Author Topic: AVRO Vulcan XH558  (Read 78015 times)

Re: AVRO Vulcan XH558
« Reply #25 on: 22 June, 2009, 07:34:40 pm »
The Vulcan has curves like a sexy woman.

I always knew you weren't really a homo, Reg.

;)

He's a Stately Homo now he's moved to Cambridge.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
« Reply #26 on: 22 June, 2009, 07:38:44 pm »

and finally swept majestically off back to Lincolnshire.

Are you sure 'cos I saw her at low altitude coming away from Brize on Sunday afternoon and she definitely took off from Brize last week 'cos the room I invigilating exams in one day last week is directly under the flightpath!?
Question everything, accept nothing.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 22 June, 2009, 07:41:20 pm »
Well, at the time I thought that was where she was going, but an earlier post up thread suggests that she is a bit of a nomad at the moment.
It is simpler than it looks.

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
« Reply #28 on: 22 June, 2009, 07:46:18 pm »
Ah should've used me eyes.

I get the feeling that someone over at Brize has got a soft spot for the Vulcan, it does seem to spend quite a lot of time there.

When my son was doing his work experience over there last year, it was up on the jig having its hydraulics sorted.

My abiding memory of Vulcans is being outside my grandmother's house near Chard in the late 60's or early seventies and having one fly over at speed and then stand on its tail, engage full reheat and nearly deafen me.

« Reply #29 on: 22 June, 2009, 07:53:25 pm »
When I was a nipper living in the Cerne Valley in Dorset

I'll bet it was you who carved the CDC on the once decent giant.  ;D
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
« Reply #30 on: 22 June, 2009, 07:57:28 pm »
When I was a nipper living in the Cerne Valley in Dorset they used to regularly thunder down the valley.  Awesome sight!!

In fact, probably because of the Cerne Giant, we used to get all sorts of stuff flying over, even A10 Warthogs from Bentwaters in Suffolk.

Good winding valley to fly down and if you're heading north it spits you out into the Blackmore Vale looking entirely innocent of such boyish pranks

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #31 on: 22 June, 2009, 09:03:50 pm »
I showed the photos to a friend and a tear came to his eye. He said "I do like these magestic old timers. You can't beat an old bird, noisy, undercarriage deployed, flaps down, venting noxious trails of exhaust."

Marvelous.

« Reply #32 on: 23 June, 2009, 02:10:03 am »
When I was a nipper living in the Cerne Valley in Dorset

I'll bet it was you who carved the CDC on the once decent giant.  ;D

You jest but it is suspected that originally the giant had a navel and a slightly smaller cock.

But with a smaller cock donut hoopla is never as much fun

« Reply #33 on: 23 June, 2009, 08:50:04 am »
Don't.

I didn't know about that till I rode down there in 2007 in preparation for PBP.  What greeted me was that monstrosity and a load of ice-cream munching Homer clones in the lay-by pointing at it and guffawing.

That it should come to this.  ::-)

« Reply #34 on: 23 June, 2009, 10:18:30 am »

What's with all the con Cerne?

« Reply #35 on: 23 June, 2009, 04:27:53 pm »
Already posted, but a lovely movie with Mirage 2000, F1 in Morocco where I was stationned some 10 many (!) years ago:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pVgSlaNXHeg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/pVgSlaNXHeg&rel=1</a>
Yes, the French have some humour and can fly.  ;) Viz.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-3ZPDX68_Dg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-3ZPDX68_Dg&rel=1</a>
(minimum level, distance down to within 1 m...)
Low level in Chad, with F1:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/miALfTeucZg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/miALfTeucZg&rel=1</a>
And finally the defunct Voltige Victor:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vKfLF9X23HE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/vKfLF9X23HE&rel=1</a>
My Mirage inspiration... Of course all are in my favourite list too!  ;D

Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #36 on: 23 June, 2009, 06:40:52 pm »

Yes, the French have some humour

Le Benny Hill!!!

« Reply #37 on: 24 June, 2009, 08:43:13 am »

Yes, the French have some humour

Le Benny Hill!!!

Oh, this takes me back! <De Caunes' accent> Simple, British "humour" shown on FR3 decades ago... </End of>
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #38 on: 24 June, 2009, 08:59:08 am »
English humour a la 1970's.

Still current in France when I lived there in the early 90's  ;)

I don't think the French ever got Le Monteee Peeetonn

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #39 on: 26 June, 2009, 02:11:12 pm »
Any fule kno that Antoine De Caunes is actually from Newcastle, but one day he OD'd on crystal meth and started torkeeeng lahk zis.

When I was a small Mr Larrington we had a Special Event at skool involving the Armed Forces.  Everyone ignored the Navy, as it's difficult to get a guided missile destroyer up the canal, but the Army had tanks and Colonel John Blashford-Snell (top Chap) just returned from the depths of the Otrato Swamp and lots of other cool shit.  And the RAF had a pair of loons yclept "Gemini" doing aerobatics in Jet Provosts, and the Red Arrows and a low-level pass from a Vulcan which deafened everyone and caused tiles to fall off the roof.  :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #40 on: 26 June, 2009, 02:15:51 pm »
I showed the photos to a friend and a tear came to his eye. He said "I do like these magestic old timers. You can't beat an old bird, noisy, undercarriage deployed, flaps down, venting noxious trails of exhaust."

Marvelous.

;D

Shouldn't that be in: Grandma that makes you cringe?

Hilldodger

« Reply #41 on: 26 June, 2009, 02:23:01 pm »
My school was next to Bitterswell Aerodrome where, in the 70's, lots of aircraft came to be fettled/rebuild/tested.

You'd be in class enjoying Double Hard Sums when suddenly someone would take off in an early jet of a Spitfire or something. I'm now not very good at hard sums.

They would also run the engines up to test them on jets like the Vulcan and it was v noisey. It's a wonder we're not all deaf.

Pardon?  

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #42 on: 26 June, 2009, 05:04:55 pm »
My school was next to Bitterswell Aerodrome where, in the 70's, lots of aircraft came to be fettled/rebuild/tested.

You'd be in class enjoying Double Hard Sums when suddenly someone would take off in an early jet of a Spitfire or something. I'm now not very good at hard sums.

They would also run the engines up to test them on jets like the Vulcan and it was v noisey. It's a wonder we're not all deaf.

Pardon?  

They do that at Marshalls in Cambridge.  When they're testing the engines and the winds in the wrong direction it's bloody loud.  And we're a good 1½miles from the airport....
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #43 on: 21 September, 2009, 11:37:31 pm »
XH558 was darkening the sky at the Goodwood Revival yesterday. I didn't see it, as I was concentrating on breaking into my car* in Chichester at the time, but I was wondering what on earth was making a noise like the sky falling in.  :o

* A sorry tale of vintage aviation pr0n-induced distraction, redeemed by some lateral thinking, some choice items from Robert Dyas and MacGyver madskilz. It might be worth a thread...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Martin

« Reply #44 on: 21 September, 2009, 11:42:23 pm »
I saw it at Shoreham last month; I notice since seeing it at Wadington and Biggin Hill that they've scraped enough pennies together for enough go-juice to make it turn its afterburners on and do a big climb every so often;

which is nice

« Reply #45 on: 30 September, 2009, 11:23:19 pm »
I think Vulcans were some of the most beautiful aircraft ever designed.  Much better looking than Concorde.
As you probably know, a Vulcan was used for testing the Concorde engines. I Can't remember where it is, but I'm sure I've seen it.
That would be XA903.

Photo was in 1971 at the end of the Olympus 593 tests. I don't know what happened to it after the RB199 (Tornado) test program.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #46 on: 01 October, 2009, 09:19:43 am »
There's a pretty good chance my dad knows at least half of the people in that picture.  I shall have to ask him.

Was it Filton?
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #47 on: 01 October, 2009, 02:16:29 pm »
The Stewardess uniform was a bit odd!

« Reply #48 on: 01 October, 2009, 03:41:48 pm »
There's a pretty good chance my dad knows at least half of the people in that picture.  I shall have to ask him.
That's a lot better than I can recall, which is limited to 2 names & a few faces (not including my own).

Where was your dad working?
Was it Filton?
It was indeed, though we always referred to the 'engines' site and the north side of the runway as Patchway.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #49 on: 01 October, 2009, 03:45:29 pm »
My dad actually worked at Barnoldswick then Derby, but was often down in Bristol.  Though back then, he was just part of the team, he went on to be Chief Metallurgist & Head of Labs, so testing stuff was his thing.
Getting there...