Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 473530 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2225 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:16:36 am »
Maybe take some time to find out why people feel strongly.

Because they feel that one day AUK will decide that helemts are now compulsory...

Not bloodyespecially likely, IMO.

« Reply #2226 on: 06 December, 2017, 09:15:49 am »
Maybe take some time to find out why people feel strongly.

Because they feel that one day AUK will decide that helemts are now compulsory... To be honest, an association with 6,000 members which promotes organised events with 50-100 participants (with one exception) is almost invisible and has zero mediatic power... so if one day helmets will become compulsory by law, it will not be because of AUK pushing for it.

On the other hand, if helmets will become law, then there is nothing AUK can do to stop that happening... so you can all chill out, do as you think it's best, follow the law whatever that is and stop getting agitated about some otherwordly realities that might or might never happen and more importantly you can't do anything about.

Equally, I don't see the point of someone waving his hands to persuade AUK to pursue a helmet only coverage... the law is clear and the law does not impose helmets... end of the aggro
On the other hand if all the anti-compulsion people do nothing then the pro-helmet zealots will win.
While the debate might get a little heated (!) at times, it is because people do feel very strongly that the evidence for/against helmet compulsion should be fairly weighed.
That is why I won't chill and just accept the 'facts' when they are quite clearly dubious opinion.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

hillbilly

« Reply #2227 on: 06 December, 2017, 09:36:32 am »
I thought this was an excellent edition.  Particularly the article about audax from a female perspective and the background piece on the Dartmoor Devil.  Some really nice pictures associated with the Pacific Coast and French touring ride articles as well.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2228 on: 06 December, 2017, 12:11:22 pm »

On the other hand if all the anti-compulsion people do nothing then the pro-helmet zealots will win.
While the debate might get a little heated (!) at times, it is because people do feel very strongly that the evidence for/against helmet compulsion should be fairly weighed.
That is why I won't chill and just accept the 'facts' when they are quite clearly dubious opinion.

My personal feeling is that compulsory helmets will come as part of a deal... where more investment will be put in place for infrastructure, but what is perceived as road safety will be stepped up to make motorists happy, so high viz, helmets, reflectors, bells and the all shabadan, possibly including electronic technology.
I don't want to go into the merits or demerits of helmets.

What it is crystal clear to me is that Audax UK will not play a part in this process, in essence because it does not have a public profile which is big enough to lobby one way or the other... nobody knows it exists. It is therefore pointless as a member to lobby AUK one way or the other way... so the Arrivee article is pointless and the rants about the article are equally pointless

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #2229 on: 06 December, 2017, 12:33:06 pm »
Wasn't the article about censorship of pictures in Arrivee, something AUK is in total control of ?

I wouldn't call any discussion / debate / argument...rants about it pointless.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2230 on: 06 December, 2017, 12:50:02 pm »
Wasn't the article about censorship of pictures in Arrivee, something AUK is in total control of ?

The article is basically asking AUK to take a position, which I think is not in the nature of AUK. My understanding is that AUK sanctions events in the ACP framework but leaves to the organisers to decide on the rest. Asking AUK to take a position in a debate about helmets is pointless.

Having a go at such article is in my opinion equally a waste of time, although I do appreciate a debate was the very reason the article was published, so someone must be happy about it...

As long as we all agree nothing will ever come out of it... we can waste our time debating this (frankly tired) issue

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2231 on: 06 December, 2017, 12:53:43 pm »
There is nothing wrong with the AUK forum.
It is not generally sufficiently exciting or entertaining for me to bother visiting very often.

Agreed.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2232 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:11:39 pm »
Actually there’s no reason why AUK shouldn’t be part of any process that fights the demonisation of cycling. It represents, after all, one of the purest forms of cycling.

Lobby groups can be small; and need to be informed; it’s what they say that matters.

Unfortunately the helmet compulsion lobby is not small and not informed.
It is simpler than it looks.

BeMoreMike

« Reply #2233 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:19:42 pm »

The article is basically asking AUK to take a position, which I think is not in the nature of AUK. My understanding is that AUK sanctions events in the ACP framework but leaves to the organisers to decide on the rest. Asking AUK to take a position in a debate about helmets is pointless.

Having a go at such article is in my opinion equally a waste of time, although I do appreciate a debate was the very reason the article was published, so someone must be happy about it...

As long as we all agree nothing will ever come out of it... we can waste our time debating this (frankly tired) issue

I agree with you completely about the articles attempts to get AUK to make a statement (apologies, my comment above wasn't meant as clickbait to you).

The only way the helmet debate will ever be resolved will be with legislation, which imo will probably never happen.
My own position in this is somewhat contradictory: I wear one myself and would encourage anyone else to do so, but would be 100% against any compulsion (legally or AUK's ruling).

I hope any debate / objection to the article's censorship request isn't ignored. Thankfully there seems to be no support for this (on here anyway) and as I've already mentioned previously in this thread, the picture on the front cover of this months edition shouts a thousand words.

BeMoreMike

« Reply #2234 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:23:14 pm »
Actually there’s no reason why AUK shouldn’t be part of any process that fights the demonisation of cycling. It represents, after all, one of the purest forms of cycling.

Lobby groups can be small; and need to be informed; it’s what they say that matters.

Unfortunately the helmet compulsion lobby is not small and not informed.

A very good point, worth remembering. :thumbsup:

« Reply #2235 on: 06 December, 2017, 01:55:13 pm »

I think there's a difference between having a go at the article's argument and having a go at the decision to publish it and the choice of headline.

Anyone who's been involved in any sort of helmet debate before must surely know that they produce nothing positive, change nobody's minds and generally make everyone feel worse. Why publish it, other than to troll the readership?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2236 on: 06 December, 2017, 02:37:43 pm »

I think there's a difference between having a go at the article's argument and having a go at the decision to publish it and the choice of headline.

Anyone who's been involved in any sort of helmet debate before must surely know that they produce nothing positive, change nobody's minds and generally make everyone feel worse. Why publish it, other than to troll the readership?

I tend to agree Arrivee is not the place to seek controvercy...

« Reply #2237 on: 06 December, 2017, 02:43:38 pm »

Speak for yourself.

I think it is perfectly possible to change people's opinions on helmet use.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2238 on: 06 December, 2017, 02:50:58 pm »
I wonder if the rider who complained about the cover photo of a non helmet wearing rider, has done a risk assessment of riding with lights / gopro strapped to his helmet?

« Reply #2239 on: 06 December, 2017, 04:07:01 pm »
I wonder if the rider who complained about the cover photo of a non helmet wearing rider, has done a risk assessment of riding with lights / gopro strapped to his helmet?

I once crashed with a light strapped to my helmet, the light shattered into 3 pieces and hasn't work since, therefore that light must have saved my life.

« Reply #2240 on: 11 December, 2017, 05:36:52 pm »
I received my copy of Arrivee on Saturday - it must have been rowed across the Atlantic - and it is a wonderful production full of very interesting and well written articles, well done those who were responsible for it.

« Reply #2241 on: 11 December, 2017, 05:51:03 pm »
I received my copy of Arrivee on Saturday - it must have been rowed across the Atlantic - and it is a wonderful production full of very interesting and well written articles, well done those who were responsible for it.

Glad your's arrived Charlie P.

Still waiting here.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #2242 on: 12 December, 2017, 12:37:05 am »
Glad your's arrived Charlie P.

Still waiting here.

I believe you are in for a treat. Many of the articles are LEL focussed which makes it interesting and this is the first time I have read the magazine cover to cover - and within a couple of days of its arrival. The publishers have a tough road to make the next edition as worthwhile a read.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2243 on: 12 December, 2017, 08:35:54 am »
It's a good one ... but they were never going to match last issue's cover picture.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2244 on: 12 December, 2017, 10:30:00 am »
It's a good one ... but they were never going to match last issue's cover picture.

We'll probably have to wait 4 years for that ;).

« Reply #2245 on: 12 December, 2017, 03:13:15 pm »

Someone you know?

« Reply #2246 on: 12 December, 2017, 05:16:31 pm »

Which one have you received? I'd expect the current issue to have been delayed by this much.

« Reply #2247 on: 12 December, 2017, 05:37:23 pm »
Which one have you received? I'd expect the current issue to have been delayed by this much.

Issue 138 Autumn/Winter 2017

« Reply #2248 on: 12 December, 2017, 05:40:02 pm »

Someone you know?

LEL evening pic

« Reply #2249 on: 12 December, 2017, 06:53:13 pm »
LEL evening pic

Are you referring to the rider with the rusty chain?