storage :'(

And all but the motor on my Conscendo glider.

Getting there...