Author Topic: Boo is unwell  (Read 2155 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Boo is unwell
« on: 04 May, 2008, 02:04:19 pm »
She came limping in, unwilling to put weight on her right back leg.  I thought she'd been hit by a car, but the vet can't find any breaks and thinks it might be neurological  :-\  She's only about 18 months old.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

border-rider

Re: Boo is unwell
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2008, 02:13:59 pm »
She might just have wrenched it oddly. Our Little Fat Cat did that when she was young and had to be rushed to the vet - a week later she was fine.

rogerzilla

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2008, 04:17:20 pm »
Josh (the big fat older tabby) used to occasionally limp in, having landed badly on a front leg, but it usually sorted itself out within a few hours.  Fingers crossed.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2008, 05:37:02 pm »
Yes, I hope she's ok. Don't need any more poorly cats for one weekend.  :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2008, 07:19:34 pm »
Update: they're keeping her in overnight (Tesco Pet Insurance will be overjoyed) but can't find anything wrong.  They think she'll probably recover naturally.

Elleigh

« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2008, 08:48:22 pm »
Tiger the cross eyed cat with half a tail, used to limp occassionally.  We took him to the vets and they couldn't find anything wrong, and they suggested it was neurological.  But we found that he liked the attention, and pilchard, he got when he limped, so we think he did it for attention.  As soon as we made a fuss of him, the limping stopped

I hope that Boo gets well soon.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2008, 10:52:07 am »
How's the patient?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2008, 11:40:15 am »
Pretty much the same, but definitely no broken bones and no heart problems.  After some Googling a torn cruciate ligament seems the most likely problem.  She has full movement in the leg and uses it to scratch behind her head, but won't put any weight on it.  If I'm right, then it's self-healing in small animals but takes time.

She can move pretty fast and climb a 6' fence, but then so can most three-legged cats.