Linked Events

• WARTY: 09 May, 2009

Author Topic: WARTY - 9th May  (Read 16239 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
WARTY - 9th May
« on: 05 April, 2009, 08:25:28 pm »
After much deliberation we have plumped for 9/5/09. Trains operate from London to Marks Tey, which is where we will meet. Route to be announced, but we are thinking seriously about 11ses in Bures and lunch in Kersey. We are expecting to hear cuckoos and there may be a brief stop at an ancient chapel and another at a nature reserve wood. There will also be a ford.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

annie

Re: WARTY - 9th May
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2009, 08:31:01 pm »
I am still looking at a route, don't want the gap between elevenses and lunch to be too close.

The Ford in question is at the bottom of a very steep hill, be warned.

This will go within a few miles of my house :)

« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2009, 08:50:41 pm »
I'm in.  ::-)

Are there any tunnels or footbridges over the A12/A120 (mini spaghetti junction), south to north, to get to Marks Tey station? Otherwise I'll go north and go through Great Tey from Coggeshall.

Edit: This looks OK, Clicky, on virtual paper.

annie

« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2009, 08:51:53 pm »

Are there any tunnels or footbridges over the A12/A120 (mini spaghetti junction), south to north, to get to Marks Tey station? Otherwise I'll go north and go through Great Tey from Coggeshall.

I am sure there are.  Let me take a little look.  I am probably going to ride down to this, if I can work out a route.

annie

« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2009, 08:53:39 pm »

Map and directions to Marks Tey Hotel, Colchester UK  Is this useful?

« Reply #5 on: 05 April, 2009, 08:56:44 pm »
I'm an unlikely candidate, I'm afraid.  :(

FNRttC the night before, you understand.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 05 April, 2009, 08:57:00 pm »
We will have the estimable rider formerly known as Superstoker  (ERFKAS) with us that weekend, so we shall put in tentative apologies, though he may feel he wants to give it a go.
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 05 April, 2009, 09:07:04 pm »
It's appealing as I can ride to it from home (just about!) but I'm doing the Suffolk Sunrise ride the next day so may have to rest in preparation. I will think it over!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 05 April, 2009, 09:08:02 pm »
Map and directions to Marks Tey Hotel, Colchester UK  Is this useful?
Thanks annie but I think I've sorted it. There is a foot bridge which ends in a bus stop on the A12. From that bus stop it's about 400 metres to the car park (north of the rail line?).

annie

« Reply #9 on: 05 April, 2009, 09:08:54 pm »
Sorry that this date is proving awkward for so many.  It would be possible to do it the weekend before but I would not be there as I have agreed to look after my dad that weekend.  

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #10 on: 05 April, 2009, 09:15:50 pm »
My diary is free..   ;D

« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2009, 09:22:34 pm »
Sorry that this date is proving awkward for so many.  

No need to be on my account.
There'll be plenty more other occasions  :-*..............

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2009, 09:47:02 pm »
I actually think it's a very healthy sign that we have enough rides around that people can pick and choose. I quite fancied the FNRttC (it was May that we heard the nightingale, wasn't it, Annie?) but, as Edmund Blackadder once said, meeds must when the devil vomits in your kettle. The devil, in this case, is National Express East Anglia.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13 on: 05 April, 2009, 09:52:14 pm »
Seeing as I'm I/C getting hold of teastop accommodation for the May FNRTTC, I shall have to duck this one too. Which is a shame.

But like Jurek says, don't go changing the date just because I can't be there.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #14 on: 05 April, 2009, 10:15:19 pm »
I'm an unlikely candidate, I'm afraid.  :(

FNRttC the night before, you understand.

Shame it's not Southend for the FNRttC, then it would be simple to just ride across in the morning to do the WARTY.  :P
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #15 on: 06 April, 2009, 11:03:21 am »
9th May looks good for me. :thumbsup:

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #16 on: 06 April, 2009, 06:37:27 pm »
Pencil me in please.

annie

« Reply #17 on: 06 April, 2009, 06:43:23 pm »
So far then,

Annie
Wowbagger
Mrs Wowbagger
Delthebike
RogerT
Ianrauk
Bobb
Auntie Helen
Dasmoth
Emily

Possibles:

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 06 April, 2009, 09:51:45 pm »
Stick me down too for this one  :thumbsup:
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 06 April, 2009, 10:04:38 pm »
Definite possible for me. Week after the Severn Across 400 and a couple of weeks before the next Audax outing, so should work.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #20 on: 07 April, 2009, 06:47:30 pm »
Make me a definite.

(I sneaked it past Uncle James by saying I wanted to do two big rides back-to-back to prepare for my 3 week tour of Germany later in the month; plus as it's starting at Marks Tey I sort-of suggested that it's a local, easy ride! I think he fell for the arguments.)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #21 on: 07 April, 2009, 08:47:45 pm »
Ooooh, at last a WARTY date we can make!  D'ya think there's room for Emily and myself?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

annie

« Reply #22 on: 07 April, 2009, 09:53:04 pm »
Ooooh, at last a WARTY date we can make!  D'ya think there's room for Emily and myself?

Absolutely, yes :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #23 on: 08 April, 2009, 03:26:19 pm »
Well I've just been for a ride to Marks Tey (I know how to have a good time) to look at That There junction.

I decided to approach via the scenic route (i.e. north of the A12) which was a nice 16 mile ride through the villages of Langham, Boxted, Great Horkseley, Fordham and Aldham. Between Aldham and Marks Tey the road was closed (they were filling in potholes) but I was allowed to go through which saved a rather long diversion.

Anyway, I arrived at the station (very small, doesn't appear to have a loo or café or anything) which had a large bike park area facing the A12 (presumably a good assembly spot for us!) and a car park.

There is a pedestrian footbridge over the A12, just wide enough to take my trike over (i.e. probably only 1.3 metres wide or so) but in order to get to it I had to cross the dual carriageway A120 feeder road into the roundabout for the A12/A120. This was very tricky to cross, it took me about 3 minutes before there was a large enough gap. There were two areas with lowered kerbs, neither of which gave you very long to see traffic which was coming from round a corner.

Anyway, these pics might help those planning to cycle to this ride.

From the footbridge looking back over the place where I crossed (at the bus stop)

Once I'd crossed the footbridge there was a very quiet road upon which were a lot of food establishments - chip shop, chinese, convenience store, sandwich shop. I went into the sandwich shop to see if it'd do as a place for breakfast and they did the following (as well as lots of filled rolls/baguettes):

As there was nowhere to sit inside I went out again and sat on my bike and noticed the posh delicatessen across the road (with large car park) had the following sign:

I reckon that's quite pricey for a brekkie!

Anyway, my conclusion, having struggled to push my trike across the road, was that I'll probably cycle that part on the road rather than walking it, but those more sprightly on their feet with cycles that are easier to wheel ought to be OK, if they are patient!

By the way, Wowbagger, have you considered riding from Mark's Tey to Dedham? It was a lovely flattish and picturesque ride that I had to get to Marks Tey and very little traffic. Dedham's tea room could make a good elevenses stop?

« Reply #24 on: 08 April, 2009, 06:10:30 pm »
Autie Helen's last picture of the food hemporium must have been taken from the car park of that most excellent cycle shop:Off the Front Home

n
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.