Author Topic: RAW images  (Read 11279 times)

annie

RAW images
« on: 06 January, 2009, 05:49:51 pm »
I have been snapping away all day long and only when I received the message that I had filled up the card in the camera did I realise I had been taking the pictures in RAW mode.

What is the best software for playing with these pics.  I have Corel Paintshop Professional XI (if I remember rightly) will this do the trick?

border-rider

Re: RAW images
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2009, 06:09:41 pm »
If not, The Gimp (which is freeware and very, very good) will. Apparently - though I've not tried myself.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2009, 06:23:36 pm »
Silkypix is my favourite.  A full-featured free trial version is available.  I'll post a link when I find it.

RawTherapee is a powerful free alternative - but I don't like the user interface or image quality so much.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2009, 06:29:28 pm »

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2009, 06:45:23 pm »
I've been playing with Photoshop Elements which does a very good job of corrections etc on Nikon RAW.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2009, 06:47:37 pm »
Annie, your camera should have come supplied with software to manipulate/save the images on the camera. The most straightforward solution is to use that software, even if only to save the RAW images to a format you can use with your prefered photo software.

« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:01:15 pm »
Annie, your camera should have come supplied with software to manipulate/save the images on the camera. The most straightforward solution is to use that software, even if only to save the RAW images to a format you can use with your prefered photo software.

Not least because the actual format of the RAW data varies for different models of camera from the same manufacturer, let alone between different companies.
The software that came with the camera is at least guaranteed to read the RAW files from the camera, without having to possibly uninstall software that may read some RAW formats, but not that from your camera.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:40:43 pm »
Yes the camera should have come with a RAW converter, but other programs are bound to be better.  You can check before downloading whether the camera is supported.

Using Adobe DNG converter (free) to convert from the camera RAW to DNG RAW (widely supported) is another possibility if Adobe supports the camera.  This may also save disk space.

annie

« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:44:37 pm »
Thanks for all the great info folks.  My camera is a Canon 30D.  I shall have a play around tomorrow when it warms up a little.

« Reply #9 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:47:28 pm »
I have a disk with the Canon Photo Professional software if you don't have it - it's actually very good. I can bring a copy on Saturday if you need it.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:47:49 pm »
The 30D is widely supported, I think.  Silkypix supports it anyway.

You might like RAW so much that you switch over to it permanently!

« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2009, 09:56:16 pm »
RAW is very good for resizing and getting optimal resolution, and personally I would use it as the default. The Canon RAW format is also widely supported - although you may have to install an update or plug-in. For practicability though you may prefer to set the camera to save as TIFF (uncompressed) or high resoluton JPEG.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2009, 10:29:56 pm »
I set my Nikon to RAW+JPEG. I then have the RAW if I need it, and the JPEG for quick image manipulation.

The nikon software is crap at lowering the exposure on raw images. It darkens them but boosts the colour saturation at the same time which is a bad thing and looks ugly. Adobe's raw converter is much better.

Bibble is the other name I was looking for and for standard batch processing (sharpness/balance/ curves) is really easy to use.

This is my problem. I want HDR so I have photomatix. I want basic editing but can't afford Photoshop so I am considering Elements 7. I would like batch processing with multiple output streams (JPEG thumbs/small and final from RAW) for which Bibble is excellent.

Which to go for? I haven't tried Silkypix or the GIMP recently.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #13 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:39:48 pm »
For a very good freeware raw converter, have a look at Raw Therapee

Works with (nearly) all cameras, so has advantages if you change camera later, you can continue to use the same software.

« Reply #14 on: 06 January, 2009, 11:53:24 pm »
I only use Raw now, to give me the flexibility.  Canons own raw converter is pretty good or if you want a spendy version, I use adobe lightroom for everything (raw conversion, archiving, basic editing).  I played with Bibble for a bit and it was excellent for raw, less good for the archiving / editing.  I thought silkypix was quite slow but gave some fantastic results.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 07 January, 2009, 12:10:19 am »
Similar workflow to mike, except I use Aperture - RAW for everything, then Aperture for minor cropping ,adjustments etc. Then export from Aperture to ftp, Flickr etc.

I was always a negative man and I see RAW as a digital negative.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #16 on: 07 January, 2009, 12:53:19 am »
I was always a negative man and I see RAW as a digital negative.
That's where the DNG in Adobe's DNG RAW format comes from

annie

« Reply #17 on: 07 January, 2009, 07:42:23 pm »
I downloaded the free trial for Silkypix - feel free to be as harsh as you like on these next two pics, my first try at playing around with RAW images.  I haven't got a clue what I am doing but it is good fun tweaking here and there and looking at the results.

annie

« Reply #18 on: 07 January, 2009, 08:15:15 pm »

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #19 on: 07 January, 2009, 08:18:47 pm »
... feel free to be as harsh as you like ...
I haven't got a clue what I am doing

You jest.  Or maybe it is only my monitor that makes them look so good.

You could make money if there are more like these.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #20 on: 07 January, 2009, 08:22:44 pm »
I haven't got a clue what I am doing but it is good fun tweaking here and there and looking at the results.

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I'm struggling to think of any suggestions let alone harsh criticisms.  Lovely pictures.

You might possibly bring out a little more detail in the bright white areas via Highlight controller - Dynamic range.

BTW, Silkypix have a Pro version coming out (in English) soon with two or three more good features.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #21 on: 07 January, 2009, 08:26:39 pm »
Or maybe it is only my monitor that makes them look so good.

No, they're looking good even on my naff laptop monitor.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #22 on: 07 January, 2009, 08:26:43 pm »
Love the third one - especially the light ripples on the stern. That would look good printed to about 24x16 on a wrapped canvas frame.

:-)

« Reply #23 on: 07 January, 2009, 08:37:19 pm »
Blimey Annie, you have an eye for this game.   Wish I could see pictures like that.

I really like the first and third pics very much indeed.  Keep posting.   :thumbsup:

annie

« Reply #24 on: 07 January, 2009, 08:43:46 pm »
I am flattered, truly flattered. 

I have always been a point and shoot kind of photographer and only now find myself sitting down and actually taking the time to look at the composition etc.

I am having a great time, thanks to all of you for you help and advice.  It has taken me about an hour so far to work on just a couple of pics, I am sure they could be improved even more if I understood what I was doing.

I have played around with the Highlight - Dynamic thingie but even at +4 OEV I can see little difference.

What fun :D