Author Topic: Cycling World Magazine  (Read 11991 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Cycling World Magazine
« Reply #25 on: 27 December, 2012, 11:41:58 pm »
They also sell it in Stanfords.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #26 on: 10 February, 2013, 11:11:57 am »
In the current edition there is a cracking article by Charlie Chadwick about a 1928 "We.R.7" New Year weekend in the Lake District.

I have not yet Clarion's article therein ;)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27 on: 13 February, 2013, 05:37:55 pm »
The Chadwick article is so good it tempted me to buy the book.  :o But I didn't, or at least haven't.

« Reply #28 on: 15 March, 2013, 05:45:10 pm »
The February 2013 issue never made an appearance in the newsagents in my neck of the woods, and the March one has just arrived.

Does anyone have a Feb 13 issue in good condition that could be diverted from their recycling pile for a few quid?

Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 15 March, 2013, 07:41:58 pm »
Was there a February issue? I spotted the March issue in WHS today (but haven't yet looked at it) and the previous one I got was January.

« Reply #30 on: 25 April, 2013, 06:14:38 pm »
The February 2013 issue never made an appearance in the newsagents in my neck of the woods, and the March one has just arrived.

Does anyone have a Feb 13 issue in good condition that could be diverted from their recycling pile for a few quid?

Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Still trying to find a copy of the February 2013 issue, if anyone has finished with theirs.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #31 on: 25 April, 2013, 07:13:58 pm »
I don't want to appear cruel but someone should either get their act together with this mag or put it out of its misery ...  the content is pretty variable (or was when I last saw a copy) with a lot of recycled press releases and a few touring articles.

There IS room for a good mag in the market ... but it needs to be produced professionally and punctually.

Rob
(who gave up with C+, Cycle Active years ago and seldom bothers to open the wrapper for CTC Cycle mag)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #32 on: 13 May, 2013, 01:14:06 pm »
In the current edition (May 2013) the BCQ feature is about the Rollright Stones.

Coincidentally(sp)....

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=69732.0

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #33 on: 13 May, 2013, 02:33:42 pm »
We have a Cycling World contributor on YACF? That wouldn't surprise me terribly. That there is a May edition and it's already out does surprise me.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #34 on: 13 May, 2013, 03:37:50 pm »
We have a Cycling World contributor on YACF?

That's not what I said.
I don't know that we do or do not.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 13 May, 2013, 05:14:54 pm »
I know you didn't say that we do, I was just speculating. I haven't yet seen the May issue (btw was there ever an April issue? If there was, I missed it) but I expect it is just coincidence - probably!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #36 on: 13 May, 2013, 05:28:13 pm »
btw was there ever an April issue?

I too missed it if there was.
I'm not convinced that it is published every month which is why I don't have a 12 month subscription.My local-ish newsagent orders two copies each month & saves one for me.She sends me a text to advise that it's arrived.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 13 May, 2013, 05:33:35 pm »
That's a newsagent to treasure.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 17 May, 2013, 01:09:03 pm »
I got a copy on Tuesday. Some good stuff in it - I'm enjoying Charlie Chadwick's journals so much I'd consider buying the book, except it seems they're going to serialise the whole thing in the magazine anyway! - but, as robgul says upthread, an awful lot of filler, promoting charity rides and recycling marketing releases.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #39 on: 17 May, 2013, 02:50:28 pm »
but, as robgul says upthread, an awful lot of filler, promoting charity rides and recycling marketing releases.

Yes,this issue is particularly naff in this regard.It's the poorest edition for a long time.

I hope I'm wrong but it seems to be going the way of other cyclomags with glossy paper full of adverts;some disguised as features or contemporary text.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #40 on: 17 May, 2013, 06:28:46 pm »
I count at least 28 pages in this month's issue which are commercial promotions posing as content. Mind you, a few of them are interesting in themselves, eg the holiday in Morocco, and I guess they make the whole thing viable. Probably still worth it for e.g. Charlie Chadwick and the Informals, but let's see what it's like next month issue.

« Reply #41 on: 22 June, 2013, 08:41:57 pm »
Having come across this mag independently it seems to be much more of what I would like from a mag. Will be obtaining a copy and may take a sub. C+ is becoming  a string of adverts connected by bling articles.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #42 on: 18 July, 2013, 09:41:10 pm »
The current edition is a vast improvement on the last one.There are several features of interest,not least of which is the BCQ one.
I always enjoy this for & of itself but this one is particularly interesting 'cause it's on my patch.I have done 2 of the 3 clues & the third one is coincidentally next on my list.

Some while ago I realised that the editor is very probably a local-ish chap & a comment in this issue confirms this suspicion.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #43 on: 18 July, 2013, 09:43:48 pm »
Does that mean there's a July issue out now? I looked in WHS today and didn't see it. Jake's Bikes have it too, I'll pop in some time.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #44 on: 18 July, 2013, 09:52:04 pm »
Does that mean there's a July issue out now?

It's the June issue I have collected from my newsagemt today who has been saving it  for me for a few days.
hth

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #45 on: 19 July, 2013, 11:17:07 am »
I checked this morning and the last one I have is May. So the June issue has come out in the middle of July? This is not usual magazine publishing practice! I'll have a look for it elsewhere today.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #46 on: 19 July, 2013, 11:23:44 am »
The publishing history of "Cycling World" is a stranger to the normal etiquette of the industry ::-)

This is why I do not subscribe.

Can you not ask a local newsagent to stock it for you;as I did?

edited to show correct magazine title

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #47 on: 19 January, 2014, 03:01:42 pm »
A new issue has appeared in my local WH Smiths. According to the cover, it was published in November 2013.  ::-) Had a flick through it and there's really nothing much interesting in it now, certainly not £3.99 worth, so I think I shan't bother with it anymore.

« Reply #48 on: 20 January, 2014, 10:54:41 pm »
I'll maybe see it in the newsagents in Motherwell round about November then....

Poursuivant

• a.k.a. Steve Murray
« Reply #49 on: 21 January, 2014, 11:13:40 am »
If you're ever nearer civilization(?), the WHSmith in Sauchiehall Street seems to be a stockist, or at least I used to notice such on its shelves before I became a subscriber roughly this time last year.

Recently (in the last 2-3 months), the cover's had a revamp but the content (and regularity of distribution) remains as idiosyncratic as before. This may be a comfort to some . . .