Author Topic: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday CANCELLED  (Read 65527 times)

Re: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday
« Reply #25 on: 05 April, 2012, 08:40:32 pm »
Looking good...

« Reply #26 on: 06 April, 2012, 12:34:44 pm »
Not sure whether I will be one of those disappearing off into the distance (except behind........ ::-)).

I'll be the one on the yellow two wheel recumbent (the trike had fun on this one last year!).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: 06 April, 2012, 01:25:23 pm »
HK and I will be there.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #28 on: 06 April, 2012, 10:39:29 pm »
Hope Martin will have route sheets. Our printer's broken >:(

« Reply #29 on: 06 April, 2012, 11:25:42 pm »
As usual I have made up my own route sheets (Bigger font in case it rains and I have to go sans specs, plus I like to add more distance markers) so you can have my copy if Martin has no spares. It has a bit of my scruffy notation on it but still perfectly readable so I will bring it along.

« Reply #30 on: 07 April, 2012, 10:12:53 pm »
Well that was quite a tough ride, head or side wind for most of the route to Spalding, then it magically drops and turns westerly for the last leg. Was really looking forward to being blown back to Huntingdon. Had to refuel with fish and chips at Thorney to get those last 30 kms in  :P

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #31 on: 07 April, 2012, 11:19:00 pm »
fastest 200 of the year - and I still have to take the winter tyres off !!
Towed to start with into a stiff wind by LWandB, with HK and Drossall in the group.- shake them off at 1st control with a quick in and out - but then they pass me with some 30kms to go into Kings Lynn - and I decide the pace is too much to try to hang on.
KL caused problems trying to find a good quick place for a top up - I was with Martin and Sarah ( notp). We tried to cross by ferry but it would have been too long a wait.
Steady old trundle with M & S and an increasing group up to the edge of the Wash - and then blessed relief - it is now wind behind. Lose a lot of the group as 2 visitations strike them - but on homeward run -I am eventually caught again by LWB , HK and 3 more . LWB hangs back to keep me company for last 40kms or so - anyway they can not go until I reach Huntingdon  as they are handing over HKs bike to be taken towards Boab on loan.
Quick pint at the finish in the George - load HKs bike and off home.

Thx Martin - unusual Audax ride - I have never had such scenery before - some daffs but no tulips these days.

Wind made it tough until the turn round - but then it was fun.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #32 on: 08 April, 2012, 07:24:45 am »
I'm rather afraid that we slightly spoiled the day for some customers at the George at the finish :-[

They had been for a pleasant ride around Huntingdon and were finishing off with a drink. They were curious to know about all the cyclists turning up, and made the mistake of asking. "What, not in one day, you did stop overnight? But you'd have to stop somewhere for food (yes) and you wouldn't have time."

Unfortunately I don't think their ride seemed so far after all :D

« Reply #33 on: 08 April, 2012, 11:27:37 am »
A couple of photos taken at Guy's Head (where the two lighthouses straddle the river north of Sutton Bridge)

« Reply #34 on: 08 April, 2012, 11:59:38 am »
I had a good day out,headwind up to Kings Lynn led by a strong group of riders that Fidgetbuzz spoke of.Is littlewheels and big, the big guy with the Paris/Brest top on?Lost them at Kings Lynn looking for a cafe'.Drossal caught me at Crowland and got me back on route when I missed a instruction.Lost him for a while when I stoped for a Milkshake at Thorney.Caught him up about 15kms from the finish.Thanks Drossal for helping with the navigation  into Huntington :),my Garmin city navigator doesn't recognize cycle paths.All in a a good day out and my first Randonee on fixed wheel. :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 08 April, 2012, 12:31:20 pm »
Big guy Fat bloke wearing a PBP Audax bragging jersey is a fair description. Some daffodils sighted but any tulips were well-hidden.

Headwind wasn't strong and no hills meant a comfortable ride. A nice change from the nasty short hills of the Chilterns and Cotswolds, a recommended event. Climber-types like HK tend to disagree, of course.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #36 on: 08 April, 2012, 12:54:38 pm »
Just for clarification - LWB was not wearing the ordinary PBP top - that is far too common - he had on the PBP Audax top - different event - held every 5 years - different rules etc etc - ask him to describe all about it next time you see him or HK - the lady riding with him.

« Reply #37 on: 08 April, 2012, 04:12:56 pm »
Headwind wasn't strong ...
Really? I thought it was a gale ;D

LWB basically towed me, and half the field at times, to King's Lynn. A large group rode out to March. From there, LWB collected one or two of us and offered us a tow. We picked up more over the next few miles. I was doing the full echelon thing, moving from side to side as the road swung, just to hang on. We broke when some of us missed a turning, and I did the last few miles into King's Lynn with LWB and HK.

After lunch, the three of us set off again, with me still wheel-sucking. Bit disappointing, given that I had been able to do a fair share of the work in the Stevenage event, but LWB was very gracious. About half way to Spalding, I blew, and he even came back for me then, but soon afterwards HK punctured, and they sent me ahead, coming back past with about five miles to go on that leg.

By Spalding, I was really feeling it, and almost packed, but a cup of tea and a cake in the cafe revived me. As I left the town, nightrider and companion passed in front of me, but I didn't see which way they went, so stopped to check my directions. This resulted in a chase all the way to Crowland.

The ride back was good, with wind assistance, and eventually I just shaded inside my target of 10 hours, which was pleasing after my bad patch.

Thanks very much to stevevw and crew for giving me lifts in both directions - just as well, since I gather that my planned train was cancelled.

HK

« Reply #38 on: 08 April, 2012, 07:29:36 pm »
A well run and thought out ride.  A big thank you to the long suffering Mrs M for acting as the finish check point and Easter Bunny!  If you haven't ridden this one, make a note to do so next year.

A couple of pictures of the day, including LWaB in his bragging jersey at Spalding and the co-pilot having some fun at the first check point.

Double Dutch 200 Rando by Judith Swallow, on Flickr

Double Dutch 200 Rando by Judith Swallow, on Flickr

Double Dutch 200 rando by Judith Swallow, on Flickr

« Reply #39 on: 08 April, 2012, 08:24:09 pm »
my Garmin city navigator doesn't recognize cycle paths.
If you use a track (as provided by the organiser) or a route with "follow roads" off, it doesn't matter so much. I was using a track on this occasion and barely referred to the route sheet. I took a couple of wrong turns and spotted them immediately, because the arrow representing my location moved off the track.

« Reply #40 on: 09 April, 2012, 09:17:07 am »
J

Thanks for the photos Camrider; they certainly show the big skies well, hope you enjoyed that little diversion; the most Dutch bit of the whole ride IMO

That was an interesting section and perfect photo op (as well as an extra feed stop). Please feel free to use my pics if they are any use (contact me if you want high res. copies)

As next year's event is the week after Easter I suspect the daff fields will once again be denuded.

Martin

« Reply #41 on: 09 April, 2012, 09:38:24 am »
As next year's event is the week after Easter I suspect the daff fields will once again be denuded.

well actually all those fields we passed still had the flowers on; a lot of them were dead having flowered several weeks previously, no idea how one field can be completely dead and another still half out. The only place I've actually seen the flowers being picked rather than harvested for bulbs is by Saracen's Head on the A17 (on my original DIY route which went to Boston but 230km)

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #42 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:56:05 am »
no idea how one field can be completely dead and another still half out.
Simples - different varieties of daff. have different flowering times

« Reply #43 on: 10 April, 2012, 08:58:22 am »
This was my first 200k and it was a good ride (I was one of "Team Hitchin" by the way!). I didn't look up much until the tailwind kicked in after Holbeach St Matthew but I was pleasantly supprised at how strong I felt at the end (the fact that it was flat must have helped). Next challenge is to find a more hilly 200k to do so that I don't feel strong at the end!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #44 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:16:45 am »
Provisional results online now; 43 finishes out of 63 entries with 3 DNF

LWaB; were Springfields OK about taking bikes in? Mrs Zoom and I were asked to move them out by the car park but they said they'd keep an eye on them by CCTV

Including a finish by someone who left his brevet card behind at lunch, to reduce weight I guess.

Nobody seemed concerned about where the bikes were parked in the courtyard while we were there but we were only there long enough for a swift pint before toddling home.

Martin

« Reply #45 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:37:58 am »
A swift pint; in Springfields?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #46 on: 10 April, 2012, 10:20:07 am »
Which stop was Springfields? We just had a pint at the finish. At lunch we ate in the sandwich bar with the bikes locked against the opposite wall. Nobody seemed concerned then.

Martin

« Reply #47 on: 10 April, 2012, 10:21:57 am »
Which stop was Springfields? We just had a pint at the finish. At lunch we ate in the sandwich bar with the bikes locked against the opposite wall. Nobody seemed concerned then.

this one

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #48 on: 10 April, 2012, 10:33:28 am »
Oh that. We just walked into the maelstrom looking for coffee and a toilet. Costa and a long line, so only a pass mark, at a push. That is a weird place, lots of folk wandering about amongst stores selling stuff few people were buying. Silly way to occupy the day, to my mind. Still, takes all sorts.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #49 on: 10 April, 2012, 11:13:06 am »
The coffee shop didn't have a problem with our bikes leant against a wall inside their fenced compound and neither did anybody else. Most folk drinking coffee were huddled inside avoiding the fresh air (= cold).