Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 170082 times)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #825 on: 24 July, 2017, 12:48:52 pm »
Oops, I would seem to have an X100F on the way...  :-[ :-[ :-[

« Reply #826 on: 25 July, 2017, 10:01:48 pm »
An OM 50 F1.8-16 lens and a 4/3 adaptor arrived today from eBay.

Stuck it on the E500 and had a play. Focusing these old lens without a split screen is hard, but wow lovely bokeh and it gathers so much light !

Not bad for forty quid for a prime lens and the adaptor to make it fit the E500. I think I might have to look out for some more.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #827 on: 01 August, 2017, 12:45:46 pm »
A set of unbranded Ebay extension tubes for £14.  Amazingly they have the TTL connections so auto-exposure modes work.

(Can you tell how long the exposure was?)

>> BIGGER <<
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #828 on: 01 August, 2017, 12:49:55 pm »
A HOYA ProND 1000 (10-Stop ND filter)

77mm dia so it will "step-down" to my other lenses. I only tested it in the garden so far but it seems sharp and the colours look fine (no obvious colour cast).  I think it's always worth using a White Balance card when using "Big Stoppers" though, there's almost always a cast at 10-stops.

Now then... Waterfalls and Rivers required.

It's superb quality.  I can't detect any colour-cast when using it (unlike my cheap varible ND which is, in effect, like a purple filter).

>> BIGGER <<

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #829 on: 01 August, 2017, 01:01:43 pm »
Manfrotto BeFree "live" travel tripod.

With the best will in the world it's never that appealing to lug my Manfrotto 055 any distance.  The BeFree seems to be very popular with travel photographers.  I just hope it's OK with a Canon 6D and 24-105L sat on top.

Actually got the wrong one in the post so I sent it back and upgraded to the Carbon version. Expensive but I thought, if I'm after a more travel-oriented tripod, why not go the whole hog and make it light as well as compact.

It packs very small indeed, comes with a carry case and a voucher for a Manfrotto Travel backpack worth about £80.  It will fit neatly on my rear rack without overhanging (like my Manfrotto 055 does).

What a great tripod this is.  I was worried about stability as it's very light and, when fully extended, quite skinny.

I was shooting 30 second exposures, into very high winds, with no problems (although I didn't have the 3rd skinny leg sections extended).  It definitely encourages you to carry a tripod.

>> BIGGER <<

I also just Ebayed the free Manfrotto backpack for £79 !!!  That totally offset the premium for the carbon version.  Result!!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #830 on: 02 August, 2017, 09:56:17 pm »
A second hand Rode videomic for the DSLR.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #831 on: 07 August, 2017, 12:02:32 am »
I have just bought a 42.5 f1.7 prime for my G80. Like it a lot...

I cn do this with it...

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #832 on: 07 August, 2017, 01:38:35 pm »
Oops, I would seem to have an X100F on the way...  :-[ :-[ :-[

Went to Woburn yesterday with this and had a lovely time. Woburn was fun and the camera was wonderful. I know people might frown on using the digital zoom but having 35, 50 and 75mm equivalents available at the twist of the controls was great and the photos really do look good. Very happy with the purchase!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #833 on: 18 August, 2017, 09:54:58 am »
A Fuji X20, to replace the X10 that I broke recently after using it since 2012.  I paid less than the cost of getting Fuji to replace the screen and viewfinder. 

Now, whether to flog my X10 for a pittance or else buy a new screen and try to replace it myself?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #834 on: 25 August, 2017, 09:59:03 pm »
Have ordered two replacement batteries for my 10 year old Canon IXUS 70. The unit price is about ¼ of what I paid in 2007.

« Reply #835 on: 12 September, 2017, 01:49:34 pm »
I seem to have bought a canon 1000D which has been modded by the removal of the original filters in front of the sensor and their replacement with a filter that lets through light emitted by hydrogen alpha. I now need to find a clear night to try it out on some of the red glowing stuff in Cygnus.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #836 on: 29 September, 2017, 05:11:30 pm »
Not me, but the lad used his birthday money etc to get a Canon 10-18mm. Man, that's wide! Perfect for lambscapesTM

Also traded some stuff with MPB to get him a nifty fifty. Nice.

Found a Canon-compatible Sigma flash in a charity shop for £hardlyAnything (boxed with pouch and hardly used). Soon he'll have more kit than me...
Pen Pusher

« Reply #837 on: 11 November, 2017, 05:46:11 pm »
Just took delivery of a rather lovely Kenko x2 teleconverter for my magic drainpipe, to give a a crystal clear 400mm f5.6 lens. I am looking forward to shooting some local wildlife if it is bright enough tomorrow.

« Reply #838 on: 21 November, 2017, 10:03:52 am »
Just took delivery of a rather lovely Kenko x2 teleconverter for my magic drainpipe, to give a a crystal clear 400mm f5.6 lens. I am looking forward to shooting some local wildlife if it is bright enough tomorrow.

:thumbsup:  how is *my* old drainpipe?

« Reply #839 on: 22 November, 2017, 06:10:44 pm »
It is very happy thank you Mike. It is enjoying the local wildlife (particularly kites and deer) and doesn't complain too much when I leave it out in the dark taking photos of galaxies and such like. It travels in my courier bag whenever I go out for a ride, so the hills are quite hard work with the extra weight!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #840 on: 22 November, 2017, 08:07:16 pm »

:thumbsup:  how is *my* old drainpipe?

I'm interested to hear what this magic drainpipe is?

« Reply #841 on: 22 November, 2017, 09:13:34 pm »
It's the nickname of the old Canon 80 - 200mm L series zoom, f2.8 and very lovely.  I was very fortunate to pick up Mike's copy, which is in excellent condition and keeps me entertained when out and about in the countryside.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #842 on: 23 November, 2017, 08:19:42 pm »
It's the nickname of the old Canon 80 - 200mm L series zoom, f2.8 and very lovely.  I was very fortunate to pick up Mike's copy, which is in excellent condition and keeps me entertained when out and about in the countryside.

Also very expensive it would seem!  :o :o :o

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #843 on: 25 November, 2017, 08:22:18 pm »
Not me, but #1 son bought a Neewer battery grip for his Canon. He's starting to look like a pro :).
Pen Pusher

« Reply #844 on: 26 November, 2017, 07:47:31 am »
Also very expensive it would seem!  :o :o :o

If bought from a shop/dealer, then yes. It is a lot of very expertly ground and polished glass built into a complicated but robust machine. But when bought from a Mike, a real bargain.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #845 on: 26 November, 2017, 10:04:45 pm »
A Leitz Pradovit Color, a.k.a. an old Leica projector, to digitise some of dad's slides for the funeral on Tuesday.  Or old projector is nowhere to be seen so if borrowed one off the neighbours but it really wasn't up to much, so this one came from gumtree for £50 (plus a hundred mile round trip to collect it).  Sadly it's only a 150 Watt model not  one of the 250s, but it does have the Colorplan 90 lens which is good.
I'm currently using work's conference room to shoot the projections, and it's turning out a lot better than when I tried it last time. 

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #846 on: 26 November, 2017, 10:43:51 pm »
That’s good.
It is simpler than it looks.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #847 on: 27 November, 2017, 12:37:12 am »
... on which subject, who made slide film for Max Spielmann in the mid nineties?  It really is shite.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #848 on: 27 November, 2017, 02:38:03 am »
Is it definitely their film, just developed by them?
It is simpler than it looks.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #849 on: 27 November, 2017, 10:32:43 am »
There are some rolls of Kodachrome from the same family holiday, which are in kodachrome carriers, so it's certainly not that.  I do remember we used to buy a lot of MS negative film - and when I've come to digitise it, I've been pretty unimpressed by that too, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I think Agfa may have made their film for them?  That wouldn't surprise me either.