Author Topic: What are you having for supper tonight?  (Read 329929 times)

Re: What are you having for supper tonight?
« Reply #2975 on: 26 April, 2017, 05:17:01 pm »
Fish and waffles and beans. They're waffley versatile (beep boop).
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #2976 on: 03 May, 2017, 09:35:54 pm »
A 3 egg frittata with shallots, red peppers, garlic, chillies, black olives, sliced ham & parmesan  :P

Gently fry leftovers in large pan, dunk in beaten egg, tip into a hot small frying pan until the bottom sets, sprinkle with parmesan & stick under the grill while you pour the wine.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2977 on: 21 May, 2017, 06:01:05 pm »
Roast spuds, carrots, cabbage and Yorkshires. Oh and roast bufalufaluf.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2978 on: 22 May, 2017, 05:30:37 am »
Roast Beast, as we call it...

« Reply #2979 on: 30 May, 2017, 10:13:54 pm »
I was planning to do something with the piece of chorizo I had left over from yesterday.   During a stroll through M&S a big Hake steak with a yellow reduced sticker jumped into my basket  :D

Finely diced garlic, shallot, chorizo & the cherry tomatos that are a bit too soft, simmer in olive oil.   Microwave some potatoes, then slice them & add to the mix. 

Gently fry Hake in butter, then pour the rest of the ingredients over it.  It won't win prizes for presentation but it was lovely with a chilled bottle of Oakham Citra  :P

« Reply #2980 on: 02 June, 2017, 10:26:58 pm »
Was going to have Kedgeree for supper this evening.
Just needed some spring onions.
M&S Food @ London Bridge didn't have any.
But they did have 20 minute Chicken Jalfrezi with Pilau Rice.
It was good, but I must remember to add more Oomph! to it next time.

Kedge can wait until tomorrow.  :)

« Reply #2981 on: 03 June, 2017, 08:16:42 pm »
Diced haddock steak simmering in coconut milk with garlic, ginger, chilli (fresh & fried) , spring onions......  over rice.

« Reply #2982 on: 14 June, 2017, 10:08:10 am »
Last night was a toasted bagel, slathered in eggs scrambled with garlic & herb Boursin cheese.     Very nommy  :P

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2983 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:21:12 pm »
Seafood gumbo al fresco in Ealing  :thumbsup:
Milk please, no sugar.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2984 on: 17 June, 2017, 04:54:45 pm »
Like I suspect a good percentage of the population will be doing today, I have the bbq going and have belly pork ribs and burgers ready to go on, once it is up to temp. But how do you cook those two on the same grill? I hear you ask. Easy, the pork is done well away from the coals and when that is nearly ready the burgers are done directly over the coals.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2985 on: 25 June, 2017, 09:48:29 pm »
This was dinner last night, a wedding anniversary dinner and also after Mrs F's first 100k.
As you can see, being in ScotlandLand, we get chips too. This was important.
But the main reason I post it is to gross Ian out.

Cadiz by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

ian

« Reply #2986 on: 29 June, 2017, 10:05:15 pm »
It belatedly worked.

Ugh, molluscs. Eek, crustaceans. I can eat mussels if I don't think about it. But I undoubtedly at some point do, usually as one slithers over my tongue. I can only do it in Belgium, on account of the ready availability of suitable beer-based mollusc antidotes. I can't do crustacea, too many bad experiences. The Baltimore Incident. Frankly a meal shouldn't feel like it's a scene cut from Starship Troopers. Oh and the time my girlfriend (at the time), a born-and-bred Boston girl, decided to demonstrate her lobster necropsy skills by dismembered an epic Maine crustacean right in front of me. She had a cute little bib. I had a nice shirt. That ended up decorated with lobster guts. Was that me? she says. I don't bloody well see anyone else dismembering a lobster in front of me do I now? Oh I love it when you talk British to me, she says.

It wasn't the worst evening ever. But it would have been even better without the lobster guts.

« Reply #2987 on: 29 June, 2017, 10:32:07 pm »
I've just eaten oysters, for the first & I suspect last time.  3 big juicy oysters, from the Menai Strait.  One with Tabasco, one with Worcestershire sauce, one with dill pickle & vodka.

I was in no danger of vomiting,  they were not that bad.   Very, very sea foody.  Very briny,  like taking a mouth & noseful when swimming at the beach...

Interesting combination of textures & flavours, but not one I'd really be incllned to repeat.

We'd booked early for an after work meal & were the only people in there until another couple arrived.    The waitress got the order confused..... :facepalm:

Food was lovely, but we both thought the total a tad pricey, especially the £30 for 4 glasses of beaujolais....       £91 for about 7-8 small plates, 4 glasses of wine & 2 decent cocktails (Old Fashioned & Sidecar)

https://confidentials.com/liverpool/restaurant-review-petit-parle-Liverpool?id=5942811cd5b36

« Reply #2988 on: 30 June, 2017, 02:28:52 pm »
Cod & chips from the mobile chippy.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2989 on: 22 July, 2017, 10:32:46 pm »
Risotto of red onions, sundried tomatoes and roasted red peppers, a bucketload of parmesan, and steamed purple cabbage dressed with avocado oil and lime juice, then Scottish raspberries with Venezuelan chocolate icecream.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2990 on: 22 July, 2017, 10:43:09 pm »
I've just eaten oysters, for the first & I suspect last time.  3 big juicy oysters, from the Menai Strait.  One with Tabasco, one with Worcestershire sauce, one with dill pickle & vodka

I've only had oysters the once, and took some persuading. These were in New Orleans and I think were Oysters Rockerfeller. At any rate they were covered in crunchy cheese and, as with all food in Nola, an unhealthy bucket of butter. They were very tasty. Not remotely tempted to eat them raw with the texture of snot though...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2991 on: 23 July, 2017, 08:37:45 am »
I've only ever eaten them with or without a squeeze of lemon.  My first encounter was at work in 1972, when the company sent our software office 3 or four baskets at Christmas for just a dozen people. We had to shell them ourselves, so I learnt to open them before I ever tasted one - I think I did about three dozen. Ate them with champagne and vodka and we all ended up pi-eyed.  Got a bad one in Stuttgart about 15 years later, haven't touched them since.

Anyway, last night I had beef carpaccio with a basil marinade and tomatoes from a neighbour's garden, with fresh baguette and butter. Yum.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2992 on: 23 July, 2017, 01:47:02 pm »
I found an enormous oyster on the beach last week, while walking the dog - at least 4 times the size of a regular oyster such as you might buy to eat from the fish market.

Local folk knowledge is that when the baby oysters are born off the coast of Whitstable, they swim off for a lap of the Isle of Sheppey and by the time they get back to base (about three years later, iirc), they are ready to eat. This one looked like it must have done several laps.

I got to wondering what an oyster that big would be like to eat, but there are signs everywhere warning you not to eat shellfish off the beach* so I left it. Probably too much of a mouthful to eat whole from the shell, but might be good in a steak and oyster pie. I wouldn't eat them at this time of year anyway - the old adage about an R in the month is sound advice, partly because they don't keep well in hot weather, but mostly because they're not at their best in summer anyway - summer is spawning season for oysters, and they can be chewy and snotty; they're at their best in late autumn/early winter when they're plump and creamy. Preferably washed down with a strong, dark stout, breton cider or champagne.

*The ones you buy in the fish market are kept in purification tanks for a while after harvesting to flush out the nasties from the estuary.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2993 on: 23 July, 2017, 01:53:14 pm »
Chicken, ham and leek pie with broccoli, peas, carrots, and some of our own potatoes.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2994 on: 26 July, 2017, 07:47:20 pm »
Sprats (reduced, half a pound for half a pound - how could I resist?).

And then some parmigiana.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2995 on: 10 September, 2017, 07:37:27 pm »
Chicken and mushroom pie with veg; plum, apple, and Calvados crumble and cream.

dim

« Reply #2996 on: 10 September, 2017, 07:42:23 pm »
This was dinner last night, a wedding anniversary dinner and also after Mrs F's first 100k.
As you can see, being in ScotlandLand, we get chips too. This was important.
But the main reason I post it is to gross Ian out.

Cadiz by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

I'd pay very good money for that meal .... my sort of food
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2997 on: 10 September, 2017, 07:47:42 pm »
Friend posted similar picture of seafood from her travels. I thought it would gross out her kids and my David. It did.
Kids had pizza whilst she enjoyed seafood.
David was grossed out by photo alone.

ian

« Reply #2998 on: 10 September, 2017, 09:52:01 pm »
This thread is like crustacea and mollusca flashbacks for me. My many tentacled 'Nam. I was accused the other day of not liking seafood, only semi-accurately, if I do say. It's a not a bad thing, seafood doesn't like me either. I ate a scallop once, it spent the rest of the night reminding me. I wouldn't have minded so much had it been worth it, but it wasn't unless you like vaguely chewy nothingness. I did eat an oyster once too, I don't know why, but I suspect was very, very drunk, the sort of drink where everything and anything seems like a good idea. It wasn't. I think I downed the bottle of Tabasco afterwards. Then all the Champagne.

But anyway, seafood, I can eat fish out of tins. I don't know what canning does to fish, but I'll happily eat my own body weight in tinned tuna and salmon. Oh, and sardines. I love tinned sardines. I must have cat genes, our cats are pretty meh on fresh fish, but they merely hear a can being opened and it's Crazy Town. Me and Bad Cat ate two tins of sardines last night just because we could. Seriously, we both just sat on the kitchen floor stuffing them in our mouths. We're class. Don't tell my wife. The cat hadn't even been drinking. At least I had an excuse.

I also like fish fingers. Obviously. What 80s kid doesn't?

I think it's the smell. I have a hypernose, I can detect fish a mile off and it triggers an ick reaction. I'm not good with smells. I have a deep-seated paranoia about having BO. I make people sniff me all the time to be sure. No, they say, and then go sit in another train carriage. I don't understand it.

No fish tonight. A big chicken curry that's been cooking in the slow cooker all day and roasted spiced cauliflower that's doing its roasting as we write. Fortunately the cat likes poppadoms.

« Reply #2999 on: 11 September, 2017, 12:10:31 am »

I'd pay very good money for that meal

It's two and a half months old. I'd be very, very wary.