Author Topic: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes  (Read 228896 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes
« Reply #25 on: 04 July, 2012, 10:11:48 pm »
So did I...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #26 on: 04 July, 2012, 10:42:53 pm »
Do not load your bike like I do.  It handles like a supermarket trolley full of car batteries.

Do NOT drink out of the front waterbottle.  It is there to keep the front wheel on the ground.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #27 on: 04 July, 2012, 11:34:10 pm »
Interesting. I’ve been reading a little about racks, panniers and what-not, and one thing that read somewhere was to the effect that ideally the centre of gravity of your rear panniers should be in front of the axle. Now, when I read that, I thought 1) I’ve never had a bike like that and 2) that would need seriously long chainstays to avoid heel contact with the panniers. But looking at this thread it seems even a LHT wouldn’t be able to get panniers that far forward.

« Reply #28 on: 04 July, 2012, 11:41:29 pm »

On LEJOG last year, somewhere not far south of Inverness, skirting round the south side of Loch Ness.
Kona Sutra 2009, with Shimergo set up. Ortlieb rear panniers, Carradice carradry on the front. Ace trip!

And more of a close-up at Inverness station

« Reply #29 on: 05 July, 2012, 12:18:41 am »
OK, here's a pic from my recent trip down through France and across N Spain, en route to Santander. Guess the location:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #30 on: 05 July, 2012, 06:54:24 am »
IIRC, that's the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #31 on: 05 July, 2012, 08:09:44 am »
A few from a trip to the outer Hebrides earlier this year. 

At the start of the trip, under the Kessock bridge in Inverness:

Bike is a Salsa Vaya, new this year.  Basic Shimano kit mostly, apart from a gorgeous Middleburn jewellery-like chainset, 46-36-24.  The 24 ring saw plenty of use, in conjunction with the 32 sprocket.  Tubus racks, Altura panniers.  Downtube shifters, which it took me all of 10 minutes to get used to again after 15 or so years of Ergo levers.  26" wheels, with BB7 cable discs and 1.5" Marathons.  His name's New Walter. 

This is at Huisinis, where I camped for a couple of nights:

And on the road to Huisinis:

View from the saddle:

Salsa Woodchipper bars - shallow drop, highly flared, extremely comfy. Cane Creek brake levers, cos they're the same shape as Campag ergos, and as a bonus you can get 'em with retrotastic gum-coloured hoods.

Comfortable, stable, lovely.  And orange.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #32 on: 05 July, 2012, 10:12:06 am »

Two from a trip to the Cevennes in France in 2010.
Dawes Sardar, (since fitted a disc to the front), Brooks B17 saddle, Carradice front and rear panniers and rack bag, Ortlieb bar bag, Saunders Spacepacker tent, Trangia stove. The bottle under the downtube is for the meths.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #33 on: 05 July, 2012, 10:26:16 am »
Earlier version of same bike (have now put bull bars on as above), from the Luberon region in 2009.

Those village water fountains are a god send...... next photo was moments after the first

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #34 on: 05 July, 2012, 11:06:56 am »
^^^^^
A Dawes Sardar.An absolutely cracking tourer.One of those bikes that is better under load than otherwise.
 :thumbsup:
I've always regretted selling mine :(

What I should have done is NOT "roadified" my Cannondale M800 mtb & sold it as purchased & kept the Sardar.
Hindsight is always 20-20 vision dontyaknow ::-)

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #35 on: 05 July, 2012, 12:19:44 pm »
my Thorn Raven Tour ....doing what it does best on The Faccombe4's recent mini French tour in Normandy.  Note that careful consideration has been taken to rehydration during that evening's camp  :thumbsup:

luggage: Ortlieb bike packer plus on the back and roller Plus on the front and bar bag
Tyres: Schwalbe Marathons - 1.5"
Saddle: Spa Nidd - broken in on tour!
Rohloff Hub
Wine - French of course!
Calvados - from the local market!!

appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #36 on: 05 July, 2012, 01:52:19 pm »
My Orbit on Tour - France 2009 about to board Ferry to Brest

Karrimor Rear panniers
Agu Front
Topeak barbag
Ortieb seat pack

Corsica 2010 - Bike upgraded with Bar end shifters and dynohub

Agu front panniers (welded seams) fell apart in the heat. Had to super glue them back together!

Scotland West Coast Tour 2012 - Applecross Peninsula

YHA Tour so traveling light

LEE

« Reply #37 on: 05 July, 2012, 03:29:51 pm »
cyclofabrica setting a high standard of photos perfect for this thread.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #38 on: 05 July, 2012, 04:20:10 pm »
This is my new favourite thread - I've never toured on a bike but absolutely love the idea of it, plus it feeds my luggage/bag/gadget fetish

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #39 on: 05 July, 2012, 04:49:18 pm »
Sorry, a bit of a crap back drop (just outside my garage door).  One heavily pimped Claud Butler Rock with Ortlieb Backroller panniers, Topeak bar bag and Carradice Barley just before setting off on last year's mid-Essex yacf Xmas do (you can just about see the fairy lights):

A bit better.  Tina our Orbit Routier tandem on the Atlantic coast of France in 2010.  More Ortlieb loveliness:

« Reply #40 on: 05 July, 2012, 05:57:21 pm »
cyclofabrica setting a high standard of photos perfect for this thread.

Thanks Lee!  ;D

Last 2 for now... Mallorca Tour 2010 - Final Day arriving at Palma at Sunset

« Reply #41 on: 05 July, 2012, 09:44:53 pm »
Two pictures of the Spa Ti Tourer from my recent Ireland tour.

Photo by Emmanuel Sarraco. A French fellow cycle camper we happened to camp two nights running at the same sites.

By the peace bridge in Londonderry.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #42 on: 07 July, 2012, 10:59:54 am »
The definition of fully loaded seems pretty elastic, not least my own.

The lightest I've toured, too light, it's the only tour where I'd wished I'd packed more.  Bike is my Hewitt Cheviot SE, a great bike that I don't ride enough.  No clues as to where it is, on a island hopping ten day Scottish tour.
I've toured like that - from hotel to hotel, or (if one counts it as touring) hostel/B&B weekends.  On a Roberts Audax.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

PH

« Reply #43 on: 08 July, 2012, 07:03:58 pm »
The definition of fully loaded seems pretty elastic, not least my own.

The lightest I've toured, too light, it's the only tour where I'd wished I'd packed more.  Bike is my Hewitt Cheviot SE, a great bike that I don't ride enough.  No clues as to where it is, on a island hopping ten day Scottish tour.
I've toured like that - from hotel to hotel, or (if one counts it as touring) hostel/B&B weekends.  On a Roberts Audax.

Yes, different strokes, I hostel tour with the saddlebag and bar bag.  My companion on a hostel/B&B E2E took more than I do camping, fluffy towel, trainers, jeans... that's not a criticism, he never asked me to pedal for him.

« Reply #44 on: 08 July, 2012, 09:33:03 pm »

Dawes Sardar, (since fitted a disc to the front), Brooks B17 saddle, Carradice front and rear panniers and rack bag, Ortlieb bar bag, Saunders Spacepacker tent, Trangia stove. The bottle under the downtube is for the meths.

« Reply #45 on: 08 July, 2012, 09:34:23 pm »

Excellent carradice panniers in action great to see them keep me in work yaaaaaayyyy

« Reply #46 on: 09 July, 2012, 10:01:11 pm »

Just before a non-camping night at the Severn Bridge Travelodge, but I had camped the 3 nights before.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Chris N

« Reply #47 on: 16 July, 2012, 07:11:22 pm »
On-One Inbred 29er in off road bikepacking mode, at the western end of the Kerry Ridgeway.

Loaded Inbred by cnarborough, on Flickr

Setup as a rigid dinglespeed (32/20 + 34/18), with full set of frame bags for luggage: Bikepack.eu saddlebag, Revelate Designs Tangle bag and an Alpkit drybag on the bars.  I was also carrying a small backpack for water, food and some clothing.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: 30 July, 2012, 03:46:16 pm »
My Roberts Transcontinental, rocking the Full Ortlieb, with added Arkel goodness, this weekend:

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 30 July, 2012, 03:58:28 pm »
Ah, I also took one of those...